Page 11 of 116 FirstFirst ... 891011121314213661111 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Graphic: Fewer riders on Gold Line -- latimes.com

Subways cost more but look at the ridership stats.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Graphic: Fewer riders on Gold Line -- latimes.com

Subways cost more but look at the ridership stats.
    The stats are very encouraging. I believe that California subways and high speed rails can operate effectively all the way around... just as they do in Japan. Of course, Japan isn't stradled with political environmentalists. Damn them and the stranglehold they have on all California businesses, servics and utilities.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Imagination

Found a small article that explains a bit of the Alweg proposal. Just very interesting for those who hadn't seen this before. LA's Worst Transit Decision
    Please wait while we imagineer a new signature!

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Thank you D Duck.

After watching the Kings lose 4-2 to the Flames, I was caught in heavy freeway traffic, so we took a detour and followed the Gold Line from Little Tokyo to Atlantic. There were a few government buildings but it was mostly a stretch of taco stands and McDonalds. I hope new multiuse multistory developments will follow, it seemed like a train to no where.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D Duck View Post
    Found a small article that explains a bit of the Alweg proposal.
    Buses or monorail in Anaheim resort area?
    A monorail that runs not just through Disneyland but through Anaheim to the theme park.

That's what Anaheim is considering as it looks for the best way to connect tourists and local employees who travel into a new transportation hub near Angel Stadium to the Anaheim Resort District.
    Anaheim asks public: buses or monorail? | anaheim, monorail, city - News - The Orange County Register

Possible routes

http://www.ocregister.com/news/anahe...rail-city.html
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 11-30-2009 at 10:15 AM.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

CA/NV Maglev group fights on (10/03/09)
    Las Vegas, Nevada.
    Just as it was beginning to look bleak for the proposed maglev between Southern California and Las Vegas, it seems that maglev proponents are now gaining some momentum. Earlier this year Senate majority leader Harry Reid dumped his longtime support for maglev in favor of a steel rail proposal known as DesertXpress. The DesertXpress proposal would use 150 mph trains and travel between Las Vegas and the desert community of Victorville, California. The maglev, based on Transrapid technology, can operate at speeds of 310 mph and would link Las Vegas with Anaheim, California. DesertXpress would require passengers to find their own way between the populated areas and the desert. The maglev would have stations in Anaheim and at Ontario International Airport. Representatives of the American Magline Group, which wants to build the maglev, have stated they will forge ahead despite the competition. Neil Cummings, president of American Magline, said, "If somebody has a choice between 300 mile-an-hour travel between Anaheim and Las Vegas or an hour and 40 minute (trip) between Las Vegas and Victorville and then get a taxi or hitch a ride or whatever you do, Im pretty sure wed win a competition. In theory, even if DesertXpress gets built, Id have no problem building our train alongside it and put them out of business.
    Maglev in the running. Las Vegas Sun, 09/30/09.
    Maglev company vows to steam on. Las Vegas Review-Journal, 09/29/09
    Maglev developers forging ahead regardless of rival project. Las Vegas Sun, 09/28/09
    California-Nevada Super Speed Train Project website

• Senior Minion

So what do you guys think about the options between placing the Convention Center stop either on Katella or Harbor. Do you think Disney will allow the alternate route to go behind Cars Land? I can see some benefits to each. The Harbor location would make it more convenient for people staying at the hotels near the Convention Center and give guests arriving a nice view of the CC. The other location could be beneficial to Disney though in some ways. They could build another PM from there to near the DLH and PP. This would connect the resort better and allow Disney to add additional hotels near the PP hotel and market them all as convenient places to stay for convetioneers.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Park 3 gets service in any and all scenarios.

I think Disney will get whatever THEY want.

I think the central elevated route will win out.

• Senior Minion

I agree, I like the elevated central the most as well.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Would the central elevated route be for monorails or a people mover?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Would the central elevated route be for monorails or a people mover?
    It could be Monorail, People Mover or PRT, they haven't decided yet. They are asking for public input on both the routes and the type of system. A few of the articles seemed to suggest that the monorail was gaining a lot of support because many people felt it was nicer to ride, but it's also the most expensive. If Disney had plans to build their own resort area transportation system a PRT system could allow vehicles to travel on the city's and Disney's routes, thus would be the most expandable and convenient. PM would be the cheaper and very efficient over the long term. They all have their advantages.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    It could be Monorail, People Mover or PRT, they haven't decided yet. They are asking for public input on both the routes and the type of system. A few of the articles seemed to suggest that the monorail was gaining a lot of support because many people felt it was nicer to ride, but it's also the most expensive. If Disney had plans to build their own resort area transportation system a PRT system could allow vehicles to travel on the city's and Disney's routes, thus would be the most expandable and convenient. PM would be the cheaper and very efficient over the long term. They all have their advantages.
    Thanx for your comprehensive answer, Bob. Think I would prefer either a PM or Monorail system. This would have been Walt's dream, too.

Also, I definitely prefer the central elevated route.

• Rock Star Minion

Combine the North Route and the south portion of the Central Split. Make it a continuous loop track, a "detach-cable" People Mover system capable of going 40 mph between stops AND slowing down at stops (not stopping).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Blog Entries

I have to admit, I don't know what's along either route, or what other places along the way would be worthy of stops. We should drive the routes before we make up our minds, I think we're only looking at this through "Mickey" sunglasses.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I have to admit, I don't know what's along either route, or what other places along the way would be worthy of stops. We should drive the routes before we make up our minds, I think we're only looking at this through "Mickey" sunglasses.
    Just remember that there is such a thing as "too many stops." Whatever they have in those maps you posted seem fine to me.

I would prefer:
    1. Along North Route, head straight through resort, instead of turning south on Harbor on a track parallel and above the monorail;
    2. Go south on Disneyland Drive/West Street;
    3. Turn east on Katella, stopping at Convention Center;
    4. Turn southeast after Convention Center, and connect to South end of Central-Split route.
    5. Return to ARTIC, completing loop by going south around Angels Stadium.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."