Page 111 of 116 FirstFirst ... 116186101108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1740

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

I think the optimal solution would be to create a giant Traveler Processing Center right in the middle of the loop between Terminals 1 and 7/8. Close off the traffic loop. TSA clearance will be here. PeopleMover or automated trains will take travelers to their respective terminals. This might take the underground rerouting of the Crenshaw/Green Line to right under it. If we want travelers using it, we need it easy to haul the luggage.

Nearly impossible to construct without closing the airport for three years, though. Maybe someone can figure it out without closing. That will take some imagination.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Rock Star Minion

Hmm, looks like they're going with my recommendation.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Hmm, looks like they're going with my recommendation.
    You hold a lot of sway around here, Sed.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Wow, I think I have a bridge that I want to sell this guy.

Oh, and some news for Prius-owner-wanna-be's:
    Toyota cuts price of 2014 Prius plug-in to boost interest - latimes.com

If I drove a lot, say, if I were transiting people en masse to the Disneyland Resort (hey, it's on-topic!)I'd certainly want one of these plug-ins. I'd also like the whole outer portion of the car be solar cells as well, but baby steps.

ETA: Google has shown me some pictures. I'd want the engine hood to be solar panels as well.
    Oh, and when I'm not using the car and it's sitting out in the sun, it collects eletcricity for my house to use.
    I'm not asking too much, am I?
    Last edited by sediment; 10-18-2013 at 02:49 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You hold a lot of sway around here, Sed.
    Meh. I just think practically.
    Yes, it would be nice for Union Station, a train station, not to have train tracks visible in its background. Then again, it's a train station. Function over form, folks.
    Function. Over. Form.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Rock Star Minion

So, can they just halt the project??

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

How did the original streetcars manage to travel with underground utilities?

• Rock Star Minion

Maybe those underground utilities weren't there at that time?
    Or that shallow?

• Under that tree again!

Wow, I think I have a bridge that I want to sell this guy.

Oh, and some news for Prius-owner-wanna-be's:
    Toyota cuts price of 2014 Prius plug-in to boost interest - latimes.com

If I drove a lot, say, if I were transiting people en masse to the Disneyland Resort (hey, it's on-topic!)I'd certainly want one of these plug-ins. I'd also like the whole outer portion of the car be solar cells as well, but baby steps.

ETA: Google has shown me some pictures. I'd want the engine hood to be solar panels as well.
    Oh, and when I'm not using the car and it's sitting out in the sun, it collects eletcricity for my house to use.
    I'm not asking too much, am I?
    Solar panels are expensive, so a very pricey option. Plus being that it's not a lot of square feet it wouldn't come close to powering the car. Also solar panels on average take more than the lifetime of a car to pay for themselves.

While a nice idea, it's not that practical just ornamental and another status symbol.

Think of the solar car races, cars have the surface of a Suburban but only move one person and are as light as a Lotus. And tend to top out on a highway.

Meh. I just think practically.
    Yes, it would be nice for Union Station, a train station, not to have train tracks visible in its background. Then again, it's a train station. Function over form, folks.
    Function. Over. Form.
    Funtion over form. That is a money saving idea. Don't you wish these architect knew about that. Think about how much money goes into the stations.

Maybe those underground utilities weren't there at that time?
    Or that shallow?
    Phone poles, then they expanded to carry electricity. No cable tv. Pretty much only sewers under the ground. For warmth coal delivered to buildings. It was a lot simpler back then.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Funtion over form. That is a money saving idea. Don't you wish these architect knew about that. Think about how much money goes into the stations.
    That is more a response to those who wish to preserve the look of Union Station from the outside while clearly ignoring the fact that it is a train station.

I don't think I'll see HSR in CA in my lifetime, so the designs are moot to me. That won't stop someone from trying to build expensive tunnels on my dime, though, so that is where I'm drawing the line.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Solar panels are expensive, so a very pricey option. Plus being that it's not a lot of square feet it wouldn't come close to powering the car. Also solar panels on average take more than the lifetime of a car to pay for themselves.

While a nice idea, it's not that practical just ornamental and another status symbol.

Think of the solar car races, cars have the surface of a Suburban but only move one person and are as light as a Lotus. And tend to top out on a highway.

Phone poles, then they expanded to carry electricity. No cable tv. Pretty much only sewers under the ground. For warmth coal delivered to buildings. It was a lot simpler back then.
    Solar cells are getting cheaper and better very quickly and companies are already developing solar paints as well. Once these technologies become widespread the prices will drop even more rapidly. Solar cells currently only extract a small percent of the potential power. With some totally realistic potential improvements to the technology, a car covered in cells could generate its own power assuming it sits in the sun most of the time. It's quite likely that Sed's proposed car will be on the road in a matter of years. Batteries are actually finally improving as well, which is really the key. The solar cars in those races don't have batteries, so they can't sit and charge and then use the power during the race, but electric cars will.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney