Page 115 of 116 FirstFirst ... 156590105112113114115116 LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1740

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Google maps, if you don't zoom in too close:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=artic...15000&t=h&z=17
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

They could simply extend Metrolink to Bakersfield. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain through Tehachapi, but if there is interest, maybe two a day to start.

Just have to get through this thing:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Tehac...h&z=16&iwloc=A
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Google maps, if you don't zoom in too close:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=artic...15000&t=h&z=17
    Thanks. That is a good bit of progress. It's really moving forward.

It's interesting too that when you zoom in the Santa Anna is full of brown water. It shows a huge environmental problem. When it rains in LA and those channels flow it flushes over 20 million pounds of trash(mostly plastics) float out to sea. Greening those channels back into near natural rivers will catch that trash before it poisons the ocean.

They could simply extend Metrolink to Bakersfield. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain through Tehachapi, but if there is interest, maybe two a day to start.

True but honestly how many of those people commute or travel in a day to LA, or vice versa? I'm not sure it would even fill a train.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    ACE | Altamont Corridor Express - Home

As far as I'm concerned, ACE train expansion is all that I'm concerned about in Nor?Cal. AMTRAK already takes NorCal to the Grapevine, and buses us from there to LA. I would be fine with HSL not even being built anywhere in NorCal. The Bay Area and River City (Sac) can each get along just fine without it.

The State should just concentrate on having it meet up with NorCal AMTRAK trains and buses somewere in the vicinity of the Grapevine and LA, then build a line from LA to the ARCTIC station (with rapid transit DLR transportation taking trafic to anaheim and the park) and then fast tracking the construction of HSR to Las Vegas. Viva!

By skipping NorCal, the state would be in much better fiscal shape to build the bullet where it belongs, especially considering that SoCal area taxpayers are prepared to put their own money behind planning, construction and maintenance.

If they really wanted to do this.

SF to SAC.
    SD through LA, to San Fernando.

Start small at the ends and make them like rail more. Then connect them so they use it for long travel. Install the HSR parallel to existing tracks. Then upgrade the existing rail when the HSR goes long distance. Remove the local station so HSR only has a few stations. Or run long distance priority HSR and local HSR.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Rock Star Minion

I agree. No need to start in the middle of nowhere, which in effect forces the rest of the rail to be built even if no one wants to ride it (and yes, that will be the case).

Short trip to San Diego would be perfect for HSR. It takes too long by either car or AMTRAK.
    They still have to figure out the Bakersfield to LA portion anyway. There is no easy way that keeps the speed up.
    Well, except tunneling, which I recommend between the end of Laval Rd at the bottom of San Joaquin Valley to about 270th Street outside of Rosamond.
    It would be about a five mile tunnel. Very expensive.

Probably would need another tunnel from Palmdale to Sylmar. Much longer, much more expensive.

• Singing Drinker

I keep hearing that the Central CA construction is some sort of "requirement" in the federal ARRA funding, but the explanations for *WHY* always seem to turn circular and not related to anything tangible other than "ridership expectations". Which would seem to dictate that LA/SD route amongst others.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I keep hearing that the Central CA construction is some sort of "requirement" in the federal ARRA funding, but the explanations for *WHY* always seem to turn circular and not related to anything tangible other than "ridership expectations". Which would seem to dictate that LA/SD route amongst others.
    I see that too.

It seems like politicians are playing games to make their rural cities seem important to pander to their constituents. Rather than helping the state progress, just increase beaurocracy.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

They still have to figure out the Bakersfield to LA portion anyway. There is no easy way that keeps the speed up.
    Well, except tunneling, which I recommend between the end of Laval Rd at the bottom of San Joaquin Valley to about 270th Street outside of Rosamond.

Probably would need another tunnel from Palmdale to Sylmar. Much longer, much more expensive.
    I think to shorten the trip they should bypass Bakersfield. Just follow the 5 and use tunnels every now and then to keep the track strait and more level.

One way or the other they are spending a lot of money so tunnels should be just a drop in the bucket.

Soledad Canyon would need a lot of cuts of tunnels too. It should go that way Bakersfield should be one of those local stops. Not a must have that determines the route.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Rock Star Minion

Grapevine is pretty steep and curvy. And from there it's still curvy until Castaic.
    Curves will slow down the HSR. Else people will be flying around inside the cars.

My proposed route above cuts out a lot of elevation gain, another slower-downer of a train.

• Under that tree again!

Grapevine is pretty steep and curvy. And from there it's still curvy until Castaic.
    Curves will slow down the HSR. Else people will be flying around inside the cars.

My proposed route above cuts out a lot of elevation gain, another slower-downer of a train.
    I don't disagree. But shortening the length, could let the trains go slower and make it in the same time.

Also the US for some reason doesn't build tunnels, but in places with train travel they do. That's part of the reason train travel is better elsewhere, they cared and made it useful.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Too much resistance to NorCal HSR by farm interests, environmentalists, etc....even in the area between Bakersfield and the Grapevine. Also, this would absorb important funding that could be better used to build HSR in SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Thanks. That is a good bit of progress. It's really moving forward.

It's interesting too that when you zoom in the Santa Anna is full of brown water. It shows a huge environmental problem. When it rains in LA and those channels flow it flushes over 20 million pounds of trash(mostly plastics) float out to sea. Greening those channels back into near natural rivers will catch that trash before it poisons the ocean.

True but honestly how many of those people commute or travel in a day to LA, or vice versa? I'm not sure it would even fill a train.

If they really wanted to do this.

SF to SAC.
    SD through LA, to San Fernando.

Start small at the ends and make them like rail more. Then connect them so they use it for long travel. Install the HSR parallel to existing tracks. Then upgrade the existing rail when the HSR goes long distance. Remove the local station so HSR only has a few stations. Or run long distance priority HSR and local HSR.
    Hope they clear out all that Santa Ana brown water. I agree that the time to protect the ocean plants and animals is now.

I strongly favor an HSR route from LA to Anaheim to SD. Remain against anything in NorCal, especially a route from SF to Sac that would bring Bay Area spenders and Sac legislators together faster.

I agree. No need to start in the middle of nowhere, which in effect forces the rest of the rail to be built even if no one wants to ride it (and yes, that will be the case)..

Agreed, as all of NorCal is roughly speaking in the middle of nowhere.

Short trip to San Diego would be perfect for HSR. It takes too long by either car or AMTRAK.

Yep, Bring that train deep into the San Diego south,

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Important NorCal federal ploicy makers consider HSR a poorly funded proposition that would vacuum up federal dollars needed for more important projects. SoCal is the area to aim for if progress is to be made....especially since it looks like the Eastern reagion in the U.S. would win the "Rail Race" for funding, in terms of infrastructure, tracks, stations and trains. NorCal is dragging progress down here.

I see that too.

It seems like politicians are playing games to make their rural cities seem important to pander to their constituents. Rather than helping the state progress, just increase beaurocracy.
    You can say thatr again. Also, fair-minded elected officials are, in my opinion, being "derailed" with a bunch of ill-advised banter from NorCal HSR consultants and the like. The California High Speed Rail Authority is poorly performing in it's management of funding dollars,....plus it's biting off more than it can chew in it's unwaivering attempt to "propagate" HSR throughout the state. This is one reason HSR is yet to see private sector investment.

I don't disagree. But shortening the length, could let the trains go slower and make it in the same time.

Also the US for some reason doesn't build tunnels, but in places with train travel they do. That's part of the reason train travel is better elsewhere, they cared and made it useful.
    Wish the feds would build a tunnel through the Grapevine mountainous region.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-23-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Great conversation guys!!!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I enjoy it too, one of the most civil discussions on the board and likely more so than in Sacramento.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Iron-Clad Allie

I enjoy it too, one of the most civil discussions on the board and likely more so than in Sacramento.
    I'm very much enjoying the civil converstional discourse as well. Together, those of us on this thread are indeed more are more fair, open-minded and informed than the Sac legislative body, and would definitely get a lot more accomplished, if empowered to do so.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Thanks CA.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I am relocating back to Paris, France where French TGVs are now going down to Barcelona, Spain and into Germany.

I saw a promotion for Eurostar priced at 69€ to take the two hour trip from Paris to London - I cant wait to have the time to try it!