Page 18 of 116 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021284368 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Prices being equal, I'd prefer the fun of traveling by high speed rail and seeing the scenery whizz by. Especially if there were no delays in getting people on and off and the travel times were quick. Being over an hour early to your flight and getting through traffic to LAX is a downer, I'd rather be spending the time eating a sandwich and watching Southern California evolve into and become Northern.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Gasoline tax is essentially a per-mile fee, without making things complicated.
    I was thinking they could extend the weight fee to passenger cars. Way more of them on the road, and some of them are pretty heavy.
    I maintain that we the passenger car driving public do little wear and tear and the overloaded semis that take shipments from San Pedro and Long Beach to all points inland do most of the damage. But passenger cars pay for most of the upkeep and construction.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Prices being equal, I'd prefer the fun of traveling by high speed rail and seeing the scenery whizz by. Especially if there were no delays in getting people on and off and the travel times were quick. Being over an hour early to your flight and getting through traffic to LAX is a downer, I'd rather be spending the time eating a sandwich and watching Southern California evolve into and become Northern.
    I prefer the safety (on a per mile basis) of air travel, or the control I wield by driving.
    I prefer not to go at all. I've been there. I've lived there.
    Wake me when the Vegas train pulls in.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

I maintain that we the passenger car driving public do little wear and tear and the overloaded semis that take shipments from San Pedro and Long Beach to all points inland do most of the damage. But passenger cars pay for most of the upkeep and construction.
    Ah, economic externalities.

I agree. I'd rather have rail take these these loads out to Barstow or Palm Springs or Bakersfield. Trucks can take over from there. Not sure that's possible to design, though, unless some new port is built away from L.A.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Gasoline tax is essentially a per-mile fee, without making things complicated.
    I was thinking they could extend the weight fee to passenger cars. Way more of them on the road, and some of them are pretty heavy.
    Cranking gasoline and diesel fuel taxes up to ridiculous levels won't bring the State enough tax revenues to make a difference, but it will hurt the citizens.

And if they did, gasoline would be easy to smuggle in from another state at half the price. Just like Moonshine, you can build big gas tanks into a car and "take a weekend trip to Vegas" every week, and selling off the smuggled gasoline.

Even now when the tax differentials aren't that much, I'm still tempted to get a 390 gallon tank trailer for just such purposes - Buy low and bring it home. But when it's out in the open like that you have to follow all the Commercial Drivers License and Hazmat regulations...

Because the way the CA Budget is drowning in red ink, they're going to start searching for new revenue, and piling on fuel & transportation taxes is easy.

Ah, economic externalities.

I agree. I'd rather have rail take these these loads out to Barstow or Palm Springs or Bakersfield. Trucks can take over from there. Not sure that's possible to design, though, unless some new port is built away from L.A.
    Rail can take the looads all the way to Kansas Cuity or Chicago or even New York very simply - all the railroad companies have to do is invest several million into beefing up the rail system by double-tracking large swaths of the main cross-country rail lines, and triple-tracking on certain hills, and the work will pay for itself fast. The Feds can loan them part of it at market rates.

Then the freight trains have their own directional trackage each way, and they can move much faster, and the third track lets the passenger services go around on the long uphill sections. The Alameda Corridor project shows that it works, they just need to keep going.

Electrification of the rail lines can be done at the same time, or you tow a tank car behind the engine as a tender for Liquified Natural Gas. Diesel engines are very simple to convert to dual fuel.

Quite true - but you can't shift too much of that cost to the truckers, or they just raise their prices and pass the costs right back.
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Higher costs in trucking would make shipping by rail more attractive and be more equitable to car drivers.

The 2008 triple-tracking of Cajon Pass increased the capacity of the Los Angeles to Chicago route by 50%.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Mass transit to Disneyland via Metrolink/Amtrak and the ART shuttles just became even more inconvenient now that the schedules have been changed for the #15 route servicing Anaheim Metrolink/Amtrak station.

ART's schedules weren't that synced with Metrolink's or Amtrak's to being with but now it's even worse and whether you traveled from the north or south, the overlap between the schedules is so poor that one could wait for as long as 40 minutes for an ART shuttle.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thank you for posting.

I knew OCTA has been cutting back, but I didn't know about this.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Cranking gasoline and diesel fuel taxes up to ridiculous levels won't bring the State enough tax revenues to make a difference, but it will hurt the citizens.

And if they did, gasoline would be easy to smuggle in from another state at half the price. Just like Moonshine, you can build big gas tanks into a car and "take a weekend trip to Vegas" every week, and selling off the smuggled gasoline.

Even now when the tax differentials aren't that much, I'm still tempted to get a 390 gallon tank trailer for just such purposes - Buy low and bring it home. But when it's out in the open like that you have to follow all the Commercial Drivers License and Hazmat regulations...

Because the way the CA Budget is drowning in red ink, they're going to start searching for new revenue, and piling on fuel & transportation taxes is easy.
    Well, the alternative is bad roads, which people pay for in wheel alignments, accidents, strut replacements, etc.

Certainly, I enjoyed filling up at the Arizona border last time I drove in from there. Once. Four years ago.

Another alternative is to make all freeways unfree. As you've already written, collection and enforcement are difficult. Not sure where the border of enforcement would be. Maybe SCAG counties. Tourists driving in could get some weeklong pass or something.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    Mass transit to Disneyland via Metrolink/Amtrak and the ART shuttles just became even more inconvenient now that the schedules have been changed for the #15 route servicing Anaheim Metrolink/Amtrak station.

ART's schedules weren't that synced with Metrolink's or Amtrak's to being with but now it's even worse and whether you traveled from the north or south, the overlap between the schedules is so poor that one could wait for as long as 40 minutes for an ART shuttle.
    Thank you for posting.

I knew OCTA has been cutting back, but I didn't know about this.
    Peroblem is that Disney both benefits and is hurt by ART. Benefits by bringing paying guests and cast members, but is hurt by the drop in parking funds and the possible increase in non-paying guests. Not sure if it is in Disney's best interest to force better ART scheduling. Should be, as long as the guests are paying ones.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

More guests arriving on mass transit means less real estate dedicated to parking garages. I know they make their money back but it's an awful waste of acreage.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Final Plan for Expo Line from Culver City to Santa Monica Released

Final Plan for Expo Line from Culver City to Santa Monica Released - LAist

Which route do you like?
    http://www.buildexpo.org/phase2/Phas...utMap_FEIR.pdf

Plans 1, 2, 3 or 4? It looks like they prefer plan 2:

[URL="http://thesource.metro.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Expo-Phase-2-Preferred-Alternative-ROW_Colorado-Dec-09.jpg"]http://thesource.metro.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Expo-Phase-2-Preferred-Alternative-ROW_Colorado-Dec-09-590x320.jpg[/IMG]
    The proposed route for the second phase of the Expo Line from Culver City to Santa Monica. Click above for a larger image. The broken purple line indicates the preferred route alternative that the Expo Line is studying.

[URL="http://thesource.metro.net/2009/12/18/expo-line-releases-final-environmental-report-for-phase-2-from-culver-city-to-santa-monica/"]The Source Expo Line releases final environmental report for Phase 2 from Culver City to Santa Monica[/URL
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 12-22-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: hotlinked photo removed

• Rock Star Minion

More guests arriving on mass transit means less real estate dedicated to parking garages. I know they make their money back but it's an awful waste of acreage.
    Well, then it's not a waste. To them.

It's usually better to make money on such acreage than to, say, build something on a parking lot that does not earn a return on investment, and which requires a second helping of investment.
    Don't ya think, CaliforniaAdventurer?

• Rock Star Minion

50 minutes from downtown to Santa Monica??
    I guess that's fast for rush hour, but sheesh, it's 25 miles or so. All that at-grade stuff and probably five too many stops.

I really like the fact that I could go to USC games or Bruce concerts without having to pay for the overpriced parking. (From The Valley, of course, not from Santa Monica, though I could go somewhere on the Westside and park the car there.)
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 12-22-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: hotlinked photo removed