Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Last edited by NeverNeverland; 08-05-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: hotlinked photo removed

• Rock Star Minion

One major "problem" that SoCal has is that we've already built the freeways.
    The solution to that is build mass transit where the freeways already are. And I don't mean above or below them. I mean, rip out lanes and put in a BART-y system. Then, makes stops every five miles or so, with massive parking lots and buildings in walking distance. You know what would get people out of their cars? Seeing a train whizz by them. That works in NoCal, as the BART flows along the 24 to Walnut Creek. Putting them underground doesn't help. Outta sight, outta mind.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Isn't our Metrolink system a lot like BART?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Isn't our Metrolink system a lot like BART?
    No. Not at all. Not even close. Differences include:
    1. BART is electric. Metrolink is train engines, Diesel, I think.
    2. BART is on its own rails. Metrolink shares with freight and AMTRAK.
    3. The BART train I took for two years ran once every 6 minutes during rush hour. Not more than once every 20 minutes during dead hours -- late night or weekends.

BART is pretty wonderful. It's also almost 40 years old. That's not a knock, it's just that after 40 years the economic geography has changed the area to a more BART-specific landscape. We should not expect an immediate transition should we ever put down rails on our freeways.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

BART is pretty wonderful. It's also almost 40 years old. That's not a knock, it's just that after 40 years the economic geography has changed the area to a more BART-specific landscape. We should not expect an immediate transition should we ever put down rails on our freeways.
    Outside San Francisco itself, and throughout the Bay Area, even cities serviced by BART all have multiple freeways, on the scale we have in LA.

Secondly, people are usually less resistant to transit construction (or carpool lanes) if they are additional capacity, not in place of an existing traffic lane.

I have never seen a project in Southern California propose converting car lanes anywhere to mass transit, and come to fruition. Have you?

• Rock Star Minion

1. Outside San Francisco itself, and throughout the Bay Area, even cities serviced by BART all have multiple freeways, on the scale we have in LA.

2. Secondly, people are usually less resistant to transit construction (or carpool lanes) if they are additional capacity, not in place of an existing traffic lane.

3. I have never seen a project in Southern California propose converting car lanes anywhere to mass transit, and come to fruition. Have you?
    1. Well, maybe half-scale. My idea is not meant to completely replace freeways. Just maybe two lanes each way.
    2. This is where my great plan ends.
    3. No. Only in my head. But still:
    ...a) The right of way already exists. No eminent domain issues or complaining residents (NIMBYers).
    ...b) No digging. So, a lot cheaper.
    ...c) Takes people (almost) where they're already going. Think of a nice BART-style train from The Valley down The 5 to within walking distance to Disneyland.... Ahhh, doesn't that sound nice?
    ...d) Yes, there will be some backlash from drivers for about five years. Then, they'll forget it and take a train from The 5 in Santa Clarita down The 405, to The LAX (well, almost to LAX -- working on it). Heck, The 405 is already slow 20 hours a day. No one would even notice.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The vision for the 16-acre ARTIC transportation center includes a mix of uses. The center would act as a regional hub for rail, bus, taxi and trolley service.

Rendering courtesy of city of Anaheim.
    http://images.ocregister.com/newsima...4ghlrh1_lg.jpg
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 08-11-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: hotlinked picture removed

• Rock Star Minion

The upper right corner: "CA NV SST"?? That's some advanced planning, there.
    No notice of the "monorail to DLR," or anything like that?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

No. That's why Disney should approach them now, before the designs are completed.

• Rock Star Minion

Anaheim is already planning;

http://www.anaheim.net/images/articl...MasterPlan.pdf

Page 55 (according to printed page number), or page 69/122 acording to Adobe, starts the details of "Concept 1 ARTIC Anaheim Resort Connector"

To enhance this route: they should make it a loop with two rounded ends, with a thin barbell-look between the major stations.
    So, westbound from ARTIC, around south side of Anaheim Stadium (and, really, if it's elevated, there's no reason not to simply hug the stadium, for a cool view of a game in progress, perhaps), to Gene Autry Way, over The 5, to Citrus Drive, southwest around strawberry field, northwest to Convention Way, stay northwest to Katella, West on Katella, north on Disneyland Drive, stop at existing DTD monorail stop (same level, or up one level), follow monorail track through the "Esplanade," stop just east of park entrances, south down Harbor back to the westbound monorail track just mentioned, parallel those mover The 5, then go around the north side of Anaheim Stadium, eventually connecting to the westbound track.
    One loop. No switching back to front. No switching tracks.
    Last edited by sediment; 08-18-2009 at 04:08 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

http://www.anaheimfixedguideway.com/...ing-Boards.pdf

page 26: My original alignment (northwest along Metrolink tracks, then westward under power line right-of-way) is no longer being considered. I liked Alternative #6 on this same page: a loop that goes all the way to Orangewood Avenue. Doesn't get all the way into DLR, though. Seems someone (Disney) has issues with the encroachment of their parking revenue.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I took the light rail from Downtown Seattle to the airport yesterday. That was nice!

• Rock Star Minion

I took the light rail from Downtown Seattle to the airport yesterday. That was nice!
    All the way, or just to Tukwila/International Blvd?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I had to transfer to a bus for the last 1/4 mile but by December it should go right to the airport. I've also used the SkyTrain in Vancouver, which is quite nice.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

OCTA honored for intermodal center design - News - METRO Magazine

On Monday, the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) was presented with a 2009 Pacific Coast Builders Conference Gold Nugget award for architectural excellence for the Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC) plans.

Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast