Page 23 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526334873 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm attending a mass transit meeting today that is organized by a political consuktant friend of mine. I'll tell you what all took place sometime today or tomorrow.
    Anything in particular on the docket?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Imagination

$8 Billion in grants for high speed trains. California included. White House doles out $8 billion for fast trains - Yahoo! News
    Please wait while we imagineer a new signature!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    And the stupid thing is, there are many quieter tasks the crews can be doing overnight that wouldn't bother any but the closest neighbors.

If the backhoe has a decent muffler they can be digging trenches and laying conduits and pipes, laying out curbs and gutter forms, pouring and tooling the concrete, etc.

Just have to turn down/off the backup alarms on the cement trucks first, and they should assign a spotter to the backing trucks anyway. Darned backup alarms sound just like an alarm clock or a smoke detector to someone trying to sleep - you keep waking up halfway, dismissing the noise, then trying to get back to sleep again. And 10 minutes later...

Running the vibratory compactors and pavement profile grinders and the jackhammers, yes, that stuff happens outside the Quiet Time window from 11-PM to 6 or 7 AM.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D Duck View Post
    $8 Billion in grants for high speed trains. California included. White House doles out $8 billion for fast trains - Yahoo! News
    Thanks for the update ! ! !

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

California to get $2.25 billion for high-speed rail

I guess we are getting about 25% of that $8 billion in CALIFORNIA.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This is good news for Disneyland AND Walt Disney World:
    California is slated to get as much as $2.25 billion for its planned project to connect Los Angeles to San Francisco with trains as fast as 220 mph.

Florida will receive up to $1.25 billion to develop a new high-speed rail corridor between Tampa and Orlando, featuring trains as fast as 168 mph.

I haven't been on the boards for a while and sorry this is a bit off topic but it revolves around the ideas of public/mass transit.

I've been planning a trip to Seattle and Vancouver in the spring. If this is the destination we finally decide on going, I have an experiment.

My mission is to take only rail/air transportation all through the trip. The obvious and most saddening reality is that it will only start from LAX onward as there is no close rail transit from my neighborhood. Thus proving the somewhat lacking rail transit in LA.

I've done research and have been able to formulate a route that does not include any road transport.
    Plane from LAX to Seattle/Tacoma airport. Link Light Rail system from SeaTac Airport to Seattle - Within Seattle there is a street car system and a monorail. - Amtrak Cascades Line from Seattle to Vancouver - SkyTrain Light rail within Vancouver and to Vancouver Airport - Vancouver has a developing street car system. Plane from Vancouver Airport to LAX.

This trip isn't yet the final decision but if it is I'll have a lot of fun utilizing the growing transportation networks in the Pacific Northwest.

• Rock Star Minion

Before your trip, you should move closer to a SoCal rail line.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

sediment, you rascal, LOL. How about taking a FlyAway bus to the airport?

FutureImagineer, I flew up to Seattle, took the passenger-only ferry VICTORIA CLIPPER to Victoria Canada, and from there took a series of public transports to make a day trip over to Vancouver.

I went passenger only on BC Ferries over to the mainland, took a bus from the Ferry to the SkyTrain, the SkyTrain into Downtown Vancouver, walked around Stanley Park (horse drawn carriages and other transports abound), then took the SEA BUS over to North Vancouver. From there, my aunt drove us around North Vancouver and then back to the Ferrry Terminal, so we "cheated" a little. But we weren't "trying" to play get around without your car. It is just so easy to get around without your car. And I didn't have a car with me or any intention of renting one.

But on my way home, I went Victoria Clipper into Seattle, then the bus to the train to the airport. Pretty easy. And Downtown Seattle's buses are all electric (no stinky deisel engines) and free within the downtown "free bus zone".

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Rail line to Santa Monica wins approval

Los Angeles transportation officials on Thursday took a major step in bringing commuter rail to the Westside, approving a route linking downtown L.A. to Santa Monica.

Officials hope to begin work later this year on phase two of the Expo Line, a nearly seven-mile link from downtown Culver City to the corner of 4th and Colorado in Santa Monica’s main business district. Phase One of Expo Line is already under construction from downtown L.A. to Culver City.

Extending the line to Santa Monica would be an important milestone in L.A.’s ambitious rail-building campaign. It would also mark the farthest west a Metropolitan Transportation Authority line has reached, serving a section of the county notorious for traffic problems.
    article continues at:
    Rail line to Santa Monica wins approval | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Anything in particular on the docket?
    Yes, indeed! There is wonderful news... and some negative news. The good news is that the first phase of the state mass transit is definitely going to take place in the near future. The bad news is that the Bay Area is taking priority over the rest of California.

The first trains will be running along side BART a good deal of the time... and elsewhere in nearby cities. So in the beginning, the Bay Area will have both Bart and the light rail...while the rest of us pay for it.

The unofficial rationale is the state figures that there is more of a population base there. This means (to officials) a significantly shorter route system and far less costly monetary investment than building the rails anywhere between Sacramento and LA. We will all be later stages. But, at least we will soon be off to a start.

State Republican representatives are for the most part against anything having to do with Obama and stimulus money. They consider it a boondoggle. Their counterpart Democratic representatives are pretty much all behind it.

My local consultant friend is a well respected man among both Democrats and Republicans in my area. He is promoting the project for the state planners... and very much appreciates my helping him gain interest among local Republican government officials (me being an active Republican). I don't agree with 90% of the programs and ideas of our multi-trillion dollar spending addicted president. That's not to say I won't support him on an essentially beneficial idea that truely will surve the public good. Although, I would rather see the private sector finance and build lightrail statewide, we will never see the train system built in our lifetimes without public bonds, stimulus, etc.

However, I stand solidly against union workers buiding the system at exorbitant cost to the taxpayer. I say open the bidding process up to non-union private sector companies, and give the contracts to the lowest qualified bidders.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 02-08-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Forget a Train, Schwarzenegger Wants the 405 Fwy to be Double Deckered

http://laist.com/2010/02/18/forget_a...gger_wants.php

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Downtown Rail Connector Could go Underground

[
    After complaints and concerns about plans to run place above ground in downtown, the option to put the regional connector underground was approved for study by a Metro committee yesterday, reports blogdowntown. The connector is a critical missing link for public transit commuters and would combine the Blue and Gold lines and the Expo and Gold Line Extension lines. To stay within budget, however, the underground option may mean one less station.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 02-22-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Hotlinking... dude! You know better!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\

I can understand the impetus to put the connector line underground, the Gold and Expo and Blue line trains will run very frequently, have a lot of passengers, and it makes the most sense for opening up downtown to the various trains that get oh so close.

So if we don't want these light rail trains traveling on city streets at grade through downtown, why are we chasing funds for a streetcar to basically duplicate the route of the Red line and the Downtown connector?

I love rail transit projects but looking at the various routes proposed, it just seems like a duplication of service and I'm not sold on it's value.

More information including proposed route maps can be found at:

http://www.crala.net/internet-site/D...ty%20Study.pdf