Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 123456132853103 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Architecture review: Anaheim's rail hub | Culture Monster | Los Angeles Times

Artic1

Artic3

The first phase of the project — the station itself, covering 66,000 square feet — is essentially fully funded already, by a mixture of county tax money and state bond and transportation funds. But if the state’s high-speed line is delayed or killed, or if the mixed-use portion of the development is never built, the station could wind up rising grandly over a collection of parking garages or empty lots, alongside a mostly dry riverbed.

A central part of high-speed rail’s appeal, of course, is environmental. Going by train from Anaheim to San Francisco — a trip high-speed advocates say could take less than three hours — is far more efficient, as far as carbon footprints go, than traveling by Southwest or SUV. High-speed rail is a fundamental part of the growing effort, known as green urbanism, to make metropolitan areas more sustainable and less dependent on cars and suburban sprawl. In that sense, ARTIC, whatever the shortcomings of its striking but somewhat derivative architectural approach, is poised to take up a position as the most prominent piece of green architecture in Orange County and one of the most prominent in Southern California.

• Rock Star Minion

So..... it's excellent AND derivative?

say, are those two rails going left to right in the second link the High-Speed-Rails? Why are they not following the current Amtrak tracks from Union Station?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

those are the proposed California/Nevada Mag-Lev Trains. I've seen other pictures of the ARTIC plans and have seen the Mag-Lev aligned in many different ways. You are correct the California High-Speed Rail is going to follow the Amtrak and Metrolink track.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Welcome to this thread - Youre correct in your answer.

I've ventured into this thread and the first one before. I'm really interested in this stuff as well.

Do you know of any recent news on the Anaheim Fixed Guideway plans?

• Banned User

Blog Entries

I'm not too sure about that, what do you know?

I hope Disney will connect a monorail from the resort to ARTIC though, then I can leave the car behind when I go down there.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    So..... it's excellent AND derivative?
    LOL - critics can't just let it go at excellent.

You can check it out at
    Anaheim Fixed-Guideway Transit Corridor Study: City of Anaheim.

The plan is to build a connection between ARTIC, the Platinum Triangle, and the Resort area, whether it be by Monorail, Peoplemover, Mag-Lev, or another form of fixed transportation.

For better info, visit the site above. Click on Presentations & Reports. There you can find a lot of plans. The Transit Master Plan dates back to 2007 but provides good info. The August 2009 Community Presentation also has a lot of stuff.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    You can check it out at
    Anaheim Fixed-Guideway Transit Corridor Study: City of Anaheim.

The plan is to build a connection between ARTIC, the Platinum Triangle, and the Resort area, whether it be by Monorail, Peoplemover, Mag-Lev, or another form of fixed transportation.

For better info, visit the site above. Click on Presentations & Reports. There you can find a lot of plans. The Transit Master Plan dates back to 2007 but provides good info. The August 2009 Community Presentation also has a lot of stuff.
    I made some comments in Post #26. I don't think there is anything new, and the routes similar to my ideas have been rejected.

This one is huge:
    http://www.anaheim.net/images/articl...MasterPlan.pdf

Page 55 starts the ARTIC concepts. Page 57 has Concept 1: resort connectors, elevated alternatives.

My idea: Use the orange-colored route (Alt. #1), but instead of back-and-forth design, continue route to DTD monorail stop, then south on Disneyland Drive to Katella, East on Katella to the Yellow-colored route (Alt. #2), follow yellow route south to Anaheim Convention Center, back to the overpass of The 5, then at State College Drive, turn south around the Stadium to connect a complete circle with the station at Metrolink/ARTIC.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Can you photoshop your idea onto a map?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Can you photoshop your idea onto a map?
    No.
    I would if I could.

Just take Page 57 of that Master Plan, connect the orange alternative to the yellow alternative via current monorail route from Esplanade to DTD, down DL Drive and Katella to the Convention Center, and instead of returning to Metrolink straight east, dip around the south end of the stadium. to make a route that looks like an old-fashioned barbell from early cartoons.

is this a good estimation of your route?
    Bing Maps

• Rock Star Minion

Bing Maps
    Approximately perfect!
    I might pass closer to the Convention Center Arena. Hugging around either the south or north. But I quibble.

This route makes more sense for a peoplemover or monorail that travel well in a cicle (and would be cheap to build, except for the overpass), which I find are better modes than dedicated ground-level rights-of-way (buses) or like the LA Metro subway system, in which both ends have controls, and there are switches for two tracks that run parallel, so (in theory) no train hits the other, and that at one end of the line, the driver must switch ends.
    Last edited by sediment; 09-01-2009 at 02:56 PM.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Bing Maps
    You rock! I'd make it go a little closer to Mickey and Friends, but that's the sort of thing we need.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Can you use Google Maps instead, so that people outside your region can see your custom maps?

For some reason MicroSoft have decided that only people near you can see your efforts. 8P
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.