Page 31 of 116 FirstFirst ... 62128293031323334415681 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Many L.A. transit systems never got a move on

The funicular cars of Angels Flight are again rattling up and down Bunker Hill, but don't expect comebacks from the camel train, the Aerial Swallow monorail or other failed conveyances from the past.

The animals were enlisted to haul mail and baggage, and "any passenger foolhardy enough to mount one," from the harbor to the city, The Times later recalled.

Strong and durable as they were, the camels were not a success. They terrified horses and mules. Their lurching gait made some riders seasick. Handlers complained they were nasty and didn't understand English.
    Many L.A. transit systems never got a move on - latimes.com

You'll like this story, Sediment.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Many L.A. transit systems never got a move on

The funicular cars of Angels Flight are again rattling up and down Bunker Hill, but don't expect comebacks from the camel train, the Aerial Swallow monorail or other failed conveyances from the past.

Many L.A. transit systems never got a move on - latimes.com

You'll like this story, Sediment.
    I read that one. Very nice.
    I like how the SFV politicians blocked efforts for the rest of the city, because they weren't getting theirs. Smooth move.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I read that one. Very nice.
    I like how the SFV politicians blocked efforts for the rest of the city, because they weren't getting theirs. Smooth move.
    And they said nothing about Walt going to the L.A. City Council in the Early 60's and offering them the Disney/Alweg system tech and all the engineering help they need to build a full-scale transit monorail system, for free. But our esteemed (Spit!) City Fathers didn't want to build a "Kiddie Park Ride" transit system.

Once again, the L.A. City Council never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Bye Bye, the Monorail's leaving the station and You Aren't On It.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

OK Monorail and Nostalgia break is over. Let's focus on Los Angeles' projects planned under the 30/10 proposal and the developments surrounding ARTIC and the AFG in Anaheim.

I know that some years ago light rail was proposed for Orange County (CenterLine). but it was shot down. Do you think it would work in conjunction with LA Metro rail, Metrolink, Amtrak, and CAHSR?

I have been browsing the maps of the county finding old rail row's and devised a plan that for light rail throughout most of the area. I'm not sure how many people specific lines would serve but my idea covered most of the county and tried to use row's.

If anyone would like to see it, please ask. I call it The ROCC (pronounced rock), the Rapid Orange County Connection light rail system. It would be centered to connect to ARTIC, with additional access to Metrolink, John Wayne Airport, Long Beach Airport (I know out of county), and 4 termini with transfer to Metro Rail.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    I know that some years ago light rail was proposed for Orange County (CenterLine). but it was shot down. Do you think it would work in conjunction with LA Metro rail, Metrolink, Amtrak, and CAHSR?

I have been browsing the maps of the county finding old rail row's and devised a plan that for light rail throughout most of the area. I'm not sure how many people specific lines would serve but my idea covered most of the county and tried to use row's.

If anyone would like to see it, please ask. I call it The ROCC (pronounced rock), the Rapid Orange County Connection light rail system. It would be centered to connect to ARTIC, with additional access to Metrolink, John Wayne Airport, Long Beach Airport (I know out of county), and 4 termini with transfer to Metro Rail.
    I think it would be totally appropriate to post it here, so long as you make it clear it's just your idea and not something that's got funding !

• Rock Star Minion

I'd like to see it, too.
    You're connecting to Blue Line in LB as well, right? You're going to LB Airport, you might as well get connected to something that goes into LA that runs frequently and for 20 hours a day. 'cause the Metrolink is no good for that.
    Last edited by sediment; 05-26-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Or maybe LA could extend the blue line over to Long Beach Airport. Seems fair.

• Rock Star Minion

Or maybe LA could extend the blue line over to Long Beach Airport. Seems fair.
    How about some connection (in any form) along/under Spring or Willow to Long Beach Blvd?

TAN: I just followed a right of way from Willow/LB Blvd (Blue Line Station) southeastwardly down to the Long Beach Marina. Seems to be an old Pacific Red Car Line. Has a few houses (I think, from the Google overhead) built on it at one point.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'd love it if you showed me on a map.

• Rock Star Minion

I'd love it if you showed me on a map.
    Just google it.
    Here, I'll link LB Blvd and Willow for you.
    CSULB - Google Maps

Dashed lines are Blue Line. They come from Northwest of intersection, then follow LB Blvd south. If you follow instead southeast of the intersection, that empty strip will take you all the way to the marina.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Metrolink's New CEO Wants to Make Commuter Rail an Experience that will 'Wow' You

Metrolink's new CEO, John Fenton, is not a politician. He's a businessman to the core. And one with standards: efficiency, safety, the environment and serving people. Sure, he has vision for the commuter rail line, such as extending night service so people can use the train after Dodgers and Angels games, but he also has a firm grasp of the economic reality behind those fun ideas -- every government agency is clamping down on spending.

So what did the no-nonsense Fenton do within the first few days on the job? He instituted a simple policy that will save the agency an estimated $3 to $4 million a year. He noticed that engineers let trains run idle between routes, which to him was a big waste of money, and not to mention the pollution. So a new shut down policy was put in place and within two weeks, 93,000 gallons of gas were saved. "That's real money," he told a crowd at the Transit Coalition's monthly meeting on Tuesday night. "It's financially responsible and environmentally responsible."
    LAist: Los Angeles News, Food, Arts & Events

• Rock Star Minion

Hey, some of those were my ideas!! Where's my check?
    (Also, after King and Laker games, please).

I wonder how much they pay for fuel? I'm getting $7.2 million in annual savings for saving 93,000 gallons in two weeks, time $3 / gallon. Sure, they're purchasing large quantities in advance, and not using it (returning it or selling it back to the market) might have some costs. So, um, don't buy so much from now on. That's where you'll save.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Study to Bring Another Busway and Extended Rail Service to the Valley Approved

The L.A. City Council today approved a directive allowing city transportation staff to work with Metro on north-south transit corridors in the Eastern San Fernando Valley. The study, funded through Measure R and other outside sources, will begin the process towards scoping, budgeting and public outreach for improving bus speeds on key north-south corridors, a busway on Van Nuys Boulevard and extending rail service from the North Hollywood Red Line station to the Northeast Valley.
    Study to Bring Another Busway and Extended Rail Service to the Valley Approved - LAist

Another critical link, according to the him, is extending the rail system between the North Hollywood Red Line Station and Sylmar Metrolink Station, which could be home to high speed rail in the near future.
    Transit officials also hope to improve bus speeds along the Reseda, Sepulveda, Van Nuys and Lankershim/San Fernando arteries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Najarian fights 710 idea

He will try in his MTA board role to help stop tunnel from moving forward.

The decades-long controversy surrounding the proposed "gap closure" of the Foothill (210) and Long Beach (710) freeways was reinvigorated last year when the California Department of Transportation and Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority released draft results of a $6-million route feasibility study.

The report showed tunneling was feasible within five potential zones — including connections to the 210 and Glendale (2) freeways — but it did not address any environmental concerns, such as traffic and pollution.
    "I'm confident that when we look at all this additional information, even the most biased person in favor of the tunnel will see, 'Hey, we can solve these traffic issues at less cost much quicker with less environmental impact than a tunnel,'" Najarian said.

It's the latest chapter in an ongoing fight between the San Gabriel Valley communities, which have long pleaded for relief from traffic congestion, and several foothill communities that say the connector will add more polluting big rigs to local freeways.

The Glendale City Council last year voted to officially oppose the tunnel. La Cañada Flintridge and South Pasadena have already committed significant resources to the fight, filing a unsuccessful legal challenge against the use of $780 million in earmarked Measure R funds for tunnel studies or construction.
    Najarian fights 710 idea - Glendale News Press