Page 33 of 116 FirstFirst ... 82330313233343536435883 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    How about extending the Green Line to Long Beach Airport. Wouldn't that be ironic, it never goes to LAX but you can go to Long Beach Airport.
    Not very feasible. I mean, if the government was allowe to simply eminent-domain-to-the-max anytime it wanted, then these things would already be done.
    As it stands, people along the proposed Green Line extension are already complaining. To that I reply, of course you're complaining. And too bad. You live next to a rail right of way. Greater good > your puny little life.

(That's why I'm not in politics.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I still think catapults are the best option.....just turn the rooftop of Buzz into a giant pillow-top mattress and fire away
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Just an observation: of all of the public transport threads on all of the forums I frequent, this is the only one where a monorail proposal is taken at all seriously. Something to think on there.

Everywhere else it only takes a few posts of howling laughter to get to a Simpson's reference. (Kind of a sub clause of Godwin's Law I guess)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    I still think catapults are the best option.....just turn the rooftop of Buzz into a giant pillow-top mattress and fire away
    Dude we don't even shoot down sleepyjeff's catapult proposals. We like it when regulars to this thread post feedback

• Rock Star Minion

Well, we did ignore it, so he'll try harder next time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So you predict he'll catapult himself in to the coversation yet?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Feds Announce Support for Subway to the Sea & 30/10 Project

Feds Announce Support for Subway to the Sea & 30/10 Project - LAist

The chances of a stronger public transit system in Los Angeles took a big step today when U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced federal support for plans to bring a subway down Wilshire Boulevard and of the region's 30/10 plan, which would build 12 transit projects in 10 years.

“Secretary LaHood understands the opportunity to make the 30/10 vision a reality here and around the country," said Senator Barbara Boxer, who heads up the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. "The Secretary is also working with me on finding every opportunity under current law so we can accelerate 30/10 now."

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's 30/10 program would take 30 years-worth of Measure R sales tax funding and build 12 transit projects in 10 years -- that's instead of the 30 years under the current plan -- with the help of a loan from the federal government that would be paid back by Metro.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Valley May Only Get One High Speed Rail Station -- In Burbank

Earlier plans for the California's High Speed Rail called for two stations in the San Fernando Valley -- one in Sylmar and another in Glendale or Burbank. At first, HSR planners were looking at station locations in downtown Burbank, but city officials there balked, wanting consideration of a station at Burbank Airport. Now it appears planners are all about that airport station as the only station in the Valley, reported the Burbank Leader last week. The news left HSR blogger Robert Cruickshank with many questions, including this one: "Is Burbank Airport equipped to handle the ridership that HSR might bring?" He also noted that the Valley, "with a population of 1.76 million, would seem capable of supporting two stations."

High-speed rail representatives are strongly considering a stop near Bob Hope Airport as the sole San Fernando Valley station for the planned 800-mile system, local officials said.

Rail representatives early this year expressed a preference for station options in Burbank along the San Fernando Road corridor, either in the city's downtown area or near Glendale, on Alameda Avenue. But after hearing public concerns about connectivity to the airport, the authority is instead considering a stop near Bob Hope, at Hollywood Way, said David Kriske, Burbank's principal transportation planner.

"We're still kind of evaluating what that means for us," Kriske said.

Authority representatives have also reacted to local concerns about station locations with a plan to choose one stop in the San Fernando Valley, rather than two, as was previously discussed, said Jano Baghdanian, Glendale's traffic and transportation administrator.

Representatives have indicated that they would choose a stop between sites either in San Fernando or Slymar, or in Burbank, rather than placing two stops in the valley, officials said.

The rail system, capable of shuttling passengers from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 2 hours and 38 minutes, is planned to be completed by 2020, with as many as 10 trains per hour moving through the urban area at speeds as high as 150 mph.

Authority engineers have considered 14 station options in the San Fernando Valley so far and have continued to adjust their analysis report based on feedback from cities, residents and other stakeholders along the route, said Sara Costin, director of Consensus Inc., which is conducting community public outreach for the authority.

"All of those things go into determining where it may be best to put a station," Costin said. "So we're working with the local corridor cities to figure out where a station would be best to be located in the San Fernando Valley."

Rail representatives expected to deliver a report on the local route to the authority early this year and again this month, but have delayed the presentation until July, at the earliest, Costin said.
    article continues at:
    Rail officials eye airport - Burbank Leader

A station at Bob Hope is ridiculous. Metrolink already serves the airport, and it has no capacity to expand in order to handle the additional passengers C.H.S.R. might bring.

Connecting Palmdale, Ontario, and San Bernardino International Airports should be sufficient. Achieving the goal of regionalizing air-travel demand also needs to be of primary consideration. Moreover, transit-oriented development opportunities would be severely limited at Bob Hope.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    A station at Bob Hope is ridiculous. Metrolink already serves the airport, and it has no capacity to expand in order to handle the additional passengers C.H.S.R. might bring.

Connecting Palmdale, Ontario, and San Bernardino International Airports should be sufficient. Achieving the goal of regionalizing air-travel demand also needs to be of primary consideration. Moreover, transit-oriented development opportunities would be severely limited at Bob Hope.
    A station NEAR Bob Hope (Hollywood-Burbank) Airport (BUR) over on the Mainline corridor next to the I-5 would work much better, because there's enough space for the station and the parking, and local light-rail connections (the old Red Car ROW's all come to and/or cross the main rail lines there) and could easily be developed into a regional transit hub.

The Metrolink line serving Bob Hope is a spur line off the main rail line that heads off towards Simi Valley, Moorpark, Camarillo, Oxnard, Ventura, Carpinteria, and up the coast.

The HSR train could go to Bob Hope Apt. directly, but would have to make a backing move to the mainline to proceed north/south again. Or they'd have to condemn a lot of property and add a new rail line to make a triangle spur of it - and that is going to meet with a LOT of local resistance.

If they really want people to get to Bob Hope Apt. by rail, they could easily electrify that spur line that Metrolink uses and use a Light Rail trolley to shuttle people there, they have no problems with the motorman walking to the other end of the train and going in reverse.

Anyway, I thought the idea of the HSR was so people wouldn't have to fly to get to the other end of the state, or take a regional air route (very expensive!) to an International airport to catch a connection - not to get them to a regional airport to catch an expensive puddle-jumper...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

At the corner of Hollywood Way and San Fernando, where the existing rail line parallels the 5 Freeway is being considered for the stop.

They plan to rebuild the terminals to the northeast side of the runways, closer to this corner of the airport. So they won't be veering the line away from the Metrolink tracks: But the ones coming from Simi Valley won't have an opportunity to transfer to HSR until they reach Glendale or Union Station.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 06-08-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Directions

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    At the corner of Hollywood Way and San Fernando, where the existing rail line parallels the 5 Freeway is being considered for the stop.

They plan to rebuild the terminals to the northwest side of the runways, closer to this corner of the airport. So they won't be veering the line away from the Metrolink tracks: But the ones coming from Simi Valley won't have an opportunity to transfer to HSR until they reach Glendale or Union Station.
    I thought it was the Northeast quadrant of the runways, where Lockheed (?) used to be.
    Lots of business in that area, not a lot of residential, so a south-then-east-back-to-mainline should not be difficult. People can and will complain at every opportunity, though.

Earlier in this thread, I suggested that the HSR could turn south before Hollywood Way, say at Lockheed or along Kenwood, travel UNDER the new terminal and UNDER the east-west runways, UNDER the current terminal, then meet up with the Amtrak/Metrolink tracks on the south side of the airport, turn east and follow those tracks downtown.
    In that way HSR would be assisting central valley folk going to, say, Arizona or Vegas on "puddle-jumpers" out of Burbank.
    HSR from Downtown to Vegas could stop at Ontario. HSR from Downtown to Jacksonville following The 10....
    Last edited by sediment; 06-08-2010 at 10:50 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Sorry I meant NE. I like your idea because they could combine the station with Metrolink's two lines right there at the airport.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Well, we did ignore it, so he'll try harder next time.
    I don't know, I was at the top of my game there.......why is it every time I step outside the box I hear someone on a blow horn directing me to "step back inside the box"

Ok, if catapults are out, how about something like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unuXl2gtbzs&feature=related]YouTube - Solar panel driven travelling[/ame]

1 part PeopleMover, 1 part Monorail, and 1 part automobile......you can go from your garage to the Disneyland Resort without having to wait for a bus or train or anything
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Rock Star Minion

I'll try to check that out when I get home, jeffysleep.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The forgotten child of Metro Projects advances
    Metro has finished and released their environmental impact report for the Wilshire bus lane, which would provide an exclusive lane for the 20s, 720s, and 920s for about 10 miles of Wilshire during rush-hour, reports The Source. Nope, the exclusive lane wouldn't extend to Santa Monica nor would it exist through Beverly Hills and its numerous traffic lights. Apparently, there wasn't time to consult with Beverly Hills before applying for federal money--a lane could be added in the future though (it's not clear why Santa Monica isn't part of the scenario).
    The good news and the bad news.>>>