Page 34 of 116 FirstFirst ... 92431323334353637445984 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Desert Xpress news

More Insistence that Vegas/Victorville Train is Happening

The San Bernardino Sun reports on a teleconference from last week where the backers of the Desert Xpress train again insisted they will break ground on the Victorville to Vegas train next year since their environmental and financial plans are just about done. Xpress president Tom Stone said he expected to make an announcement in about a month regarding a mystery investor of the $5 billion project--the project is supposed to be built exclusively with private funds, and possibly a federal loan. We previously heard this thing was supposed to break ground in March.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    They like to think they are... Remember that old McGuffin about "Growing up on the wrong side of the tracks?" Looks like they don't want the tracks cutting that close to the school campus, they might have to remove some old Industrial Shops buildings to widen the Right Of Way another twenty feet...

Problem is, Everybody doesn't want the trains going right behind their house - they all want them a mile or two away so they don't have to hear them go by at all hours, but just close enough so they can conveniently use them. And the ones who are too close scream, then they go with the alternate route and those people scream...

Can't make everybody happy, so it goes down to who has the money to make them move away, and those without the money have to put up with them - and the people on the "wrong side of the tracks" get dumped on yet again.

Safety is a non-issue, they have to make the HSR grade separated with tunnels or bridges or underpasses, they're moving way too fast to react to a fouled crossing. And they can easily make the same underpasses and overpasses wide enough for the local and freight lines while they're at it. So the local parents can't use the "The train is Unsafe for the School Kids going that close to the school!" argument, which is bull anyway.

Kids will be kids and will find their ways onto the train tracks no matter WHAT you do or how high the fences are. They get the idea in their heads, then Darwin's Law takes over. If people don't have the sense to stay out of the Restricted Access Rail ROW and off the train tracks as a 150-MPH train is approaching, they really need to remove themselves from the Gene Pool before they pollute it with more offspring...

The ones I really feel sorry for are the Train Engineers - It's not like they can change lanes and dodge the obstruction, the only thing they can do is hit the horn, throw the brakes into Emergency, and pray real loud.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Rock Star Minion

Desert Xpress news
    Looking good. Now, they STILL have to work on connecting it to this side of the hill. Or Palmdale. That'd be nice.
    The traffic jam to Victorville and a giant parking lot there won't be that much improvement.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Safety is a non-issue, they have to make the HSR grade separated with tunnels or bridges or underpasses, they're moving way too fast to react to a fouled crossing. And they can easily make the same underpasses and overpasses wide enough for the local and freight lines while they're at it. So the local parents can't use the "The train is Unsafe for the School Kids going that close to the school!" argument, which is bull anyway.
    Agreed. Only way it could work at-grade is to slow the train down.

IMO, one less stop, and ten minutes quicker to SF/SAC.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I love reading your comments, wholeheartedly agree.

PS. Not even one post about the forgotten stepchild, the busway on Wilshire?

• Banned User

I'm not too keen on this monorail they plan to build between ARTIC and the resort area. It seems like a sleek, sexy project designed to empower politicians and consultants and construction companies rather than provide any public benefit. I love trains, but this alignment is just messed up and, with no cooperation from Disney, can't really make a dent on the transit front in Anaheim.

I made a map pointing out flaws in the alignment and I also have an alternative idea, to use rapid buses to not only shuttle guests between the resort area and ARTIC, but to provide a public good to the transit-riding public in Anaheim and North Orange County.

The red line is the monorail route and the blue line is a bus rapid transit route, which is basically the OCTA's Bravo! service plan that was canceled last year. This is also a good project even if the monorail is never built. However, any rail built in Orange County should be light rail so that it can someday connect with what is probably going to be light rail on the former Santa Ana Pacific Electric line. Unfortunately, Orange County would never go for taking lanes away from cars and giving them to buses, much less trains.

As far as Bakersfield goes, well, smaller cities usually put a lot of stake into their schools, but they are ultimately misinformed and are spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt in the process. They go on and on about, "I support HSR, but not near the school." So where should it go? Should we put the stations in the middle of nowhere so they fail to attract riders?

A rational discussion on HSR in California could not come soon enough, unfortunately officials seem to kowtow to local opposition as if it's the most important factor in the world.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I love reading your comments, wholeheartedly agree.

PS. Not even one post about the forgotten stepchild, the busway on Wilshire?
    Am I supposed to say You're Welcome, or is C.A.?

Oh, that PS is a loser from the word Go - If they start and stop the Bus Only Lanes at the Beverly Hills city limits (because they can't widen the street and don't want to lose their nice manicured median strips) the traffic might be better through the City of Los Angeles sections, only to go totally to heck at the Beverly Hills choke points.

(They already drop a 40 MPH Wilshire Blvd to 25 MPH at the B.H. City Limits now - not because it's unsafe, they want the speeding ticket revenues. Show me the traffic safety surveys that show it needs to be set that low - they can't. But I don't have the money or time to fight them and get the speed limit raised to reality.)

The only way a Dedicated Bus Lane could work is as a raised Viaduct busway above the street through Beverly Hills - Radically expensive, and it'll turn the streets under the busway into Chicago under the Ell. Look at the section of the Harbor Freeway south of USC.

Oh, and your Bus Lanes are at-grade most of the way and will STILL affected by street traffic - if the crossing intersections are gridlocked, the Bus lanes are blocked too. And then the Car-Poolers and Prius Hybrid Drivers and Motorcycles are all going to insist on getting access to the Bus Lanes, and there goes the time savings...

If you go that far you might as well build a dual beamway Monorail express line down Wilshire all the way from Union Station to the Santa Monica Pier. Fewer and smaller pylons, and two slim concrete beams that still let some sunshine through. The only bad spots would be under the stations.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I wonder if sediment will like that idea.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Did I read that right? How'd we get a visit from someone with 2 other posts who got banned before we could respond?

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    They like to think they are...
    Bakersfield High School is the oldest HS in Bako. The idea of tearing down some school buildings for HSR stirred up Driller pride and they showed up in force to the city council meeting. Council members had to save face and voted against the route proposal before the meeting even started. (The city council does not have any real say in the route selected, though.)

They're not against HSR. They just don't want the route to go directly through a what many consider a historic high school campus. However, as Bruce stated, there's no way to select a route convenient for access, but without disturbing businesses or homes already there (especially if they want a downtown station).
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Did I read that right? How'd we get a visit from someone with 2 other posts who got banned before we could respond?
    He was holding up a balloon while using the Micechat Search feature.....a big no, no right now.......
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    He was holding up a balloon while using the Micechat Search feature.....a big no, no right now.......
    **inserts toothpick in straw**
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thanks for your insights.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'm excited to no end about the plans for a monorail connected to the ARTIC station. Run it line through Beverly Hills as well. If a speedy bus line can be worked out for Beverly Hills, that would help expedite traffic. If not, I prefer the monorail anyway.

Send all the MC banned people away by bus.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!