Page 36 of 116 FirstFirst ... 112633343536373839466186 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

8 Ways Public Comment Has Changed the Planning of the Westside Subway Extension - LAist

8 Ways Public Comment Has Changed the Planning of the Westside Subway Extension

Although much of the public scoping is nearing the end -- Metro staff will soon be making recommendations -- it's a good time to look back and see how the public influenced the process. Some of the public's ideas are likely to become a reality while others, although thoroughly vetted, won't make the cut.

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    whoops, I guess I never got around to posting my proposed Orange County light rail system. I call it The ROCC or Rapid Orange County Connection.

Following are two maps. They make reference to some LA Metro Rail lines that don't exist but I have thought of. Also, I have not thought of specific stations. The plan is largely centered around the future ARTIC.

Here's is a geographically accurate map on Scribble Maps: (if you zoom in some lines may not be lined up exactly to where I would have it travel but from the view I linked, it is pretty clear.)
    LINK

Here's a system map I drew that is not geographically accurate but shows the cities served:

Also keep in mind that I do not live in orange county and do not have any data on pop. density/income so I don't know how high ridership would be for these lines. I just tried to create a plan that would evenly cover the county and provide appropriate connections to Metrolink/Amtrak/CAHSR/LA Metro Rail/airports.
    Most of Orange County is already built-up to a point of not-gonna-get-anything-done-ness.
    I'd like to see transit from ARTIC to Long Beach Blue Line.
    I think the lines need to be built more on the "If you build it, they will ride" concept. So, to airports, to major work areas, and from empty malls with lots of parking spaces. Then, the new geography will influence economic development.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    8 Ways Public Comment Has Changed the Planning of the Westside Subway Extension - LAist

8 Ways Public Comment Has Changed the Planning of the Westside Subway Extension
    Just like New York City, they have to start looking at this system as expanding into a Grid. For example, they are looking at East-West alignments in all these decisions, but there isn't any thought going into the North-South flows.

Eventually they need to punch another line north under the hills and into the Valley, either under the 405 with a stop (and a Reeeeeeeally Deep Elevator Shaft) at Mulholland Drive, or when they get to Santa Monica make a right turn, forge under Pacific Pallisades and pop out in roughly Encino or Tarzana. Eventually taking it all the way north into Mission Hills.

Then you start on an East-West line under Ventura Boulevard, with a left turn to Warner Center at one and, and a right to Universal City to meet up with the Red Line at the other - that entire swath has got enough High-rise office density to make a Subway work.

And the Orange Line needs to go back to light rail again, or perhaps...

(wait for it...)

... perhaps a Monorail line.

Might be nice to get the Valley more useful transit options BEFORE we hit the gridlock status that the Westside has. I have to drive over there three or four times a month for work, and I dread it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Are you taking into consideration how wide the Santa Monica Mountains are at Malibu vs. 405 vs. Cahuenga Pass?

Map of Los Angeles, California by MapQuest

I don't think a Mulholland Drive stop would get any passengers.

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    And the Orange Line needs to go back to light rail again, or perhaps...

(wait for it...)

... perhaps a Monorail line.
    I think that putting in the light rail now would cause the Orange Line to be halted for some number of years. monorail, though, could be put in above without much halting at all.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Are you taking into consideration how wide the Santa Monica Mountains are at Malibu vs. 405 vs. Cahuenga Pass?

Map of Los Angeles, California by MapQuest

I don't think a Mulholland Drive stop would get any passengers.
    Not a huge number, but there is the University of Judaism and a few other schools and facilities there that are a destination. And it gets them a ventilation and emergency exit shaft for the tunnel.

If you put in some commuter parking for all the folks that live in Bel Air and in the Hills, or a small "DASH" style bus that runs along Mulholland Drive to collect them, it would keep the traffic off Sepulveda and the 405.

Remember, Frequency Redundancy and Flexibility are the keys to a well planned transit system. If it's too big a hassle people will choose to drive everywhere (sometimes at great sacrifice) and only take public transportation if they absolutely must.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'd rather the train were elevated through the pass and a station was adjacent to Getty Center

• UnExiled Minion

How about: world's second longest escalator, from Ventura Blvd to Mulholland; and world's longest escalator, from Mulholland to Wilshire?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Sounds good but can you make it a monorail?

A Monorail that stops at Getty Center and at Mulholland works too. But either wasy, they have to plaan ahead and protect a Right Of Way.

Why do I say this? We had Subway tunnels in Downtown LA where the streetcars ducked underground, with abandoned underground stations still in place...

And they could have been modernized and reused really cheap - except they let all the new high-rises sink their foundation caissons right through the middle of the tunnels, figuring they were abandoned forever.

Self fulfilling prophecy - they can't reuse them now, can they? Not without spending a LOT of money to header them off and dig two new footers off to each side.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Do you know for a fact though that a 100 year old 'subway' tunnel built for Red Cars coupled together would have been viable for a heavy rail subway car?

Do you know for a fact though that a 100 year old 'subway' tunnel built for Red Cars coupled together would have been viable for a heavy rail subway car?
    Well, I've done a fair amount of research on the subject. Once Upon A Time those tracks were suitable for train cars with cargo and heavy rail trolley cars - everything back then was 'heavy rail', those cars weren't lightweights. Lots of cast iron and heavy steel.

And even if the rails were marginal by today's standards, they would have to be replaced before putting the tracks back in service.

The Red Cars were designed to interchange and run on the Heavy Rail lines in the area, as long as they had a power caternary. If they didn't have power they could be hitched up in a regular train behind a Steam or Diesel locomotive and towed on a non-electrified rail line.

And conversely the Red Car lines were used for local freight deliveries with electric locomotives, often at night. The local freight train would drop one or two boxcars or flatcars on an electrified interchange siding. Then an electric locomotive would hitch up, run them through town to the industrial user and drop the cars at their siding.

So by deduction the downtown LA subway tunnels should have been sized large enough to run standard rail cars through them - the only question would be whether the rails themselves were heavy enough to handle the load. If they used really light 30-pound rail it wouldn't be, but 90-pound or better would be fine.

The tracks are easy enough to upgrade if and when they modernize the tunnels to be reopened, they would replace all the ties with concrete and replace all the switch points and the power caternary wire and its supports, or Third Rail...

But reopening a tunnel gets real hard when there are a bunch of precast concrete piles for the old ARCO Tower building driven right down the middle. The pilings can be "moved out of the way" with a load beam and two new footings on each side, or the tunnel widened and re-routed off to one side to go around the pilings. But either way it's a huge underground construction project.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I always wondered if that was wishful thinking or FACT. I had read it was the "Bonaventure" Hotel that built its foundation into the tunnel. Thank you, Bruce.

Now, how does this square up on another level? Politics? Because transportation construction seems to be about pouring concrete. Do politicians want to fight to re-establish an old tunnel, and trust it won't collapse and then they look responsible? Do they want to get their backs scratched by concrete companies or do they want to do historic preservation? Do the seismic retrofits and red tape associated with opening the old tunnel pencil out vs. what it costs to dig and pour a new tunnel?

In other words, aren't you swimming against the current, if you advocate this?

When does it stop being practical, and become "Oh well, typical LA blunder, forget about it"?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Southland firms get Gold Line Extension contract

Southland firms get Gold Line Extension contract - Pasadena Star-News

Foothill Extension officials think that after a lengthy evaluation process, they've found the right team for a key part of the planned two-year project, which breaks ground next week.
    "This is the start of everything we are going to be doing, and it will set the tone for our work throughout," said Habib Balian, CEO of the Extension Authority.

The Construction Authority budgeted $24 million for the project, and the Skanska/AECOM bid came in at $18.5 million.

"It was definitely cost," said Sam Pedroza, a Claremont city councilman and member of the Authority's board of directors. "It was well below the budget amount, and it was just about knowing that they are going to show a very close relationship with our staff."

Officials were awaiting word late Friday from Metro to approve the contract.
    Those officials are now looking to the groundbreaking of the extension June 26.

The entire extension is scheduled to be completed in 2014.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Deputy Mayor Jaime De La Vega, who oversees transportation issues, said a number of projects are in the works for the Valley to complement the Red Line and Orange Line.

"The mayor and the City Council, along with the MTA board, have authorized environmental study on an Orange Line-like busway on Van Nuys Boulevard to provide a north-south artery," De La Vega said.
    The $2.5 billion project has money earmarked from Measure R and would be completed in 2040.

Measure R also set aside $1billion for initial studies of improvements through the Sepulveda Pass to the Westside along the 405 Freeway corridor. However, no decision has been made on what exactly will be involved.

"The project would provide a rapid transit option to improve traffic flow between the Westside and the San Fernando Valley," Metro spokesman Dave Sotero said, adding a link is planned with the "Subway to the Sea" program that would extend the subway through the Westside to the Pacific Ocean.

"We haven't begun to study what transit service would best meet the requirements, but the idea is to provide some kind of transit service to connect the Orange Line Sepulveda station with the planned Westside subway extension project in Westwood."

De La Vega said all options are being considered, from using the car-pool lanes on the freeway to a subway to hook up to the Subway to the Sea in West Los Angeles.
    Sotero said officials are analyzing various locations in Westwood for a station. The goal is to bring in workers from the Valley to the Westside, but also students to UCLA.
    The push is on to improve existing lines, add new ones. - LA Daily News