Page 40 of 116 FirstFirst ... 153037383940414243506590 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    TaxiWiz Los Angeles (link) says it would be about $160 (after 15% tip) for me to catch a cab from Disneyland to the Woodland Hills area. Just a hop from Disneyland to LA Union Station (to catch a later night Subway or light rail to continue your trip) is about $80.
    My manifesto (Post #5) has a possible late-night route to Woodland Hills:
    1. OC50 westbound.
    2. LBT91, 92, 93, or 94 westbound.
    3. Blue Line northbound.
    4. Red Line West- and Northwest-bound.
    5. Orange Line Westbound.

Quick check of coordinating to last Orange Line Train: You need to be at Katella and Harbor by 9:36PM, get to Woodland Hills at 1:31AM.
    Cheers!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

4 hours??? How about 20 min from ARTIC to Union Station 24 min to North Hollywood plus a hop accross the Valley on the busway. Now that's sounding more realistic.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What about Metrolink from Anaheim to Chatsworth?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Stories have popped up recently regarding the 20th anniversary of the Blue Line, but today is the official b-day for the LA to Long Beach line. As the Militant Angeleno shows via their shaky-at-parts video, the line kicked off at the Pico station (which looked a lot more desolate without the Staples Center and expanded convention center). The line would later extend underground and north to 7th Street and south to downtown Long Beach. At the ceremony, former LA County Supervisor Ed Edelman described the Blue Line as the beginning of the city's new rail network, which would one day stretch to Pasadena (check), the San Fernando Valley (check), LAX (close but no cigar), and count 150 miles of track (at 79 currently). Fun fact: fares were only 40 cents less than what they are today. If you can stand to sit through the 10 minute long video, you'll be rewarded with closing music provided by the legendary Wilson Phillips.
    Blue Line, City's First Modern Rail Line Turns 20 Today : LA History 101 : Curbed LA

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    My manifesto (Post #5) has a possible late-night route to Woodland Hills:
    1. OC50 westbound.
    2. LBT91, 92, 93, or 94 westbound.
    3. Blue Line northbound.
    4. Red Line West- and Northwest-bound.
    5. Orange Line Westbound.

Quick check of coordinating to last Orange Line Train: You need to be at Katella and Harbor by 9:36PM, get to Woodland Hills at 1:31AM.
    Cheers!!
    Yes, but the timing still fails the same miserable way it did back in post #5 - the Disneyland Fireworks START at 9:23 to 9:25 PM and aren't over till about 9:45 PM. And it's been that way for 20+ years now.

I wouldn't count on getting down Main Street as the fireworks finish, out the gates, and out to Harbor and Katella before 10:15 - 10:30, and that's for someone with legs of steel that can do a serious Speedwalk after already doing the whole day at Disneyland.

Or I can stay till Midnight, then take the "Saturn SL2 Express" from Sticky & Friends (hitting the road about 12:30) and be in my driveway turning off the key at 1:30 to 1:45 AM depending on whether CalTrans was out to play "Musical Freeway Closures" that night... On about $6 of gas each way.

Yes, when you add in all the other costs of owning and maintaining a car that goes way up, but that goes right back to my basic premise - People don't take public transit if they can afford not to.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Calling it Sticky & Friends does a valuable service in reminding MC readers of that other transportation problem, keep up the good work, I love it.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    What about Metrolink from Anaheim to Chatsworth?
    Not at that time of night.
    The light rail runs late. These particular buses run late.
    And even then, as Bruce notes, you still have to leave by 9:15 or so.
    Big problem is the transfer of buses from OC to Long Beach. I guess the OC bus couldn't possibly go all the way to the Blue Line. Too much encroachment, which, as was recently stated regarding Metro's lack of jurisdiction in San Bernardino County, is what prevents a lot of mass transit options from getting to the drawin board.

Metrolink is mainly a commuter train into Union Station in the morning, and out of Union Station in the evening. Crossing through is possible maybe twice a day. I've gone from Moorpark to Anaheim, but I was meeting my wife, who had the car for the ride back home after The Boss concert.
    Last edited by sediment; 07-15-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Calling it Sticky & Friends does a valuable service in reminding MC readers of that other transportation problem, keep up the good work, I love it.
    If we keep this up, I think the Toy Story Lot might get filled and traffic will be rerouted to "The Structure."

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

If they could run the Metro Bus 460 line late getting back it wouldn't be so bad - but being a bus on primarily city streets it's slower than molasses uphill in a Minnesota January.

But you still can't count on catching the Last Connection Of The Night on any of those lines, any one link gets delayed or has a breakdown or other service interruption, and you have a disaster on your hands. That might mean leaving at 7:30 or 8 PM instead of 9.

The ONLY transit system around here that will actually take the responsibility of getting you to work or getting you home when things go wrong (and for no extra cost to you) is Metrolink. They'll dispatch a bus or commuter vans to get people home, or call a bunch of cabs and give the drivers payment vouchers.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The Pasadena Freeway? That's so yesterday.

Like stars here often do, Los Angeles' oldest freeway is getting a face-lift.
    Pasadena Freeway getting a new look and a new name - Los Angeles Times
    Pasadena Freeway getting a new look and a new name

L.A.'s oldest freeway will be renamed the Arroyo Seco Parkway as Caltrans adds new lighting, improves the center divider and adds decorative low walls to the shoulders.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Santa Monica Begins Debate on Station Design for Train Station Near 3rd Street Promenade and Pier

City officials in Santa Monica are trying to decide how the downtown Expo Line station should be developed, according to the Santa Monica Daily Press. Ideas being floated around include ground floor retail and residences above for a mixed use development or a vision to keep the station in a more park-like environment featuring open space.
    Santa Monica Begins Debate on Station Design for Train Station Near 3rd Street Promenade and Pier - LAist

• Rock Star Minion

Expo is going all the way to 3rd street and the pier? No need for a subway to the sea, then, eh?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Expo is going all the way to 3rd street and the pier? No need for a subway to the sea, then, eh?
    Well, if they were smart about it they'd have the subway end at an Expo line station around the VA and let people transfer and save the money to extend the Red Line north or some other worthy project.

But no, the ridership is there for both lines. Both start in Downtown and end in Santa Monica, but the Expo line is a substitute for driving on I-10 and the subway is a substitute for driving down Wilshire Blvd.

• Rock Star Minion

I was out driving on Friday and Saturday. It was horrible out there.

The 405 down to Manhattan Beach mid-day Friday. Return midnight (not so bad).
    Saturday morning to Will Rogers via Las Virgenes. Not bad. Return 3:45, and The PCH was backed up, so I took Temescal to Sunset to The 405 to the 101. All pretty slow.
    Then, back to Marina Del Ray starting at 5:30 or so. (Had to dress up, thus had to shower and change. And pick up wife.) Just terrible. Made decision to take The PCH again. Slow like molasses. Should have taken The 405.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Westchester Homeowners Want Extra Station on Crenshaw Line

Westchester Homeowners Want Extra Station on Crenshaw Line : Crenshaw Line : Curbed LA

... "The light rail line will have at least one station where Westchester residents can board the light rail line, at Aviation and Century boulevards," reports the paper. "An optional location, which a group of east Westchester homeowners have lobbied in favor of, could be located at Aviation and Manchester Avenue." The former stop would provide a link to LAX via a People Mover. Another reason Westchesters may be warming to the line is that the 60-year-old Westchester Playhouse will not be displaced--previously, it was considered as a possible casualty of the light-rail. More community meetings will take place next month, Metro will consider the Manchester station at another round of meetings, and pick the route in December (opening, without the 30/10 plan, is anticipated as 2018). Meanwhile, the Green Line extension to LAX, a separate project, is still supposedly moving forward but the website is a bit moribund.

· Second Possible Light-Rail Station for Westchester [Argonaut]
    · Crenshaw Line Update Comes With Blocks and Play-Doh [Curbed LA]