Page 41 of 116 FirstFirst ... 163138394041424344516691 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Don't slow down the light rail with useless stops!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You want ANOTHER light rail line to blow past LAX ? ? ? Reread that.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I'll reread it, but I see the map as ending at the Green Line Station, where the future "people mover" will pick up everyone.
    Station #1 is at Aviation and Century, and I think the people mover will "stop" there, too.
    The second station that Westchester folks want is up the line, away from LAX, at Aviation and Manchester.
    This is what buses are for, people: to get you to the rail station. Not to have one every mile or so.
    Last edited by sediment; 07-22-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's a real mess. WDI, can you design something better?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What Bart Reid doesn't get is that buses are too slow to navigate accross the vast terrain of traffic, that's why light rail and subway lines can get you to the general area you need to be, and a bus can do the last couple of miles to your exact destination. Also, a bus only system would not attract riders who own their own cars and drive solo on the freeways to/from work. And leave a car parked somewhere for 9 hours in a lot or garage or on the street. To get cars off the road and free up the streets for cars and buses, we need more people who are doing routine trips to make them on the rail system.

L.A. officials to mark 20th anniversary of Metro Rail system

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says there have been more than a billion boardings on its rail and bus lines since the Blue Line opened. But critics say ridership has been reduced.

L.A. officials to mark 20th anniversary of Metro Rail system - latimes.com

• Rock Star Minion

Also, buses exacerbate existing traffic problems more than they alleviate.

A little math:
    70 hours per year in traffic. That's 8 minutes each way per day.
    I guess I need to know what "in traffic" means. Is it that if it takes 20 minutes to drive to work at 2AM but it takes 28 minutes to drive at 8AM, that's 8 extra minutes, times 2, times 5, times 52, divided by 60, equals 70 hours "in traffic"?
    Meh. Look at the weather. The cost of living with such great weather.

• Rock Star Minion

Quick note: updated Post #5 to include Greyhound Bus info.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Iron-Clad Allie

Question. Why is the Los angeles airport called LAX. Is this an acronym? If so, i can't even begin to guess what the letters stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'll reread it, but I see the map as ending at the Green Line Station, where the future "people mover" will pick up everyone.
    Station #1 is at Aviation and Century, and I think the people mover will "stop" there, too.
    The second station that Westchester folks want is up the line, away from LAX, at Aviation and Manchester.
    This is what buses are for, people: to get you to the rail station. Not to have one every mile or so.
    Light rail should only concerned with it's schedule connecting with that of the people mover...the busses be damned.

It's a real mess. WDI, can you design something better?
    Yeah. Design some advertisements that are geared toward pulling people away from yesteryear's busses and onto today's people movers.

What Bart Reid doesn't get is that buses are too slow to navigate accross the vast terrain of traffic, that's why light rail and subway lines can get you to the general area you need to be, and a bus can do the last couple of miles to your exact destination. Also, a bus only system would not attract riders who own their own cars and drive solo on the freeways to/from work. And leave a car parked somewhere for 9 hours in a lot or garage or on the street. To get cars off the road and free up the streets for cars and buses, we need more people who are doing routine trips to make them on the rail system.

L.A. officials to mark 20th anniversary of Metro Rail system

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says there have been more than a billion boardings on its rail and bus lines since the Blue Line opened. But critics say ridership has been reduced.

L.A. officials to mark 20th anniversary of Metro Rail system - latimes.com
    Happy anniversary Metro Rail! May you be blessed with many more years to come of successful mass transportation service.

As for the busses, waiting for them is a real drag. I always opt for a cab over a bus.

Also, buses exacerbate existing traffic problems more than they alleviate.

A little math:
    70 hours per year in traffic. That's 8 minutes each way per day.
    I guess I need to know what "in traffic" means. Is it that if it takes 20 minutes to drive to work at 2AM but it takes 28 minutes to drive at 8AM, that's 8 extra minutes, times 2, times 5, times 52, divided by 60, equals 70 hours "in traffic"?
    Meh. Look at the weather. The cost of living with such great weather.
    Like sediment said, they only increase traffic conjestion. they also polute the air. Get rid of them.

Quick note: updated Post #5 to include Greyhound Bus info.
    Thanx, dude.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think the "X" stands for the runways. I don't really know. Sediment? Bruce?

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'm glad that they are bringing it back. I wonder what the rationale was for closing it down.

• Imagination

Taken from LAX's website.

"Every airport today has a unique three-letter identifier to streamline the process of tracking the millions of items of airport data transmitted daily, including flight plans and weather reports.
    Before the 1930s, existing airports used a two-letter abbreviation based on the weather station at the airports. So, at that time, LA served as the designation for Los Angeles International Airport. But, with the rapid growth in the aviation industry, the designations expanded to three letters, and LA became LAX. The letter X does not otherwise have any specific meaning in this identifier"
    Please wait while we imagineer a new signature!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by D Duck View Post
    Taken from LAX's website.

"Every airport today has a unique three-letter identifier to streamline the process of tracking the millions of items of airport data transmitted daily, including flight plans and weather reports.
    Before the 1930s, existing airports used a two-letter abbreviation based on the weather station at the airports. So, at that time, LA served as the designation for Los Angeles International Airport. But, with the rapid growth in the aviation industry, the designations expanded to three letters, and LA became LAX. The letter X does not otherwise have any specific meaning in this identifier"
    Terrific research, D Duck. I very much appreciate you filling me in.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Light rail should only concerned with it's schedule connecting with that of the people mover...the busses be damned.
    Agreed. Westchester needs to maximize the ridership of its citizens on Crenshaw Line by reconfiguring its bus routes around the ONE Westchester stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Thanx, dude.
    No problem. I don't want people to look through all this futurama stuff to find the current information. It's all (that I know) in Post #5.