Page 46 of 116 FirstFirst ... 36434445464748495696 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

I've been advocating this for longer than my lifetime!!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I know, I remember it showed up in the ultrasound.

• Rock Star Minion

AConnext | Anaheim Transit. Where You Want to Go.

ARTIC has upgraded their web site.
    States that ARC (Anaheim Rapid Connection) is the name of the ARTIC-to-Resort transportation. Says it's coming 2016. Mode of transport not yet determined, but that's just a small detail.
    I still prefer a loop system, i.e., one track (if a track is used).

States that High-Speed Rail is coming 2018! Actual route, stops, types of trains, etc., not determined yet, but, again, small details.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I like this map. I'll start coming down to Disneyland on the train if the HSR and ARC are in place to get me to the gates.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

I like this map. I'll start coming down to Disneyland on the train if the HSR and ARC are in place to get me to the gates.
    Yes.

Someday.
    HSR to Anaheim has a final stop at Irvine near the Great Park.
    you know what that Great Park should be? AN AIRPORT!! Not a park!! Runways seem longer than OC's. And a HSR stop would be a nice draw.

http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/google-map/

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

· Whittier Route Gets Support in Light-Rail Talks [WDN]
    · Eastside Transit Corridor Phase II [Metro]

Metro is currently deciding where to extend the East LA extension of the Gold Line. I like the Whittier option. http://www.metro.net/projects_studie...tside2_Eng.pdf

Whittier is on the way to Anaheim, isn't it? Maybe OCTA could eventually build a line to connect to the Gold Line, or pay for MTA to extend service into the OC?

Whittier Winning More Fans in Eastside Light Rail Race

Curbed LA : The Los Angeles Neighborhoods and Real Estate Blog : Page 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Whittier is not that close to DL.
    They'd have to stretch it to intersection of Harbor and Whittier Blvd. Then, maybe, get something straight south on Harbor.

There appears to be a RoW along Lambert Road. This RoW hooks up with tracks that go to Fullerton Station, and on to Anaheim.

San Gabriel Valley officials ask Metro to consider extending light-rail line to Industry

Whittier Councilman Owen Newcomer, whose city supports the Washington Boulevard alternative, said extending it to a football stadium makes no sense.

"Why would you want to add $1 billion in cost to go to a stadium that doesn't exist, and if it ever did exist, it's only going to see 10 games a year?" he asked.

Asked about the advantages of connecting with a Metrolink line, Newcomer answered, "Not bad, but not a key advantage given the cost and given that it's not going through heavy residential areas."

Newcomer said a light-rail line needs to be near residential areas. "If they have to drive to the station, it defeats the purpose of light-rail," he said.
    San Gabriel Valley officials ask Metro to consider extending light-rail line to Industry - Pasadena Star-News

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Tom LaBonge: Expanding Red Line is key to solving traffic problems

By LA City Councilman Tom LaBonge

Ten years after the MTA Red Line subway opened, it is clear that the current system is a fraction of what our growing city needs. We need more, and I want to be sure that we go the extra mile on planning so that we don't find 10 years down the line that we've shortchanged ourselves.

As a member of the Los Angeles City Council's Transportation Committee, a former Metropolitan Transportation Authority board member and a lifelong rail advocate, I recommend that MTA expand the Red Line by connecting the neighborhoods where people live to the regional centers of commerce, culture and education. There are several routes that I feel strongly that MTA should add to its plans.

Specifically, MTA should expand the Red, Purple and Green lines in the most cost-effective way possible, by using existing rights of way throughout the city. If we take advantage of freeway and former Red Car rights of way, we can dramatically reduce the cost of subway expansion. We can also go above grade in some areas, which would also save money.

In the San Fernando Valley, the Red Line should expand to communities in the North Valley that have grown dramatically over the past 20 years. Specifically, it should continue north underground from the North Hollywood station terminus to Valley Plaza at Victory and Laurel Canyon boulevards. From there, it should go northwest to the 170 Freeway and come above ground. Then, it should follow the center of Highway 170, using the existing public right of way, to Interstate 5 and continue north to Santa Clarita.
    Tom LaBonge: Expanding Red Line is key to solving traffic problems - LA Daily News

Another line that should take advantage of the freeway right of way is the Gold Line. We should add a westbound spur from Pasadena along Highway 134 through Glendale, a stop for Griffith Park and the Los Angeles Zoo to an intermodal facility at the Bob Hope Airport in Burbank.
    We should also extend the Red and Purple subway lines to the Downtown Arts District using an existing rail spur to the Red Line maintenance yard in the neighborhood. I proposed this during a temporary, one-day appointment to the MTA Board of Directors this year and downtown residents supported it immediately.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Westside subway may not ease much traffic

An MTA report finds that in 2035 the subway extension will only result in a 1% cut in vehicle use and that freeways and major streets along the line will remain heavily congested.
    To obtain information about the hearings and to view the draft report, the public can visit the MTA’s website at www.metro.net/westside.

The environmental review analyzed a no-build option and five proposed subway routes including a nine-mile extension to Westwood, a 12-mile route to Santa Monica, and a 16-mile option that includes spurs to Santa Monica and West Hollywood. The estimated costs of the alternatives range from $4.2 billion to $9 billion.

A final environmental impact report will be prepared after MTA officials select a route for construction on Oct. 28.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Get the Shovels Out: Metro Wants Regional Connector Underground

Metro looked at four options--building nothing, connecting trains with at-grade stations downtown, connecting trains with a mostly underground route downtown, and finally, doing the whole darn thing underground (image is of a typical underground station). They chose the last option, supported by downtown locals, as their recommendation. Metro is planning to use a mix of local, state, and federal funds to pay for the $1.24 billion project, with the bulk of the funding from Measure R.
    "The alignment would extend underground from the 7th Street/Metro Center Station Under Flower Street and 2nd Street to Central Avenue in the same manner as the Underground Emphasis LRT Alternative. At 2nd Street and Central Avenue, the tracks would continue underground heading northeast under 1st and Alameda Streets.

An underground junction would be constructed beneath the intersection of 1st Street and Alameda Street. To the north and east of the junction, trains would rise to the surface through two new portals to connect to the Metro Gold Line heading north to Azusa and east towards 1-605."

Four new stations would be constructed--at Flower/5th, 2nd/Hope, 2nd/Broadway, and it looks like the current Gold Line station in Little Tokyo would be placed underground at 2nd and Central so trains wouldn't need to cross 1st and Alameda at-grade.
    A formal decision from Metro will come about a year from now and federal approval in fall 2011--then engineering and construction in 2012, or likely 2013. Opening is scheduled for 2019, but could speed up with 30/10.

• Senior Minion

It's good to hear Mr. LaBonge suggesting all of those things. It's funny how many of the things he's talking about have been discussed in this thread already.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Some of his ideas are a little far off, but I'm glad he's a dependable vote for rail transit.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Draft study for Westside Subway Extension released; among the details — it would be a 25-minute ride from Union Station to Westwood

Big, long, wonky reports do not change the world. But the release of the report is a significant milestone for the Westside Extension. The DEIS/R is a necessary precursor for the project to receive federal funding and the release is a signal that Metro is hoping — after unsuccessfully trying last year — to secure federal dollars in next year’s budget.
    This article breaks down that big wonky report for ya folks.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Obama Wants $50 Billion Invested in Transportation, Villaraigosa Chimes In About 30/10

"We’re talking investments in tomorrow that are creating hundreds of thousands of private sector jobs today," said the President. "Over the next six years, we are going to rebuild 150,000 miles of our roads - enough to circle the world six times. We’re going to lay and maintain 4,000 miles of our railways - enough to stretch coast-to-coast. We’re going to restore 150 miles of runways and advance a next generation air-traffic control system to reduce travel time and delays for American travelers - something I think folks across the political spectrum could agree on."

Obama also talked about the national Infrastructure Bank, a concept that could help Los Angeles out someday.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa this year has been championing the 30/10 plan, which would condense 30 years of public transit projects -- 12 in all -- into 10 years. The federal government would loan the region billions with a guarantee of being paid back via L.A. County's Measure R sales tax.
    "President Obama's plan to improve and build upon our nation's transportation infrastructure is exactly the type of investment our country needs," Villaraigosa said.
    Obama Wants $50 Billion Invested in Transportation, Villaraigosa Chimes In About 30/10 - LAist

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

... Work is starting in earnest on that Gold Line extension basket bridge, reports Arcadia'sBest.com. Engineers will likely be milling about Arcadia's Santa Anita and Baldwin Avenues preparing for construction of the "iconic freeway structure," as it's being called. The bridge will cost around $18.5 million dollars and is the first part of the extension--ranked the 5th largest construction project in the county by the Los Angeles Business Journal--being built.

"The bridge will be in the exact same spot the previous bridge was before trains stopped running there in the 1990s and it was removed because it did not meet earthquake safety requirements," according to the story. Arcadia'sBest.com also reports the Foothill Extension second phase, to Montclair, is almost done with its environmental reviews, while a proposed extension to Ontario airport will begin an alternative analysis study later this year.
    Curbed LA : The Los Angeles Neighborhoods and Real Estate Blog

· Bridge Work Begins Over 210 [ArcadiasBest.com]
    · AECOM to Design Basket Bridge [Curbed LA]

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Gee, that "Basket Bridge" looks like the EXACT SAME BRIDGE that was up there before, with the addition of the four mid-span pilasters and the two cross-freeway stabilization beams...

I want to know who paid to put the last bridge up (IIRC there was a steel girder span there from the forties or fifties, and they had to replace it with the reinforced concrete version when they widened the freeway in the 1970's) and who decided the bridge had to come down after the 1994 earthquake and it failed the 'Seismic Reviews'.

Because SOMEONE owes the Gold Line Extension Authority the difference between what it's costing them to rebuild the bridge from scratch in 2010 dollars, and what it would have cost them to just put in the new footings and pilasters and beams and retrofit the existing span - which would probably need "safety straps" (steel cables) between the span and the approach foundations to limit the movement at the expansion joints in an earthquake. And that's nothing versus starting over.

I'll guarantee that figure for the difference is in the several tens of millions. Note that we never do things the smart way, it's always the expensive way.

--=<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1