Page 54 of 116 FirstFirst ... 42944515253545556576479104 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Click the link in Post 791, guys...

• Rock Star Minion

Sorry, can't see it at work. Onion is pretty funny stuff, I agree.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Did you watch it at home, it's pretty funny.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You High-Speed Rail folks aren't going to like this:

Why High-Speed Trains Don't Make Sense - Newsweek

Pretty much what I've been saying all along: I'd like to see them built, but a small fraction of the cost. There is no need for them to be so freaking expensive, except to funnel public dollars from our wallets to construction owners' and workers' wallets, who then move some of that to the politicians' wallets.
    I honestly don't agree with the article, the author seems more stuck in time instead of thinking of the future, and must love the 8-9 (depending on traffic) hour drive from Sacramento to Los Angeles.

I-5 for the past 5 years is so crowded even between Tracy to hitting the "Grape Vine," is mostly all farmland, where are these cars coming from? We all know the answer. Both ways, the two way freeway needs 2 more lanes for North/South lanes. Look at the East Coast, trains are just as a necessity as driving, especially between DC up through New York City. The biggest mistake Los Angles ever done was take away the street railcars, hard to believe but at one time Los Angeles was very public transportation friendly like San Francisco but all that went to hell by the 1920s. California needs the investment of better transportation.PERIOD.

For me, it always not only seemed cool but made sense to make a bullet train from either Sacramento or San Francisco all way to San Diego. Don't bring up earthquakes as an issue because Japan has bullet trains, and they have huge quakes too. Californians are so obsessed with there cars, its sickening.

Like hello, from San Francisco to Los Angeles, it will take the bullet train little over 2 hours, what's an extra hour compared to an hour's flight? Just means, "Sir, may I another martini, please." =)

The project is happening, back in September. Japan offered California a whopping$40 billion for the over-all project, even China is helping out, since they know how to build these cool trains (Japan Offers California Loan for $40 Billion High-Speed Train - Bloomberg).

The major hold up wasn't money but the San Francisco Bay Area, why? The terrain between South San Francisco, and Gilroy. Then from Gilroy to between Merced/Fresno is a lot granite mountains. After years of study, the final route is set. I for one can't wait for this project to happen. Signs of this massive project are already starting but where else, the great city of San Francisco.

After 71 years, the old San Francisco Transbay Terminal building is being torn down for new, grand terminal hub called Transbay Center (Transbay Center). Which will blow all future California High-Speed Rail Authority (planned) stations in Los Angeles, Anaheim, and San Diego out of the water.

Breaking ground for Transbay Center...

The new center will not only serve the MUNI but Greyhound, Golden Gate Transit, AC Transit, SamTrans, WestCA, and be home to the California High-Speed Rail Authority. Along with California's future tallest skyscraper (over 80 stories tall), new mall, and more. Love the design.

Now this (below) is the future 'Grand Central Station.'

Giving another reason for Los Angeles to hate San Francisco ("The City" not San Fran)~
    California High-Speed Rail Authority & Transbay Center

California's tallest skyscraper, The Transbay Tower, is already rising on the new Transbay Center complex site in downtown San Francisco, by 2015, Los Angeles will no longer have the crown (though The US Bank Tower is a beautiful skyscraper).
    Last edited by JMora; 11-18-2010 at 12:20 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    Interesting, thanks for that post.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You High-Speed Rail folks aren't going to like this:

Why High-Speed Trains Don't Make Sense - Newsweek
    Exactly......this is why I want transportation systems to go back to Private Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    That was pretty funny......but since yesterday I am starting to take the Onion a little more seriously. they did a story about Greg Oden re-injuring himself during a practice for his NBA comeback a couple of weeks ago.....yesterday, their "prediction" came true
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Careful using the offramps if the bullet bus is in the shoulder high speed bus lane

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    I honestly don't agree with the article, the author seems more stuck in time instead of thinking of the future, and must love the 8-9 (depending on traffic) hour drive from Sacramento to Los Angeles.
    I don't think that is correct. I think he believes, as do I, that the current price tags are way too high. I'm pretty sure he'd be gung ho for it with a $0 price tag. So, somewhere in between those two numbers is a break-even point where a rational thinker would be indifferent. I think it's around 10% of the estimates. People who benefit most from projects like these will have a higher number in mind.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JMora View Post
    Giving another reason for Los Angeles to hate San Francisco ("The City" not San Fran)~
    We don't hate San Francisco.
    It's the people that are unbearable! We hate the hate. We hate the second-city attitude.

Otherwise, a real nice post!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Republicans to California: Give Us Back Those High-Speed Funds
    Via the Mercury News, not entirely unexpected news that the Republicans are clamoring for stimulus funds: "Rep. Jerry Lewis, R-Redlands, last week introduced the American Recovery and Reinvestment Rescission Act, which would return the final $12 billion in unspent and uncommitted stimulus funds to the U.S. Treasury to help fight the $1.3 trillion U.S. deficit. About half the remaining stimulus money is set aside for planned high-speed rail projects. The largest is in California, which has spent nearly $200 million of its $2.25 billion award on planning but is saving the rest for construction." According to the paper, while bill would "would have to get past a Democrat-controlled Senate and Obama's veto pen," the High-Speed Rail Authority is keeping a close watch on the situation.
    See also: http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo...nclick_check=1

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

California Cities Desire Streetcars

In transportation terms, streetcars play the same role as downtown shuttle buses – they are “circulators” connecting places in close proximity to one another. Many planners see streetcars not as transportation projects at all and are instead “place-making” devices, according to Maureen Pascoe, capital improvement manager for the City of West Sacramento. Pascoe is in charge of the Riverfront Streetcar Plan, which is being developed in cooperation with the City of Sacramento.

“The (transportation) paradigm is changing from mobility to accessibility,” said Gloria Ohland, the Los Angeles-based author of Street Smart: Streetcars and Cities in the Twenty-First Century. “Accessibility is really about things like streetcars….so you can be in one place have access to a lot of things without having to drive from point A to point B.”

Streetcars have been proposed for downtown Los Angeles’ Broadway, which is lined with underutilized historic buildings. The effort is supported with up to $10 million in redevelopment funds and Los Angeles County Metro released a request for proposals seeking firms to conduct an initial environmental study.
    California Cities Desire Streetcars | California Planning & Development Report
    Unlike light rail lines, which dominated rail transit over the past two decades, streetcars travel at grade and usually in the flow of traffic, without dedicated rights of way. It is their integral role in the streetscape that, supporters say, make them sought-after tools for urban development and economic development.

“They can catalyze development because of their real and perceived sense of permanence,” said Zach Seal, Broadway Streetcar Project manager for the City of Oakland. “Once the developers see the tracks laid in the asphalt they know the streetcar will be there for decades and know they can make large investments in dense, green, mixed use housing along the streetcar line.”

• Iron-Clad Allie

We all get on the trams to take us back to our car at the end of the night.

But what if you could board a monorail in the esplanade instead, and get dropped off at the train station where you make a connection on the high speed rail. You could be back in LA faster than some people even get to their car. The ride to LA from Anaheim Station will be 15 or 20 min, and it will take about 10 min to get from Disneyland resort to ARTIC.

Nice for CM's who work in Anaheim and live in LA, they won't have to motor down the freeway, just park and ride from Union Station.
    I can't wait to see ARTIC-Land!

Streetcars are practical, fun and aesthetically cool. Just can't beat a transportation system that one can board or disembark at just about any point on the vehicle. Being electric, one might say that they are the oldest environmentally sound mode of traveling in the world. their footprint is almost as old as that of a dinosaur.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

A friend of mine is being appointed as the head of the High Speed Rail project. The first phase will not take place in the Bay Area as was reported several months back. It will insted begin at one of two corridors presently being debated. The first corridor will either be between Merced amd Fresno, or between Fresno and Bakersfield.

The main issue of concern is farmers acting thru Ag Bureaus to prevent HSR from being built across their property. It does make more sense to simply build the system aext to existing train tracks, even though rural land (beside the RR property) would still need to be userped thru eminent domain. But, the railroad companies are fighting the notion of HSR being built beside it. The state should turn a deaf ear to them.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-01-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You don't see the firestorm approaching when we open a high speed rail line from Modesto to Fresno? How many passengers need to pay a premium to travel at high speed between these two cities? This doesn't bode well unless we secure the funds to either connect into LA or SF. Even then, if it doesn't connect the Bay Area to Southern California, it's not going to have passengers.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    A friend of mine is being appointed as the head of the High Speed Rail project.
    Tell your friend to cut the costs by 90%.