Page 60 of 116 FirstFirst ... 10505758596061626370110 ... LastLast

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

They can "name" a station anything they want, but if nobody chooses to use the name...

If the station in question in right in front of the companies headquarters office building - maybe, other than that everyone can still choose to call the station by the cross-street name or other old original designation.

Obligatory Disney Example: Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant and Stage - practically everyone chooses to still call it by the original name, even while Buzz Lightyear was squatting there and while Darth Maul is... Someone would try to correct me, and I'd correct them right back and tell 'em why - and I never got any arguments. And Tom Sawyer Island, Swiss Family Treehouse...

I know several radio shows that won't use the (purchased) name of the stadium or arena building. "They haven't paid *us* to *use* the name - So we're calling it just 'The Arena' or 'The Center'. Unless said mega-corporation wants to call the Advertising Department at the station and buy some ad time on my program, then we'll reconsider." It's a futile yet very visible effort against the practice.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Bad enough using colors instead of numbers for the lines.
    How so?

I'd find numbers more confusing, but I am used to colors being used as we use colors for light rail down in San Diego as well, but not sure how using colors is bad.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I agree, I like colors better than number designations.

• Rock Star Minion

1. Colors are not used as actual colors of the trains. So, why use colors to distinguish them? I mean, I'm at 7th Metro station and the purple line and red line both come through. Knowing the colors doesn't help at all. You still need to know the last stop, which is
    2. A number could actually be used on the in the place where they designate the last stop. "1 -- North Hollywood" or something like that.
    3. Someone cannot be colorblind to numbers.
    4. Numbers are unique to each other. Colors fade into each other.
    5. Using colors actually caused a heavy and irrational debate about whether the Expo Line, which goes through USC, should be aqua, a color too close to that of UCLA. Yes, actual debate and wasting of time. Numbers wouldn't even create a debate.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

But I'm not good at remembering numbers and I'm not colorblind. By the way, welcome J SMITH to the Mass Transit Train.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

UPDATE: 710 FREEWAY TUNNEL

Perspectives Offered on the 710 Freeway Tunnel

Perspectives Offered on the 710 Freeway Tunnel | Crescenta Valley Weekly

Pointing out that the projected cost for the tunnel extension has ranged from $1.2 billion as high as $12 billion, Najarian warned that, “We as a region owe it to ourselves to find out how much this project costs […] before we make a decision.”

UPDATE: WESTSIDE SUBWAY EXTENSION

Latest community presentation for Westside Subway Extension now online

All the stations will have one entrance except for the Westwood/UCLA station, which will have two because of expected passenger loads there. One entrance is anticipated at that UCLA parking lot and another somewhere at the Westwood Boulevard intersection. The stations will be designed so more entrances could be added by adjacent property owners.
    The Source » Latest community presentation for Westside Subway Extension now online

UPDATE: CALIFORNIA HIGH SPEED RAIL

Peninsula's High-Speed Rail Project-Level EIR Could Be Delayed
    "The most attractive and the most modern system is now the Chinese system," Diridon said. "Seventy percent of the Chinese system is aerial. The preference around the world is for an elevated structure. Once in awhile you have a tunnel, but the cost of a tunnel is four to six times more expensive."

He added that the Peninsula shouldn't hold out hope for a tunnel system.

"If we build a tunnel down the Peninsula, we’re going to have the build the tunnel for Sanger, and Cochrane, and the other Central Valley cities," Diridon said. "That’s the law. If we don’t, the project will be stopped by legal action."
    Peninsula's High-Speed Rail Project-Level EIR Could Be Delayed - Belmont, CA Patch

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    But I'm not good at remembering numbers and I'm not colorblind. By the way, welcome J SMITH to the Mass Transit Train.
    Thanks.

I find it easier as well to remember what color line I need, but I suppose in San Diego our lines dont typically share routes at all (outside of downtown core) so you generally dont have more then 1 line at each station.

I dunno how its done in LA but in San Diego our light rail just says Orange Line, Blue Line, and Green Line, yes the little signs are in color but they are clearly spelled out what color line it is, and each line has an unique symbol.

Also makes light rail stand out from the bus services, I mean if the light rail (trolley) had numbers, it would be more difficult to know what was a bus and what was rail.

Granted I'd venture our system down here is a little easier to figure out then LA's.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Perfectly said. What do you think about today's other developments?

• Rock Star Minion

Well, we have four lines and a spur (purple) (this excludes colored bus lines like the Orange and Silver). The hard part is that most people aren't near one and never have to learn about it. Not like everyone should pick and move close to one, but that is the problem of adding a transit system to an existing, widespread population.
    Last edited by sediment; 01-28-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Does most people = the white flight from the 50's through 90's who live on the outmost reaches of the metropolis? I live five blocks from the northern terminus of the Red Line in a single family suburban neigborhood.

• Rock Star Minion

Plus everyone else who lives more than a few miles from a station, AND who wants to go someplace within a few blocks.

Contrast to, say, NYC. That's a more vertical city, but most of that was built after the subway lines were determined.

just saying ours would be a lot more confusing if there were eight more lines serving 85% of the population.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The Beverly Hills Board of Education may be taking a softer stance towards the Metropolitan Transit Authority as it decides on the subway route for the Westside Subway Extension, but the candidates running for Beverly Hills City Council certainly are not.
    The MTA is still considering two subway routes through Beverly Hills, officials said. One path would entail tunneling under Beverly Hills High School in order to stop on Constellation Boulevard in Century City. The other route, favored by city officials and most residents, would go under Santa Monica Boulevard and stop on Santa Monica Boulevard in Century City.
    City Council Candidates Warn MTA at Subway Forum - Beverly Hills, CA Patch

We're going to waste a lot of money in litigation if the MTA pursues the more central location for it's subway stop in Century City. Beverly Hills sounds like it's lawyering up.

• Rock Star Minion

Meh.
    Solution:
    Build tracks along Santa Monica Blvd.
    Build station at Avenue of the Stars and SM Blvd, but extend the station under ALL of Avenue of The Stars. With a moving sidewalk to make the walk a little easier. They use them at all the airports.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Then they could effectively have two portals to the station. However, news accounts have said it runs along a fault line, under Santa Monica Blvd. - not sure if that's a canard or a legitimate concern.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Where intercity passenger trains compete with freight – in most of the country these days, excluding the NEC – “Amtrak can only run a handful of trains per day because they’re leasing space on a freight railroad that doesn’t keep the schedules,” said Petra Todorovich, an expert on high-speed rail with the nonprofit America 2050. “When [freight trains] fill up their cargo from the yard, then they leave the yard. So Amtrak is trying to run passenger trains on a schedule on tracks that are owned by a railroad that doesn’t keep a schedule.”

That’s why rail service in much of the country has been infrequent and unreliable and has been in a poor position to compete with private automobiles or air travel. Amtrak continues to run those lines as a public service, in many cases mandated by Congress – but they’re not profitable or efficient.

So a dedicated track for passenger rail in Florida and California presents a unique opportunity for rail to show off what it can do for other parts of the country, which haven’t historically had world-class train service.
    Streetsblog Capitol Hill » What Will Become of Amtrak If It?s Left Out of Plans to Expand HSR?
    But will Amtrak survive if it doesn’t nab these high-speed routes? Certainly Amtrak is going to fight hard for the chance to run them, but Engel didn’t seem to think it was an existential question. And he’s still hopeful that much of the federal money will find its way to Amtrak. He wouldn’t engage in “forecasting” but he said that while Amtrak was in a good position to compete in Florida, “California is going to play out very differently than Florida.”