Page 62 of 116 FirstFirst ... 123752596061626364657287112 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    So funny you should be discussing this... What do you think of this article?

It relates not to residential real estate prices, but to congestion, and transit USE which is the first concern of transit.
    Um, I think you need one (jobs near transit) to influence the other. What good is living near transit if it doesn't get you to work?

I'll file this in the "Water is Wet" folder.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You're missing the point. I think they're saying instead of building transit villages (apartments/condos) on top of subway stops, they should build offices.

• Rock Star Minion

I'm not missing the point. I think that is MY point.
    Why does BART work so well? It goes right to Market Street in the business district of San Francisco.

It is one of the reasons why a system in SoCal will not work as well as in other places. The businesses are simply not concentrated enough. There are pockets, but no singular great concentration. The downtown is downytowny enough.

This study also serves notice to planners: find where people work, THEN create mass transit to those places. Oh, you could try to make places for businesses to set up shop, but that would probably require tax subsidies or something that benefits the business in question.

Lastly, the study I link to probably also works in reverse: commercial land and buildings near stations will also be higher-priced, blunting the efforts of getting businesses to move nearer.

I worked at the Transamerica Center in South Downtown LA. That building all by itself east of Staples. Lived in The Valley. Took Metrolink from Van Nuys (drove there about 4 miles) to Union Station, then Red Line to Metro-7th, then hoofed it from there. It was the most convenient route I could find, after trying Blue Line station at Pico, a DASH bus that stopped every 1/10 of a mile, walking to Pershing Square, etc. It sucked to work so far away from the train, but I don't know of any incentive that would have moved this particular company closer to the Red Line.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Um, I think you need one (jobs near transit) to influence the other. What good is living near transit if it doesn't get you to work?

I'll file this in the "Water is Wet" folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You're missing the point. I think they're saying instead of building transit villages (apartments/condos) on top of subway stops, they should build offices.
    to reiterate my point, and its not missing:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

EXPO LINE Construction Update

in december, judge thomas mcknew issued a tentative ruling in favor of the expo line construction authority in that lawsuit brought by westside group neighbors for smart rail over the second phase of the expo line. that decision is now final, according to court documents filed this week. According to a spokesperson for county supervisor zev yaroslavsky, phase 2 construction, which includes seven new stations in a 7-mile segment, is scheduled to begin this year. Completion and service to santa monica is expected to be done by 2015.
    http://la.curbed.com/

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

GOLD LINE EXTENSION Update

Monrovia property owner sues to stop Gold Line [Patch]

A lawsuit filed by a local property owner could upend a plan to locate a critical piece of the Gold Line Foothill Extension in Monrovia and delay the much-anticipated light rail project.
    http://monrovia.patch.com/articles/l...ct-in-monrovia

But a lawsuit filed Feb. 17 by a local property owner who stands to lose his property to the GLCA through eminent domain alleges that the construction authority improperly conducted the environmental review, according to court documents.

Robert P. Silverstein, the attorney for George Brokate, who owns property on Evergreen Avenue inside the proposed project area, said Tuesday that the GLCA "whitewashed" the environmental report for the project area.

"The Gold Line Authority was obligated to comply with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)...," Silverstein said. "We contend that they grossly failed to do so and disregarded all of our objections and our experts reports."

Silverstein said his client does not want to sell his property, which he currently leases to an industrial distribution company. The lawsuit seeks to invalidate an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) conducted by the GLCA and force it to restart the process.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Maps: Transit Coalition's Proposed I-405 Rail Project

With a decisive focus on the massive I-405 corridor, a transit project back by The Transit Coalition and The Regenerative Communities Project was presented yesterday during a joint House-Senate hearing in Los Angeles on transportation, and the 30/10 plan to implement several transit projects in the region as expediently as possible.

Maps: Transit Coalition's Proposed I-405 Rail Project - LAist
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 04-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The NIMBYs are on the march again... And it would benefit them.

Oh, and everybody remember those Active Oil Wells on the south end of the Beverly Hills High property, wedged in next to the Hospital building with the driveway off Wilshire? They have to make sure to steer clear of that end of the property...

Oh, and you can go next to or between High Rise buildings, but probably NOT straight under it unless you dive real deep and/or aim your path Real Carefully - remember, they have rather substantial footings that go down quite a ways.

You can go between or around the driven pilings or drill-and-fill concrete caissons fairly easily if you plan ahead and know exactly where they are (and they didn't deviate from the blueprints).

But going through the foundation pilings (and building a header beam to take the loads around the tunnel, and new footers on each side of the tunnel) will be expensive as heck. In this case, having the tunnel and possibly a bit of the station going under the school buildings would be a far better option.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Rock Star Minion

Time to plan an Olympic Blvd path....
    Just west of Fairfax, go under eother McCarthy Vista or Schumacher Drive to Oly. Just completely bypass BH altogether.

As for The 405, under or over it, from The Valley to LAX, this follows the example of putting stations where the jobs are: LAX, Westwood, Century City, etc. People with jobs at those places will move closer to stations on that route.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

"Long Tunnel" Option, Anyone? Latest on High-Speed Rail and Downtown - CurbedWire - Curbed LA

Two of the proposed routes go completely under the Los Angeles State Historic Park in a so-called "long tunnel" option, news that will likely please environmental groups like Natural Resources Defense Council, which had pushed to protect the park from trenching (or cut and cover options). A third route sees the train travel at an at-grade/aerial combination through the Rio de Los Angeles State Park, following the Metrolink alignment towards State Route 2.

Line mostly at-grade through the San Fernando Valley. Not everyone's thrilled.>>>

These three routes leaving downtown--the only ones to be studied for the draft EIR--are a refinement from numerous other routes at one point being considered around the parks and Dodger Stadium. (And how the train initially leaves Union Station is still being decided, but it will be from either an at-grade or aerial route.)

Meanwhile, a predominately at-grade alignment through the San Fernando Valley is being considered for the Palmdale to Los Angeles line, Dan Tempelis, regional manager for the route, told the board. Additionally, the downtown Burbank stop has been dropped; if there’s a stop, it will be near the airport. And the Pacoima Washington stop has been dropped.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

More High-Speed Fun: How It Could Go Through the Valley

Curbed LA : The Los Angeles Neighborhoods and Real Estate Blog

The first presentation, given by Palmdale to L.A. project manager Dan Tempelis, discussed how tracks would proceed from Los Angeles Union Station to the north end of the San Fernando Valley. You can view the full presentation here. What follows is a quick rundown of staff recommendations to the board.
    The Source » High-Speed Rail Authority Board reviews alternatives for routing in Los Angeles area
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 04-05-2011 at 01:11 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

I'm with the commenters who say that whichever route allows for the highest speeds, that should be built.
    I cannot tell the commenters there (because my browser is old) that the HSR goes to Palmdale, because that's the route of the whole California HSR. This HSR is not for SoCal'ers per se. It benefits SoCal when it gets OTHER people here.
    Last edited by sediment; 03-09-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Making a slight route detour through Palmdale to have a stop there would be worthwhile, because that's already a fairly large population area with a large majority that commutes down the 14 into Los Angeles.

With the potential to get a whole lot larger - wide open desert, and if they had a reliable water supply it could easily support several million residents. San Fernando Valley North, and double
    (or more) the acreage.

You want to get other people here, yes - but if it's also a good commuting choice, that's "Mo' Better..."

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1