Page 63 of 116 FirstFirst ... 133853606162636465667388113 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

I'm just saying that people complaining about the HSR "going to Palmdale" don't realize that it's the segment of the rail from LA to SF and the rest of NoCal. There should be no discussion about Palmdale.
    Besides, it goes right past Palmdale Airport, which has plenty of room to expand. Heck, Edwards AFB could be decommissioned and reconfigured as a commercial airport, if there is HSR from us to it.

Now, bypassing The Valley and Santa Clarita for an extremely long tunnel through the San Gabriel Mountains would be really hot.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

No we Valley Girls and Guys and Santa Claritans want to go to San Francisco, too.

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. Get to Union Station.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Besides, it goes right past Palmdale Airport, which has plenty of room to expand. Heck, Edwards AFB could be decommissioned and reconfigured as a commercial airport, if there is HSR from us to it.
    Don't even joke about that - there is an ongoing need for Edwards AFB as a test flight heaven for developing the next generation of aircraft. When testing new designs it's invaluable to have a miles long runway that has another mile of flat desert at each end for a crisis - like if the plane manages to land but has no brakes.

Decommissioning Edwards would be easy - replicating it's capabilities somewhere else would be massively expensive.

If anything, you could expand Palmdale Airport to handle the entire region's traffic with ease, while maintaining an ongoing relationship with Edwards - Any plane coming in with a declared emergency gets sent over to the Edwards AFB runways. They've got crash crews that are far better and bigger than the norm, that have dealt with it before thousands of times.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Rock Star Minion

Lots of room out near Salton Sea. And Area 51.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Gold Line Releases Video Update on Foothill Extension - LAist

Check this out. Videos of the Gold Line all the way to Ontario Airport.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Ontario, Barstow: No, Thanks on DesertXpress Train

DesertXpress, the high-speed train proposed to connect Victorville with Vegas, isn't finding find too many friends. After the city of Barstow and nearby the Helendale Community Services District passed resolutions opposing the DesertXpress because of the economic impacts of the train on their area (the train would likely decrease the amount of drivers stopping in Barstow), the city of Ontario has done the same. The Desert Dispatch reports that Ontario passed a resolution last week opposing the train, which is supposed to travel 184 mph and get people from V'ville to Vegas in 84 minutes. What problem does Ontario--which is not really close to Victorville--have with the DesertXpress?

Ontario is still rooting for a maglev that would connect Anaheim, Ontario, and Vegas--but the "maglev lost its federal funding last year after Nevada Senator Harry Reid switched his support from the maglev train to DesertXpress" and the fact, that federal money for the maglev was moved to a road widening project in Sin City. While Ontario and Barstow say the DesertXpress is a white elephant, a study commissioned by the latter city did find that the train would reduce 33 percent of the car and bus traffic from Southern California into Vegas (much of their business).
    · Ontario Passes Resolution Against DesertXpress [Desert Dispatch]
    · DesertXpress Delayed, Not Dead [Curbed LA]
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 04-05-2011 at 01:09 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Meh.
    Go around Barstow.
    Really, this DesertXpress should set its eyes on Mojave, connecting to whatever North-South HSR gets built.

Metrolink is introducing limited service on the San Bernardino and Antelope Valley Lines May 9th. Travel time between San Bernardino and Los Angeles will be less than one hour, which is still plenty of time for you to feel sorry for all the suckers stuck in traffic.

• Rock Star Minion

I see that Metrolink will start running a late train after Dodger games at 11.
    I can take the Moorpark train at 4:57, get to Union station by 6:20.

Still won't get me to go to a game there, until McCourt is run out of town on a rail.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I see that Metrolink will start running a late train after Dodger games at 11.
    I can take the Moorpark train at 4:57, get to Union station by 6:20.
    All depends if the Orange Line and Red Line stay late enough. It's making it look better and better...
    Still won't get me to go to a game there, until McCourt is run out of town on a rail.
    What, you'd prefer Al Davis? {shudder!}

I love the way Jamie's Post-Nup (a really shaky document as is) wanted her half of the CP to be all the real estate, and nothing to do with the team financially when it was mortgaged to the hilt and underwater - Frank can keep that. But now that it looks like she can get some serious green out of it, she's Co-Owner again. Strange how that works...

I want that "...For richer or poorer, In sickness as in health, Till Death do us part." section signed in blood by both parties. Probably why I'm still a Bachelor.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Rock Star Minion

Orange and Red Lines run late every night.
    Last Orange Line is 12:54AM.
    Last Red Line is 12:17AM, and can make that last Orange Line bus.
    So, just get to Union Station by 12:15AM or so, and you're good to go. No Metrolink required.

The good news is that neither has the money to by out the other, so they might be gone soon. Or, the bad news: they're stuck with each other.

Just got asked to the King game Wednesday. But Dodgers are out of town, so that late train won't run. It would be just a little later than I'd get home, but I could sleep on the train.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Expo Line to begin running test trains to Westside

The first phase of the project, when completed, promises to zip commuters about 8.6 miles from downtown to Culver City in 30 minutes. Originally carrying a price tag of $640 million, the cost has now reached $930.6 million. The entire first phase of the line will go into downtown Culver City near the Kirk Douglas Theatre, but officials say they will only be able to open the line as far as La Cienega Boulevard, just east of Culver City, in the fall, with a target opening date of Nov. 15. They hope to finish the last 0.7 miles early in 2012.

The planned opening of the line has generated great excitement in transportation circles because the Expo Line will move L.A.'s rail network far into the western part of the county. But it remains unclear how popular the line — which will eventually extend all the way to Santa Monica — will actually be.
    Only in America do we build light rail with our fingers crossed about ridership. Everywhere else it opens and they use it!

• Rock Star Minion

I want to know what the parking is like along the line.
    I might want to take it to a Kings game, if I happen to be on that side of town that day.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

BuildExpo » Destinations

Here, they show which stations will have parking.

Now... QUESTION about this thread. When we hit 1,000 posts, will we have to open a thread:

MA33 TRAN3IT TO THE DI3NEYLAND RE3ORT