Page 66 of 116 FirstFirst ... 16566364656667686976 ... LastLast

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Heck, it's already going to break 88 MPH without any fuss or Magic Logs, McFly. All you need to do for excitement is perfect the Flux Capacitor and store up 1.21 Gigawatts from the downhill Dynamic Braking...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Rock Star Minion

For Grapevine, I can envision some kind of fancy counterweight.
    Still, it's pretty curvy, and that slows the train down. I think the Tehachapi route is also curvy.

How much longer could Tehachapi route be, in minutes? An extra 30 minutes, maybe? Is that worth linking to Palmdale Airport and possible HSR to Nevada? Maybe.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You can see where Mike Antonovich used his political weight to get the original line through Palmdale and how budgetary constraints may make that impossible. It's cheaper and faster to go through the Grapevine. But then nothing connects to anything - like the Green Line terminus and the Metrolink Station a mile away in Norwalk. So LA.

• Rock Star Minion

What kind of engineering is required to get a train up that steep grade?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

California gets some high-speed rail funds rejected by Florida

California, Illinois and 13 other states, along with Amtrak, will share $2 billion in federal grants aimed at developing high-speed rail service, money that had been rejected by Florida, officials announced on Monday.

SanBAG, the San Bernardino County transportation-planning agency, just expanded the light-rail project between San Bernardino's city center and the University of Redlands so that a loop is formed and a San Bernardino International Airport station is included.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 05-10-2011 at 02:44 PM.

In addition to the new Metrolink Express train, which connects Los Angeles and San Bernardino in under an hour, Metrolink is adding five other new trains to the San Bernardino Line, one of which is a new late-night train departing L.A. Union Station at 11 p.m.

Metrolink has added sixteen new trains system-wide without having to increase operating costs or raise fares.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Very cool, sir.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    In addition to the new Metrolink Express train, which connects Los Angeles and San Bernardino in under an hour, Metrolink is adding five other new trains to the San Bernardino Line, one of which is a new late-night train departing L.A. Union Station at 11 p.m.

Metrolink has added sixteen new trains system-wide without having to increase operating costs or raise fares.
    FINALLY! Someone is listening to my late-night requests!

That must be some busy line. I think a lot of people are choosing their workplace and homeplace based on the mass transit options.
    I wouldn't live all the way out there if I worked in L.A., but I have financial options that others might not have.

• Rock Star Minion

SanBAG, the San Bernardino County transportation-planning agency, just expanded the light-rail project between San Bernardino's city center and the University of Redlands so that a loop is formed and a San Bernardino International Airport station is included.

I can't see those jpg's.

Went to SANBAG web site, saw some stuff there.
    Then went to SCAG website, found some real interesting (meaning, impossible) things there.
    Last edited by sediment; 05-12-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    FINALLY! Someone is listening to my late-night requests!

That must be some busy line. I think a lot of people are choosing their workplace and homeplace based on the mass transit options.
    I wouldn't live all the way out there if I worked in L.A., but I have financial options that others might not have.
    Have you ever considered that the quality of life may be superior farther away from Los Angeles proper?

Jobs-housing imbalances are being corrected through these transportation improvements, like high-speed rail. Many employers generally need several non-stop flights that are conveniently-accessible.

I can't see those jpg's.
    Light Rail (2013-2015)
    Phased Implementation of the Light-Rail Loop and the Metrolink Extension | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

San Bernardino International Airport
    Flickr: San Bernardino International Airport

• Rock Star Minion

That's weird. Now I can see them in my quote of your post!!

• Rock Star Minion

Have you ever considered that the quality of life may be superior farther away from Los Angeles proper?

Jobs-housing imbalances are being corrected through these transportation improvements, like high-speed rail. Many employers generally need several non-stop flights that are conveniently-accessible.
    It sure is. But in my direction (VC), not toward the IE. Too smoggy, too gangy, too hot, too crowded. Maybe up in the mountains.

And, those imbalances are being corrected in higher housing prices near train stations. Good to be owning before any positive change occurs.

It sure is. But in my direction (VC), not toward the IE. Too smoggy, too gangy, too hot, too crowded. Maybe up in the mountains.

And, those imbalances are being corrected in higher housing prices near train stations. Good to be owning before any positive change occurs.
    Those are gross generalizations and inaccuracies. The Inland Empire was the residence of choice for wealthy Easterners migrating to southern California before the advent of the freeways. And, really, the freeways are the cause of the jobs-housing imbalances, although the western sides of both San Bernardino and Riverside Counties are now more job-rich than even Orange County.

While Riverside and Redlands were the most affluent cities in the entire country during the first half of the last century, cities like San Bernardino County's Chino Hills now have higher median home values than many L.A. County cities, including Beverly Hills. Moreover, the entire Inland Empire region is engaged in a concerted effort to re-establish the rural-to-urban Transect so that the 200-year-old core, with one of the most extensive street grids in southern California, is revitalized through new investments in trains and trams, as well as aviation. So, eventually, the imbalances of the last 50 years will be corrected as more residents discover the area, and its charms, and as more white-collar enterprises, like Redlands-headquartered E.S.R.I., find the same.