Page 67 of 116 FirstFirst ... 174257646566676869707792 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1740

• UnExiled Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

What's inaccurate? It's not too hot? It's not too crowded? It's not too smoggy? Is it the gang thing? Sensitive about that?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Haha funny you guys bring up the Grapevine route being considered again. It was in the local paper up here a couple weeks back and the political people up here are PISSED

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Who, people on the proposed Grapevine route, or people left behind on the Palmdale/14 route?

I suspect the former. NIMBYs!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

A Gift From Florida: 20 Miles

Thanks Florida! The federal government has just given California $300 million for high speed rail, part of the $2 billion that was supposed to go to Florida's bullet train (which the governor turned down). The new money will go toward extending the first segment of the California line 20 miles north, "from Fresno to the 'Y' junction that’ll split off to either San Jose or Merced."
    A Gift From Florida: 20 Miles - Curbed LA

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Who, people on the proposed Grapevine route, or people left behind on the Palmdale/14 route?

I suspect the former. NIMBYs!!!
    Sounds more like the latter, who want HSR through (and stopping in) The Antelope Valley, and don't want to compete with Grapevine route. "Competition" usually means money or giving up land or tax breaks, or something.

And I don't blame them. It's a more cromulent route through Antelope Valley, serving more people, and better able to connect to LV and/or IE routes. (In, say, 100 years or so.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Yeah the people who worked hard for the route to come through here and stop in Palmdale are very upset. I understand that now the Grapevine may be more feasible but by going that route, they'll really loose out on a huge pool of commuters who currently drive or Metrolink down to jobs in the valley or LA.

Starting July 1st Metrolink will start offering $10 weekend passes. It is valid from 7pm Friday to 12 midnight Sunday. It will allow you to ride on any Metrolink train and connect to any regional bus or light rail in Socal. Freaking awesome and about damn time.

Metrolink to offer unlimited $10 weekend pass | abc7.com

• Minion

Down in San Diego MTS is making progress with the trolley renewal project. The first of the 57 ultra-short, low floor, light rail cars will begin to arrive in San Diego later this year from Sacramento. MTS is spending 205.2 million for the new rail cars.

The new cars will be 81 feet in length which is 9 feet shorter then the 11 low floor vehicles MTS already operates on the green line, they are shorter as to not block intersections when the trains are going through downtown and have to stop at red lights.

MTS is also replacing overhead wires, rail, signaling systems, etc with most work being done on the Blue and Orange lines.

All new trains should be in service by 2013 on all 3 lines.

There are also plans to add an 11 mile extension to the trolley from Old Town up to University City area.

Just a little on whats going on down in San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPoint View Post
    Starting July 1st Metrolink will start offering $10 weekend passes. It is valid from 7pm Friday to 12 midnight Sunday. It will allow you to ride on any Metrolink train and connect to any regional bus or light rail in Socal. Freaking awesome and about damn time.

Metrolink to offer unlimited $10 weekend pass | abc7.com
    This is amazing. I love this new Metrolink board. They mean business.

This news is so great that it needs to be published in the general section since I can imagine many more people now taking the train to and from Disneyland.

• UnExiled Minion

Good for one or two people. Any more than that and a car (with one annual parking pass) will be more optimal. Depending on distance and MPG, of course.

When is that last train out of Anaheim on the weekend, again?
    I see 5:26PM to Oceanside, and 3:31PM to Union Station.
    And 5:35PM from Orange Station to San Berdoo.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Good for one or two people. Any more than that and a car (with one annual parking pass) will be more optimal. Depending on distance and MPG, of course.

When is that last train out of Anaheim on the weekend, again?
    I see 5:26PM to Oceanside, and 3:31PM to Union Station.
    And 5:35PM from Orange Station to San Berdoo.
    Providing later and more frequent service depends on increasing ridership. $10 for unlimited travel is such a great deal, I can imagine spending most of my weekends with Metrolink, especially as more car sharing and connecting transportation becomes available at the destination stations.

I can imagine several times in the past when this weekend pass would have come in handy. Being able to stay overnight and to board and re-board trains at will are valuable conveniences.

• UnExiled Minion

Overnight stays would be required. Too bad Monday morning is not included.

Hawking a pass that strands passengers seems to be a very short-term solution to increased ridership.

I'm just asking for a late-night train in each direction. If you schedule it, they will come.

I'd also like a late-night, express bus to the Blue Line, since the Blue, Green, Orange, and Red Lines run late every night.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Before “Subway To The Sea,” There Was “Streetcar In The Sea”: Creating Artificial Reefs Off The Los Angeles Coast In 1959 | Primary Resources

Before “Subway To The Sea,” There Was “Streetcar In The Sea”: Creating Artificial Reefs Off The Los Angeles Coast In 1959

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

LAT: High-Speed Rail Should Follow I-5, Start in LA or SF

The LAT also takes offense at construction starting in the Central Valley, even though the federal government has said construction must start next year if we want to keep its money, and construction closer to LA or San Francisco is a ways off as routing issues (near LA) and lawsuits (near SF) must be dealt with first. Regardless, the paper writes that officials should begin "renegotiating terms with the federal government and building the initial segment in a more populous area, such as between San Francisco and San Jose or between Los Angeles and Anaheim... such renegotiation could jeopardize federal funding and delay construction, but the needless haste created by Washington's arbitrary deadlines have resulted in mistakes that could be extremely costly."
    LAT: High-Speed Rail Should Follow I-5, Start in LA or SF - High-Speed Rail - Curbed LA

• UnExiled Minion

Too bad, LA Times.
    1. Building has to start somewhere soon, building in nowhere has to be done eventually, and building in nowhere can be done soon. Therefore, building in nowhere is optimal to building nowhere.

2. I don't really care which route is finally chosen from Bakersfield to LA. I see nothing wrong with building both, except for the costs. It is a choice that can be delayed without delaying the rest of the project.

3. That said, it's still too expensive. Costs need to be cut 50% or more.

...but the needless haste created by Washington's arbitrary deadlines have resulted in mistakes that could be extremely costly..."
    Not really. Again, that middle part needs to be done in order to connect the two cities. The order of construction isn't that critical, when using reason. (Non-reasons include, "we're better than Middle Of Nowhere, so we should get the first section.") Real reason: The logistics are ready in M.O.N.