Page 7 of 116 FirstFirst ... 45678910173257107 ... LastLast

• UnExiled Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Agreed. I'm just saying there are no plans to deviate the yellow dotted line south towards LAX.
    I had a plan. I guess that doesn't count.

My plan (seen a few times in the dead thread): Straight down the R.o.W. along Culver Blvd to Pershing. South on Pershing, then take a left at World Way, tunneling under to the International Building, where a security stop would be. Then, people stay at International or take a Seattle-/Denver-style train underground to their terminals.

Or, maybe just stop at Pershing and World Way, security there, then underground train. Yellow line could then keep going south to the beach cities. (They won't approve, but that would be nice.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• UnExiled Minion

Extending The 91 to The 405 would be a good idea. There seems to be a clear way, except for an elementary school.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I love that you break out the maps and plan the best route, but you have to learn to show us your ideas in new media, like showing a city map with a colored line on it.

• UnExiled Minion

I love that you break out the maps and plan the best route, but you have to learn to show us your ideas in new media, like showing a city map with a colored line on it.
    Probably. A simple Google overhead shows what appears to be a right-of-way that was snatched up but not used.
    Here.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...07699&t=h&z=14

The end of The 91 on the right, at Harbor. Just south of Artesia Blvd is a strip of land that goes all the way to Yukon Avenue. I'd have it curl southwest before Yukon, and have ramps only from South The 405 or to North The 405.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Transportation officials have been talking for decades about how to ease the commute between the Inland Empire and Orange County.

More than a decade ago, officials opened toll lanes along a portion of the 91 Freeway, offering less congestion for commuters willing to pay the price. The 241 Toll Road, which runs from the 91 into South Orange County, also was designed to improve the commute.

The 91 runs through a narrow canyon amid several mountain ranges, making it hard to build additional freeways between the Inland Empire and Orange County. In recent years, planners have talked about tunneling 11.5 miles through the Cleveland National Forest to build a new route, but those plans are still very much in the conceptual stages.

Orange County transportation officials said the bulk of the 91 widening project, $47.9 million, is being funded with federal stimulus dollars.
    Why not more rail transportation between the Inland Empire and the OC?

• Senior Minion

I agree that it seems strange that this plan doesn't provide a connection to LAX. Not only would it provide service to the airport but it would help add service to Culver City, Venice, Playa Vista and Westchester and some of Inglewood. It would be cool if it eventually connected to the beach cities too. And eventually that line could go to the harbor maybe?

• Senior Minion

Why not more rail transportation between the Inland Empire and the OC?
    I think it's more environmentally friendly to encourage increased density in the city rather than encourage people to move all the way out to the IE. Mass transit is going to be massively more efficient that way.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well the momentum within LA's MTA is going to a north south line called the Crenshaw corridor, which would take LAX passengers south to the Green Line, or north to the Expo line, maybe the Purple line, too. (Purple = Wilshire Subway).

http://www.metro.net/images/Crenshaw...%20(163KB).pdf

A bus line option would span 12 miles with eight stations, providing travel times of about 30 minutes from the Metro Green Line to the Expo Line, or about 40 minutes from the Green line to Wilshire Boulevard/Western Avenue. The project's cost is estimated at about $600 million in current dollars, with the expectation that 3,500 jobs would be created during its construction phase.

A light rail proposal would span more than eight miles with at least seven stations, and an estimated travel time of 20 minutes from the Metro Green Line to the Expo Line. The base cost is estimated at $1.3 billion, with various design options ranging in cost from $11 million to $255 million. The project is estimated to generate about 7,800 jobs.

Funded by Measure R, a half-cent sales tax increase approved by voters in November to fund transportation projects, the Crenshaw Corridor project is designed to provide relief to the San Diego (405) and Harbor (110) freeways.

It would also improve access to Los Angeles International Airport by connecting the Metro Green Line to the south and the Expo Line to the north. A bus line would also connect to the Wilshire Corridor.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas has supported the light rail option, which he believed was more environmentally friendly and efficient.

"For years, these communities have historically been underserved by transit investments, and the project will not only improve local mobility but also will generate jobs directly and indirectly for the entire region," he said in a statement.
    Diaz estimated that the final design and construction process would begin in 2011 and last up to six years, with the system operational by 2018.
    MTA seeking public input on Crenshaw transit plan - The Daily Breeze

• Senior Minion

That's kind of what I thought might be one of the other options. It just still doesn't provide the best service to the west side. To go to the airport you'd have to get on a subway (which may be several miles away from you) then either get off in the Wilshire corridor and take a bus to the light rail and then to the airport. Kind of a pain, I'd just take a cab.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well they own a railroad right of way through that area that they want to put to use. So yeah, the Purple Line will go East West to Santa Monica, the Expo line will go East West to Santa Monica, the Green Line isn't being extended. But a north south Crenshaw line will connect to all three East West lines and have a stop near LAX. Which may require a People Mover.

But you can leave your car behind and chat on your iPhone.

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    That's kind of what I thought might be one of the other options. It just still doesn't provide the best service to the west side. To go to the airport you'd have to get on a subway (which may be several miles away from you) then either get off in the Wilshire corridor and take a bus to the light rail and then to the airport. Kind of a pain, I'd just take a cab.
    Perhaps Lincoln Blvd could be used? I think it has a nice median that might have been used for RedCars.
    In short, anything that gets people to stop driving to LAX. (Makes it easier for me to get there!) Especially short trips that create more frequent clogs at the LAX exits.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

MTA's $300-billion plan -- latimes.com

There is a slight chance the Green Line might be extended to LAX, too.

But Sediment, this is the list that the MTA drew up. If your ideas aren't on the list, they won't happen for the next couple of decades. This is their priority list.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This isn't the MTA's priority list, but it is the mayor's wish list:

● The Westside subway extension (from Wilshire/Western to Downtown Santa Monica).

● The Regional Connector light rail connector in Downtown Los Angeles (will allow Expo, Blue and Gold lines to be interchangeable, meaning a train could eventually run from Long Beach to Montclair, or East LA to Santa Monica, for example. No more transfers from 7th/Metro to Union Station on the Red Line.)

● The Crenshaw corridor transit project (detailed above)

● The Foothill Extension of the Metro Gold Line (from East Pasadena to Montclair, near the San Bernardino County line)

● The Expo light rail line on the Westside Phase 2 (the yellow dashed line described above, from Culver City to Downtown Santa Monica.)

● The Green Line connection to LAX (Not likely???)

● The Green Line extension to the South Bay (Not likely???)

● A San Fernando Valley 405 Corridor Connection (not sure what this is)

● The Orange Line Canoga Extension (running from Chatsworth to the current terminus of the Orange Line busway in Canoga Park).

● West Santa Ana Branch Corridor (I believe this is a rail line to OC line).

● San Fernando Valley North-South Rapidways (more red bus lines)

● Eastside Extension to El Monte or Whittier (will extend the Gold Line from East LA further East).

Curbed LA: Mayor on Rail Projects: We Can Build All Twelve in a Decade

• UnExiled Minion

MTA's $300-billion plan -- latimes.com

There is a slight chance the Green Line might be extended to LAX, too.

But Sediment, this is the list that the MTA drew up. If your ideas aren't on the list, they won't happen for the next couple of decades. This is their priority list.
    LAX needs more than one railed mass transit option. Because people come from every which way to LAX. That's all I'm saying. Not like, for example, Denver, where the new airport in a specific direction from 90% of its passengers, so one rail is all that's needed.
    We've gone over the LAX improvements that call for a PeopleMover-like system that puts the "passenger entrance" to the airport out at Lot C. I'd like that Orange dotted line to go there. I'd like this PM thing to connect to a Green Line stop at Aviation Blvd. Across (north of) The 105 at Aviation, that big empty lot is supposed to become the "Intermodal Transportation Center" (Green Line walkway, Chartered buses, Automated PeopleMover (APM), and Short-Term Parking).
    With this thing in a plan, then my Yellow Line Extension around the West Side of the airport could instead run past the runways, turn east on Imperial Blvd and go straight to this building. It could still do what I want it to do, with the APM extending all the way to the Pershing / World Way intersection.

Page 7 of 116 FirstFirst ... 45678910173257107 ... LastLast