Page 76 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2651667374757677787986101 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1740

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

65 miles. Should take, what, about 20 minutes? Unless there will be five stops inbetween.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So the Federal Government builds the spine, and San Diego and Los Angeles are legs, and San Francisco and Sacramento are arms.

We just need to build Arms and Legs locally. Or ask for more money from Washington.

Why are we complaining that the spine is being built first?

Its the easiest section to build, less community fighting about grade separation, route and so forth. Let the Arms and Legs get themselves together as to what path the HSR will take through their communities while construction begins in the flat farmlands of the Central Valley.

• Rock Star Minion

As I've said numerous times in this and the former thread: It's way too expensive. Cut it to 1/10th of the current cost, and I'd be all over it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

That's easy to say. Prefer I imitate Bewitched and winkle my nose or maybe à la I Dream of Jeanie - I can make that magically happen

• Under that tree again!

Just some related news.

Acela Express is being tested upto 165 MPH in the Northeast Corridor this week, so it may run at 160MPH in some sections.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    That's easy to say. Prefer I imitate Bewitched and winkle my nose or maybe à la I Dream of Jeanie - I can make that magically happen
    OK, let's look at it another way:
    Is there an amount of money that this could cost where you would say, "No, that's too expensive"?

---------- Post added 09-27-2012 at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by joaomendes View Post
    There are lots of money need to increase transportation and for recover that money will be needed to millions of new visitors at the Disneyland Resort. Overcrowding of four wheeler impact the environment so Mass Transit is best option for visitors to Disneyland Resort.
    Agreed.
    But Team Disney Anaheim (or Disney Parks) has decided to offer annual parking passes with Annual Passes for the parks, which encourage Annual Passholders to drive solo instead of with friends.

Clogs up highways, clogs up the air, clogs up the parking lots.

So, they're no help, either.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    OK, let's look at it another way:
    Is there an amount of money that this could cost where you would say, "No, that's too expensive"?

It's a good question, but California real estate is expensive. Construction costs just keep going up and up. So, unless there's a way to acheive the same results for less money, it costs what it costs.

They could go less grandiose with the stations.

• Rock Star Minion

Would you say no if it costs, say, $3 trillion? Just wondering if you have a number in which you would say, no, that's too much.
    You see, my number has already been exceeded. Yours, if it exists, has not. Yet.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

You know, the Golden Gate Bridge and Hoover Dam were REALLY expensive. We didn't really have the money during the Depression. But building it helped lead us out of the Depression and eventually they are priceless. So I don't have a "magic number" but I know this is a very expensive project.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I probably wouldn't build such a massive station without being sure if or when the HSR will connect to Anaheim.

Anaheim transportation center picks up speed

LA Times

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

You know, the Golden Gate Bridge and Hoover Dam were REALLY expensive. We didn't really have the money during the Depression. But building it helped lead us out of the Depression and eventually they are priceless. So I don't have a "magic number" but I know this is a very expensive project.
    Apples and Oranges - the Golden Gate bridge brought in tolls that paid down the costs, and Hoover Dam had a huge business selling the generated electricity as soon as the dam was completed. Even when they only had the first batch of turbines online.

But the CA High Speed Rail Project can only bring in large income WHEN IT'S COMPLETE and running in revenue service - that's normal, see above. Problem is, they are starting the CAHSR in the middle of nowhere where there isn't all that much call for transportation on the route.

If they spend all that money and we only get the first 65 Miles in service and it stops, it really can't make enough money to cover costs. It has to go between large enough population centers and employment centers to make enough ridership and therefore some money.

Los Angeles to Palmdale will make money from commuters - not a ton, but enough to pay salaries while they keep building. Los Angeles to Palmdale to Sacramento will make more, and they keep forging forward. Or San Francisco and start headed south into some of the population centers that direction.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Under that tree again!

I think what is being forgotten is the spending won't only be on building a section of HSR line. It's also upgrade and modernize existing lines. It is intended to have the SoCal and NoCal built up to modern rail feeder systems before HSR connects to them.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Apples and Oranges - the Golden Gate bridge brought in tolls that paid down the costs, and Hoover Dam had a huge business selling the generated electricity as soon as the dam was completed. Even when they only had the first batch of turbines online.

But the CA High Speed Rail Project can only bring in large income WHEN IT'S COMPLETE and running in revenue service - that's normal, see above. Problem is, they are starting the CAHSR in the middle of nowhere where there isn't all that much call for transportation on the route.

If they spend all that money and we only get the first 65 Miles in service and it stops, it really can't make enough money to cover costs. It has to go between large enough population centers and employment centers to make enough ridership and therefore some money.

Los Angeles to Palmdale will make money from commuters - not a ton, but enough to pay salaries while they keep building. Los Angeles to Palmdale to Sacramento will make more, and they keep forging forward. Or San Francisco and start headed south into some of the population centers that direction.

--<< Bruce >>--
    i'd have liked that but the urban sections cost many times over per mile what the rural sections cost, and the Obama administration is offering to build the spine. It's a start, and without a start - the project will never happen at all.

• Under that tree again!

I probably wouldn't build such a massive station without being sure if or when the HSR will connect to Anaheim.

Anaheim transportation center picks up speed

LA Times
    This is a good follow up to that post.

Anaheim considers adding streetcars near Disneyland | anaheim, city, streetcars - News - The Orange County Register

• Rock Star Minion

Extending monorail seems so much easier, and won't cause more traffic.
    Along the power wires, over The 5, then turn south along the rail tracks. Easy.