Page 87 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3762778485868788899097112 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1740

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Keep in mind it's the City of ANAHEIM that's building the streetcar, not the Walt Disney Co.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Keep in mind it's the City of ANAHEIM that's building the streetcar, not the Walt Disney Co.
    In any case, gondola or the being built trolley it would make little difference. Like ART they will probably say Anahiem on them be painted brightly and feature Disney icons.

Disneyland is the icon of Anaheim. More people know of Disneyland than even know of Anaheim, its city. Anaheim has to market Disneyland to get people to spend inside the city it's more effectice than marketing its malls, convention center or sports teams.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

RE-DEVELOPMENT AT LOS ANGELES AIRPORT:

Huge LAX Modernization Plan Moves Ahead But Will Take a While

[LA City Councilmember Bill] Rosendahl wants us to know that the residents fighting the plan are no NIMBYs. They just, as the Daily News puts it, "favor regionalism - or the philosophy of spreading air traffic to other area airports, like Ontario and Burbank." So, you know, other people's backyards.
    Huge LAX Modernization Plan Moves Ahead But Will Take Time - Runway Wars - Curbed LA

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

"The old Los Angeles is fading in the rear view mirror," Villaraigosa said during his eighth and final State of the City address. He will be termed-out June 30.

"The old Los Angeles was a city of smog and gridlock, a city that was under-policed and insecure, a city that had let its schools deteriorate into factories of failure."

Now, at least in part under his direction, he said, "L.A. is on the move."
    Villaraigosa, in city address, notes gains, chides Garcetti and Greuel - latimes.com

• Under that tree again!

The problem is do you want one international airport or 4?

New York has 3 and each needs to expand.

If LA can have one for big planes, and keep the other reqional it may make it more pleasant and safer for everyone. Beside as air traffic grows those planes are coming from over the ocean and leaving that way. We need the infrastructure to get in and out of LAX.

If you live in Inglewood I'm sorry we know it's no good. If you live where I lost my wallet, in El Segundo, you must of lost a bet to live between a giant airport an oil refinery and you beach is covered with sewage plants.

The future air travel will all be at a space port probably be Hemet.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

A Los Angeles primer: the subway (KCET)
    Fun and well-written post by Colin Marshall looks at the phenomenon that many Angelenos have never set foot or tushie upon the subway here — a subway system that Colin thinks is quite pleasant albeit somewhat limited. Excerpt:
    Yet on the whole, those I introduce to our subway emerge impressed. Say what you will about their limited reach; the Red and Purple Lines surely must rank among the cleanest, most comfortable, least urine-smelling systems in America. You may lose twenty minutes waiting on platforms, but you’ll have taken a subway — in Los Angeles! Some transit observers regard this town as a child who, having broken a leg on the playground, started school only after a considerable delay: perhaps he hasn’t caught up with his peers yet, but you should’ve seen how far behind he was a year ago. This sense of Los Angeles in the remedial class intersects with the notion, correct or not, that transportation just works differently here: differently when we didn’t have a subway, and a different kind of subway now that we have one.

Read the whole thing. Colin makes some very cogent points about the region and its attitudes toward transportation and, more specifically, the changing attitudes of some younger residents toward the concept of automobile ownership.
    Metro's The Source | Transportation News & Views

• Rock Star Minion

If the subway takes you exactly (or close enough to) where you want to go, it is pretty darned efficient.
    I've taken it several times this year to LA Kings games from NoHo station. That station is about 38 miles from where I live, but the last 20 miles or so on The 101/110/5/10/405 (I have some choices) is killer. We walk from 7th Street station straight down Figueroa (about 0.6 miles -- silly google maps thinks I want to exit the station on the Flower Street side).

If it doesn't, which is for most Angelenos the norm, then there is no reason to take the subway.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    The future air travel will all be at a space port probably be Hemet.
    Could convert Edwards AFB. HSR connections to LA, SF, and LV. Heck, they could run a line up to Mammoth.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    If the subway takes you exactly (or close enough to) where you want to go, it is pretty darned efficient.
    I've taken it several times this year to LA Kings games from NoHo station. That station is about 38 miles from where I live, but the last 20 miles or so on The 101/110/5/10/405 (I have some choices) is killer. We walk from 7th Street station straight down Figueroa (about 0.6 miles -- silly google maps thinks I want to exit the station on the Flower Street side).

If it doesn't, which is for most Angelenos the norm, then there is no reason to take the subway.
    That was my first experience with the subway, too, going to LA Kings games downtown.

I suppose I should disclose some news, after living for over a year in Paris (and using French metros and trains), I still haven't gotten a car since I returned to Los Angeles several months ago. While I do have access to one when I need it, I have gotten accustomed to riding my bike to the subway every morning and taking it to work in the Valley. I ride the bike for about 10-15 minutes, ride the subway for 10 minutes more, then another bike ride of about 15 minutes. When the weather is nice, I can ride through Griffith Park on my way home and eliminate the subway ride. When it's cold or the timing works, I put my bike on the rack in front of the metro bus and take it with me. It's been an interesting experience, and even as I prepare to buy and insure another vehicle, I'm enjoying the freedom of not having to buy gas or find parking.

• Rock Star Minion

Delay that purchase as long as possible.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

During the week I don't miss it but when we want to get away on the weekend or go see friends...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

PURPLE LINE SUBWAY EXTENSION NEWS:

REGIONAL CONNECTOR NEWS:

(The Purple Line Subway runs beneath Wilshire Blvd. and will be extended first to La Cienega, then Century City, then Westwood Village at the Veterans Admin Complex. The next phase, which is unfunded, would bring the subway to Santa Monica Pier.)

(The Regional Connector is a tunnel going from 7th/Metro to Little Tokyo, for the Blue and Expo lines. These would be joined to the Gold Line, allowing passengers to avoid multiple transfers).

The president's new budget contains $130 million in New Starts funding for the Purple Line subway extension and the Regional Connector tunnel in DTLA. The largesse represents the "first time that both projects will actually receive federal money" and will be split evenly between the connector and the subway extension, which are in pre-construction work and should open in 2020 and 2022, respectively (the last date reflects the subway's first phase to Wilshire and La Cienega).
    http://la.curbed.com/

There’s another reason the money is important. The funds are the first payment for more federal dollars that will flow to both projects in future federal budgets via the federal New Starts program that helps local transit agencies pay for big, pricey transit improvements — such as new rail lines.
    Formal agreements that detail the New Starts money are expected to be signed between Metro and the Federal Transit Administration later this year. The subway will be asking for $2.3 billion in New Starts money and has a budget of $2.4 billion for its first phase to La Cienega Boulevard. The Regional Connector will be asking for $671 million in New Starts money and has a budget of $1.3 billion.

Utility relocations are already underway for both projects and an exploratory shaft is being dug near Fairfax Avenue for the subway. Metro is trying to have construction underway on both projects within the next year with tunneling slated to begin in 2015. Under Metro’s current schedules, the Connector is expected to open in early 2020 and the Purple Line Extension to La Cienega Boulevard in late 2022.
    http://thesource.metro.net/2013/04/1...nal-connector/

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    If Disneyland Resort is connected to a functioning mass transit system, more and more guests will come by train / bus and that will free up Disney's remaining land holdings for hotels and a third theme park, instead of for parking cars.

That said, here are some of the regional projects we are following:

Here Are SoCal's 40 Planned Transportation Projects

Here Are SoCal's 40 Planned Transportation Projects - The Commute - Curbed LA
    My commendations on the complete list of SoCal's transportion projects. A cost estimate for the West Santa Ana Transit Corridor is listed. Too bad it hasn't been budgeted for yet. Wonder if there would be any additional cost factor to terminate it at ARTIC.

I notice that the Anaheim Rapid Connection streetcar is right in the middle of the list..
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I notice that the Anaheim Rapid Connection streetcar is right in the middle of the list..
    Yes, that's # 19.

Plus #20 and #25 sound interesting, I have to admit, I'm not familiar with all 40 projects.

Here Are SoCal's 40 Planned Transportation Projects - The Commute - Curbed LA

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Again, the map of the ARC aka Trolley aka Streetcar:
    http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2012_10_disneystreet-thumb.jpg

On the map of the WEST SANTA ANA route, you can see where the CA HIGH SPEED RAIL route is. HSR does go to ARTIC, but the WSA would probably terminate in Santa Ana:

http://media.metro.net.s3.amazonaws....ta_Ana_Map.gif