Page 9 of 116 FirstFirst ... 6789101112193459109 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit 2 the Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Wonder if there will be an ARTIC subway or high speed rail rout to San Diego. Love that place too...Sea World, the Wildlife Refuge, Catalina, whale watching, the nightlife, etc. etc. etc.
    Without going up to LA and transfering to the other branch, you could take a regular AMTRAK from ARTIC to San Diego, too. As you can now. Only you will have multiple options, notjust AMTRAK and METROLINK but HSR and rapid bus lines and Disney Resort Area transit converging.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    For one reason or another, the HSR maps I've seen have all shown San Diego connected to Los Angeles via a line that goes out to Ontario Airport, not through OC.

Then there's a seperate line from Irvine to Los Angeles. They merge and go north to Modesto area, where it splits again and one line goes over to Gilroy and Santa Clara and San Francisco, while the other goes up to Sacramento.

The CA-NV project is a totally seperate animal. It's not been voter approved like the CA HSR - and althougth not fully funded, the Los Angeles to Anaheim segment will be the first to open.
    Using the Irvine-Sacramento merged lines... the Modesto area is where I would be traveling from and back to. Guess I'd have to skip OC when traveling to San Diego. Maybe they will come up with some sort of route connecting the two. Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense not to.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It must have to do with how fast they can move the trains through the terrain. Or else they want to move more San Diegans to the Ontario Airport instead of LAX?

We have a hidden motive in Southern California of trying to drive away air traffic from the congested urban LAX to the region's other outlying airports.

• Iron-Clad Allie

~

Without going up to LA and transfering to the other branch, you could take a regular AMTRAK from ARTIC to San Diego, too. As you can now. Only you will have multiple options, notjust AMTRAK and METROLINK but HSR and rapid bus lines and Disney Resort Area transit converging.
    Great! SCRAMTRAC (Metrolink, HSR) it shall be! High speed bus lines might be fine too, provided they don't envolve Greyhound slum stations.

• Iron-Clad Allie

It must have to do with how fast they can move the trains through the terrain. Or else they want to move more San Diegans to the Ontario Airport instead of LAX?

We have a hidden motive in Southern California of trying to drive away air traffic from the congested urban LAX to the region's other outlying airports.
    I can see that. San Diegans must constitute a hoard of people. I've never seen the Onterio Airport. Bet it's pretty sophisticated and cool.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The only drawback to Ontario Airport is unwitting travellers expecting to deplane in Toronto.

Well I dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but I'm not going to search through 9 pages of comments...

But with this idea about mass transit to Disneyland.. I think one of the biggest tragedies to come from everyone originally thinking that Disneyland was going to fail, was that either during the initial construction or shortly after the opening... Walt Disney himself wanted to and offered to pay to build a monorail line that would go from LAX straight to Disneyland. So that visitors could fly in from wherever and be taken directly to the Disneyland Hotel.

Man, how freakin' amazing would that have been if they built it? Unfortunately the city officials at the time didn't have much faith in Disneyland's long term survival, so they turned Walt down..

They have something kinda like that now both at WDW and DL, but with buses instead of monorail lines.

But I do hope one day that they have a metro line going from Disneyland and connecting to the LA Metro lines somewhere. Being able to take a short walk or shorter drive to my nearest Metro station and go down to Disneyland early in the morning and not have to drive, and being able to sit and relax and rest on the way home after a long day at the park... that would (and hopefully one day will) be amazing!

Until then, I'll have to work on getting rich so I can get a personal chauffeur to drive me there and back. :-P
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Welcome to the movement. As soon as we check you out and make sure you're not a "V", we'll let you know how you can make it happen!

• Iron-Clad Allie

The only drawback to Ontario Airport is unwitting travellers expecting to deplane in Toronto.
    Oh how funny! I'd give 'em a bad time. Welcome to Toronto. Aye! What do you think of that ne film, The Lone Ranger and Toronto. Aye. You need to move faster or you'll miss your next plane! Proto Toronto! Get the lead out! Aye!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    Well I dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but I'm not going to search through 9 pages of comments...

But with this idea about mass transit to Disneyland.. I think one of the biggest tragedies to come from everyone originally thinking that Disneyland was going to fail, was that either during the initial construction or shortly after the opening... Walt Disney himself wanted to and offered to pay to build a monorail line that would go from LAX straight to Disneyland. So that visitors could fly in from wherever and be taken directly to the Disneyland Hotel.

Man, how freakin' amazing would that have been if they built it? Unfortunately the city officials at the time didn't have much faith in Disneyland's long term survival, so they turned Walt down..

They have something kinda like that now both at WDW and DL, but with buses instead of monorail lines.

But I do hope one day that they have a metro line going from Disneyland and connecting to the LA Metro lines somewhere. Being able to take a short walk or shorter drive to my nearest Metro station and go down to Disneyland early in the morning and not have to drive, and being able to sit and relax and rest on the way home after a long day at the park... that would (and hopefully one day will) be amazing!

Until then, I'll have to work on getting rich so I can get a personal chauffeur to drive me there and back. :-P

Walt's dreams of an expanded monorail system to any destination in California was roadblocked by cities that were afraid of becoming ghost towns for fear that the monorail system would pass them by without stopping. Imagine the sacramento legislators decided whether to side in with Walt or the cities by way of their usual problem solving method...acceptance of payoffs. The cities and Sacramento's dishonesty have kept us living in the past ever since.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-17-2009 at 09:34 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Metrolink should consider lowering fares to bring in new business

Metrolink should consider lowering fares to bring in new business - LA Daily News

• Iron-Clad Allie

Wow! According to your California High-Speed Rail link, it will take only 1hr & 51mins to travel to LA. Bt car, the trip takes a little over 5hrs. In addition to the super station in LA, Sacramento will also have a Grand station. I'm so excited!

Apparently, the laying of track will begin in 2011. This leaves me wondering when the track route from the entral Valley to LA will be complete. I'm also anxious to find out if it will cost less to travel by high speed rail than by an economy plane flight such as Southwest Airline...and if so, how much.

On the other hand if it is quite a bit more affordable, I hope that it won't deminish the profit linesof airlines to too high of a degree. Still, I'm looking forward to being able to travel to LA, Anaheim and San Diego frequently!

The Image Gallery link is a blast! The LA ARTIC Station looks awesome... so does the Anaheim station. In the Bay Area, I enjoyed watching the speed rail leave BART in the dust! hee hee These links are a great find, CA!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-17-2009 at 10:23 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I've ridden the TGV trains in France and woosh! we're here! It goes by almost too fast, you can't wait to ride it again.

http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/map.htm Here's the fare calculator link, you'll love that. Even if it's not cheaper than air travel, it's probably more convenient than taking off your shoes and getting to the airport two hours early to go through security.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 11-18-2009 at 10:35 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I've ridden the TGV trains in France and woosh! we're here! It goes by almost too fast, you can't wait to ride it again.

California High Speed Rail Authority Interactive Map Here's the fare calculator link, you'll love that. Even if it's not cheaper than air travel, it's probably more convenient than taking off your shoes and getting to the airport two hours early to go through security.

You sure are adept in finding all of these awesome links, CA! I used the site calculater which determind that the trip from my valley loading station to Anaheim would be a distance of 378 miles, take 2 hrs. and 09 mins, and cost an estimated $49.00. This appears to be a better rate that air, automobile, and probably less than AMTRK.

If the rate were similar to that of air, you are spot on CA in your assertion that it would still be far more convinient to travel by train. Lots of people don't like flying. Am happy that air will not be dramatically out-competed, though. I'm beside myself anxious for the high speed system to be built.