Driving Directions??

My family and I will be traveling to Disneyland in June. We will be coming from Northern California and usually go hwy 101 to 46 to 5 when we go to Disneyland. I anticipate that we will be going over the grapevine and entering Santa Clarita probably between 5-7pm and I don't want to get stuck in traffic like we usually do.

My question is: Is there a quicker route to avoid all the highway interchanges and traffic?

Thanks,

• Ludicrous speed! Go!

Re: Driving Directions??

"101" takes forever just take "5" all the way down till "210 east" then take "57 south Orange Fwy" and either exit E. Ball St. or E. Katella Ave. heading west till you come to S. Harbor Blvd. I'm coming from San Jose and once made the mistake of taking 5 all the way, it added 2-hours to the trip.

Thanks, I'm coming from Santa Cruz, so pretty much the same area. All suggestions are great!!

• Down Pluto!

Isn't that about 20 miles and more than 20 minutes longer? I've arrived about 7 PM and it wasn't more than 40 minutes from Griffith Park to DL.
    Last edited by Sambo; 02-22-2010 at 03:41 PM.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Isn't that about 20 miles and more than 20 minutes longer? I've arrived about 7 PM and it wasn't more than 40 minutes from Griffith Park to DL.
    It's a crapshoot when you take the 5, some days you're flying and on other (most) days you're stuck under the crush wanting to commit hari kari to end your suffering. The 210 is notorious for being pretty empty and the 57 south is mostly free with some patches of traffic usually around the 10, 60 and 91 onramps depending on the time of day. Miles-wise you're taking an unnecessary swing with the 210 but you save about an hour getting to the park.

• Rock Star Minion

Leave sooner, or leave later. Or stop and get a bite to eat. I think you should not arrive at The 5 / The 210 interchange after 3PM and before 6:30PM.

Failing that, Alternative #4b), subparagraph (ii) :
    1. East on The 210.
    2. Stay in left lanes of The 210 as it ends and drops you onto the streets of Pasadena.
    3. At light at offramp, go straight through onto S Saint John Avenue.
    4. Saint John Avenue will merge into Pasadena Avenue.
    5. At Columbia Street, Pasadena Avenue appears to end. Take left on Columbia and then an immmediate right onto Fremont Street.
    6. Stay on Fremont Street all the way to Valley Rd. Right on Valley Road.
    7. Left onto The 710 South.
    8. Stay in left lanes of The 710 and take offramp to The 5 South.
    9. You know the rest of the way.

Now, this route is really good for hitting a nice restaurant in "old Town" Pasadena for dinner. This route doesn't add too many miles, but the street traffic could be just as bad as freeway traffic. Especially at Rushes Hours (both plural, because there is a lot.)

Extremely important tip that I always suggest: Have someone available in front of a PC logged onto the internet at sigalert.com that you can call to keep you abreast of any traffic issues. There are perhaps 10+ different combinations of freeways you can take from the intersection of The 5 / The 210. Only one might be unclogged at any given time.

In June, the Dodgers could be at home, and that clogs up The 5 between 5PM and 7PM (if a night game).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Ahem.... you're welcome.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Thank you so much to all who have replied. I will definately try these routes in the future!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    That all depends on traffic. I always go the 5...on good days I'm at DL in 1 1/2 hours from Palmdale....then there are days that take us 4+ hours.....it all depends on traffic.