Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Getting to the beach.

I know that getting to Magic Mountain can be super difficult from Disneyland, but a friend who is having me plan his Disneyland trip is not as pure-bread as I am and wants to spend a day or two at one of California's famous beaches. So my question is, are there any easy ways to get to any notable beach from Disneyland on transit? (they don't have a vehicle).
    Last edited by Trevor; 02-23-2010 at 01:03 PM.

• no flash photography...

Re: Getting to the beach.

yes, all of them..it depends on how far you/he wants to drive...Huntington my be the closest though. Unfortunately I don't have directions. I think you just head down harbor. I depend on GPS.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Oh ya. The kicker is they don't have a car.

• Circle of Ancients

According to Google:

From Disneyland to Huntington Beach:

Bus 50 (pick up on Harbor and Katella) to Katella and Beach
    Bus 29 (pick up on Katella and Beach) to PCH

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Yea, I saw that. I was hoping for some local conformation haha. Ever since my family got stranded at Knott's after the busses stopped running at 9, I'm a bit sketchy about the transportation in SoCal.

• Rock Star Minion

"Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

So it looks like I know all I need to about the busses, is there anything I should know about the beaches?

• Circle of Ancients

Do the "Stingray Shuffle".

Trust me, getting stung doesn't feel good.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    So it looks like I know all I need to about the busses, is there anything I should know about the beaches?
    What are you or your friend expecting from the beach experience? Most SoCal'ers just sit and read or get a tan or play some volleyball or fly kites or cook burgers or 'dogs or surf. But I'm not sure what a tourist wants to do. We're usually trying to get out of the inland heat.

Huntington (directions in post #4) has a separate bike path that can be used for skating or biking or walking. (I think there is a separate walking path, too.) Skates and bikes are available for rent. Bring your own shos or sandals for walking, though. You can google map and see that the path is about 10 miles long (?).
    Mostly, you'll see how the better half lives, in fancy houses in Newport Harbor or Balboa Island or right on the peninsula.
    Some of those are for rent. Your friend could consider renting a house (with others if there are others) and taking the bus up to Disneyland.

Note: Bus 43 (south down Harbor) takes you as far as the unusually-named "Triangle Square." Bus 71 will take you to Newport Pier as well as "Fun Zone."

If you rent bikes, you can go all the way north to Seal beach, which is (was?) a pleasant old-style beach town.
    Last edited by sediment; 02-23-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I would assume they intend to tan and swim. I guess

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Newport and Huntington time-wise are about the same distance fromthe DLR.

My preference is Newport Beach. I think it's a little cleaner and if you go near the Newport Pier or the Balboa Pier there are a lot of restaurants, shops, and attractions within walking ditance. (near the Balboa pier there is a ferry ride and a carousel. And you can take a ride on the ferry or take a cruise of Newport Harbor and go see the Sea Lions).

A little further south is Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach, and the shoreline becomes rocky. But the nice thing there are the tidepools where you can look at the various forms of marine life.

By car all of these destinations are roughly 20-25 minutes away. Busses take considerably longer.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Newport and Huntington time-wise are about the same distance fromthe DLR.

My preference is Newport Beach. I think it's a little cleaner and if you go near the Newport Pier or the Balboa Pier there are a lot of restaurants, shops, and attractions within walking ditance. (near the Balboa pier there is a ferry ride and a carousel. And you can take a ride on the ferry or take a cruise of Newport Harbor and go see the Sea Lions).

A little further south is Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach, and the shoreline becomes rocky. But the nice thing there are the tidepools where you can look at the various forms of marine life.

By car all of these destinations are roughly 20-25 minutes away. Busses take considerably longer.
    This is good advice. Renting bikes and riding along the strand is nice. Have some lunch...play in the water a bit. (its cold)
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post

I would stay far from the water. The water is very polluted especially after it rains. I got very sick from swimming at the beach once. Well, not really swimming...more like standing when I very large wave came splashed right in the face.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I would stay far from the water. The water is very polluted especially after it rains. I got very sick from swimming at the beach once. Well, not really swimming...more like standing when I very large wave came splashed right in the face.
    I agree. This water is pretty bad. Go to Maui for some nice warm and clear ocean water. You'd have to go up the coast a bit (north of Ventura or Santa Barbara) for some cleaner water.
    Surfrider or someone grades beaches for pollution.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

For their swimming fix, would Knott's water park be worth it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast