Traffic along the 5?

So, I live in Northridge. Since I've got my AP in September, I've been traveling to Disney via the I-405 to the 101 to the 5. As you may know, on a weekday morning, that's a lotta traffic and makes it into a 2-hour trip versus a 50-minute one. We discovered that I'm not too far from the CA-118 (which is seemingly never congested), and that takes me directly to the 5. Whenever I finally make it onto the 5, barring an unforeseen accident ahead, usually it's little to no traffic. Of course, this is only a small stretch of the freeway.

I'm planning on heading down on Thursday at around 8 AM to make it there nice and early (you can guess why), and I was thinking about trying this route, and, yes I will be with a friend, so I'll be able to handle carpool lanes (which the 101 lacks). Is this a smarter way to travel or am I just wasting my time and will be up to my knees in the same kind of traffic?

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Traffic along the 5?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    So, I live in Northridge. Since I've got my AP in September, I've been traveling to Disney via the I-405 to the 101 to the 5. As you may know, on a weekday morning, that's a lotta traffic and makes it into a 2-hour trip versus a 50-minute one. We discovered that I'm not too far from the CA-118 (which is seemingly never congested), and that takes me directly to the 5. Whenever I finally make it onto the 5, barring an unforeseen accident ahead, usually it's little to no traffic. Of course, this is only a small stretch of the freeway.

I'm planning on heading down on Thursday at around 8 AM to make it there nice and early (you can guess why), and I was thinking about trying this route, and, yes I will be with a friend, so I'll be able to handle carpool lanes (which the 101 lacks). Is this a smarter way to travel or am I just wasting my time and will be up to my knees in the same kind of traffic?
    The 118 to The 5 is how you should always have been going.

As I wrote in the other thread in this forum, there is one other alternative:
    The 118 to The 210, off The 210, through Pasadena's and Alhambra's streets, to The 710 to The 5.

You get about 5 miles worth of carpool lanes on The 118. The 210 is usually completely clear of traffic until Pasadena. Just stay to the left and when the "spur" ends, take to the streets.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Cool! How's the traffic, decent?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Cool! How's the traffic, decent?
    The time in your first post is ambiguous: do you want to arrive at DL at 8AM or do you plan to leave Northridge at 8AM. If the former, you can leave at about 6:30 and get there by 7:30AM. Probably a little earlier. But leaving at 8AM, you'll get there at about 10AM doing my way or 118-5.
    Actually my 118-5 would be 118-5-10-710-5. I just hate all that merging on The 5.

Suggestion: leave at 6AM, get there at 7AM, take a nap in the car for about half an hour. Go to gate refreshed.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, the best way I've found is the 101 all the way to downtown then take the 710 to the 91 to the 5. Especially if you are a carpool, once you get on the 91 it's carpool all the way.

It will add about 5-7 miles to your trip, but you will save at least 30 minutes over the 5. The ONLY time I generally take the 5 is early on a Saturday or Sunday morning. And even then it's kind of hit and miss.

• Always Happy<3

I live in Glendale and used to take the 5 and traffic was always a pain for me there. Recently i started taking the 134 to the 210 to the 605 to the 5 and im there in 30-40 minutes
    Always let your conscience be your guide.
    -Pinocchio

Used the 5 route. Left @ 8, arrived around 9:20, not bad over the other route (2 hours)