•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Any good Hollywood tours that pick up near Disneyland?

I am coming down to Disneyland next week, and I would like to take a day and get on one of those bus guided tours that takes you to all the famous LA and Hollywood sites, like the Chinese Theater, and all that. Can anyone recommend a good tour service that picks up in the Disneyland area?

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Re: Any good Hollywood tours that pick up near Disneyland?

I had a day where my planned private tour was cancelled and they organised for me to take the standard SoCal Gray Line "Grand Tour of LA". I was disappointed as I'd been on such a tour before back in '95 and then some since. But I went as they generously got me a ticket at half the going rate and I had "nothing better to do" (my feet were too sore from walking around Disneyland for over a week and needed a rest).

After the collector bus dropped us off at the terminal I was having doubts. The place was in very bad repair. Every surface (floor, walls, ceiling) needed work. The collector buses had been busy and dropped a few hundred people off at the same time. The queue was out the door and across the bus park.

But thankfully they were organised, it didn't take long and I was on our bus, heading up the 5.

For someone who hadn't been on a similar tour before I'd say this would be great. Even though I'd been to every location we stopped before, it was still an enjoyable tour as the driver "made it". Anyone else who gets him for a driver is in for a good time. He's an entertainment on his own. His first name was Dave, but I forget his last (sorry!) but you don't get to choose drivers, anyway.

Dave was a wealth of information about greater LA. There were a couple of places he pointed out that I hadn't been to since the mid '90s -- anyone remember when the "lighthouse" down the Southern side of Marina Del Ray on Fiji Way used to be a shopping center for the tourists? I'd forgotten about that place. Dave pointed it out as one of LA's lesser known curiosities as we passed. It was little bits of colour like this as well as the more famous landmarks, that made our tour more personal and interesting.

Anyway, even though their terminal looks like a warzone, and the queue seemed crazy at first. The service they provided was really good for a first look at LA, and even at full price, well worth it.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.