View Poll Results: Stay at which DLR hotel?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cheaper, stay at Paradise Pier

5 33.33%
  • Splurge and stay at Grand Californian

7 46.67%
  • Stay at Disneyland Hotel

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Talking Should I stay at the Paradise Pier or Grand Californian??

Okay so I'm actually going to stay on-property for the first time. I've always wanted to try it, at least once anyway. With my AP discount it tempted me too much especially over a holiday wknd. I actually booked at Paradise Pier but would love to stay at the Grand Californian, but it's $300.00 more in total. I know the "Grand" is the closest of the resorts, but is it really that far of a walk from the "Pier"? I've read mixed things about it on here and on tripadvisor.

Isn't there still a private entrance from the "Pier" to the "Grand" where you walk across the street and down a side path into the "Grand"? Or is that closed off because of construction or the villa expansion??

I did also consider the Disneyland Hotel so I could hop on the monorail into the park. But I read mixed reviews their also with the construction going on and the noise from that, and the fact that it's dated unless you get into one of the newly refurbished rooms.

Just trying to weigh all my options and make the better choice. I'll be staying at one of the properties for sure.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Paradise Pier or Grand Californian??

There's no longer a secret entrance for Paradise Pier to DCA but the walk isn't bad at all. You can either walk across the street to Grand Californian and enter Downtown Disney that way, or you can walk to the Disneyland Hotel and start at Downtown Disney from the back.

$300 is a lot of money and I would normally tell people to go to Grand Californian if they can, but I don't know your situation. If you're strapped for cash or wanted to invest in something you need, just stay at Paradise Pier.

You could always buy a really cool collectible for $300 to take home or wine it and dine it! $300 would probably cover a meal at the Napa Rose.

Or you can splurge and be closer and stay at the fancier hotel.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   

Re: Paradise Pier or Grand Californian??

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    There's no longer a secret entrance for Paradise Pier to DCA but the walk isn't bad at all. You can either walk across the street to Grand Californian and enter Downtown Disney that way, or you can walk to the Disneyland Hotel and start at Downtown Disney from the back.

$300 is a lot of money and I would normally tell people to go to Grand Californian if they can, but I don't know your situation. If you're strapped for cash or wanted to invest in something you need, just stay at Paradise Pier.

You could always buy a really cool collectible for $300 to take home or wine it and dine it! $300 would probably cover a meal at the Napa Rose.

Or you can splurge and be closer and stay at the fancier hotel.
    Ahh that's a bummer that the secret entrance is gone. No I'm not necessarily strapped for cash, money isn't too much of an issue but it does make me think that the $300 difference can be used towards something else like you said or better yet use it towards another trip and stay on-site again. I'm actually thinking of doing another trip in the summer or in the fall and surprise my best friend and stay on-site again.

Re: Should I stay at the Paradise Pier or Grand Californian??

The walk from Paradise Pier is not bad at all and we had a really great experience at the PP. It was very nice in fact we will stay there again this Christmas. I originally booked at the DH but changed my reservation yesterday due to the construction. I think I will wait to experience DH when all renovations are complete. I would hate to have a bad experience due to construction noise, dust ect....
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Stay at PP for your first on site experience. No sense starting at the creme d'la creme, lest you be funding your future stays there from now on. Once you experience GCH you won't want to do either of the others DL or PP.

Don't bother with DL hotel until the refurb is done. Too much noise/clutter.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Hukuna Matata!

How many days total will you be staying in the hotel?

•   

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    Stay at PP for your first on site experience. No sense starting at the creme d'la creme, lest you be funding your future stays there from now on. Once you experience GCH you won't want to do either of the others DL or PP.

Don't bother with DL hotel until the refurb is done. Too much noise/clutter.
    Thanks for that tip, never thought of that. I guess it would be like the feeling of starting at the top and not wanting to go backwards after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    How many days total will you be staying in the hotel?
    Only 2 or 3 days. My trip is planned for Memorial day wknd. I'll probably go again during the summer and if not definitely again by the fall.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I actually really like the "beachy" feel over at PP. For me, I don't spend much time at the hotels anyway, so the only big plus at the Grand would be the closer location. Otherwise, there's no sense in spending the $$ as long as you don't have your heart set on the "best." Besides, you can still eat at Napa Rose or visit the Hearthstone while you stay at PP.

You'll have fun either way!
    <o>

• Disney Fan & Musician

I haven't stayed at the PP, but the Grand Californian is very nice. It is pricy, but it's nice to experience.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Hukuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    Thanks for that tip, never thought of that. I guess it would be like the feeling of starting at the top and not wanting to go backwards after that.

Only 2 or 3 days. My trip is planned for Memorial day wknd. I'll probably go again during the summer and if not definitely again by the fall.

If your going to be there three days then I would consider the GCH, I mean there are times the room reaches 800 per night and beyond, If its only 300 for three days then I would jump all over it.

• Rock Star Minion

Is this your last trip ever to Disneyland? If so, I'll advise you. If not, then try them all at least once in your lifetime. Or don't, and save a lot of money staying off-property.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    If your going to be there three days then I would consider the GCH, I mean there are times the room reaches 800 per night and beyond, If its only 300 for three days then I would jump all over it.
    U crack me up Josh, "I would jump all over it". Trust me the temptation is there. I've looked around prices and see that I can get the same deal at other times this summer and into fall and if I don't do GCH this time then I could come back next time and stay there.

Has anyone done the concierge level at PP? It's $66 more a night. Is the food good? Is it just snacks? I read some have said you get mini-sandwichs during the lunch/dinner time. What do you get for breakfast? I know you get water and sodas during the day, I'm assuming both are bottled or is it just the water is bottled? Can 3 adults eat $66 bucks worth of food there each day?? Is it set hours for breakfast and lunch to go eat? So also considering this route too.

Thanks to everyone's input so far. I just love Mice Chat!!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Is this your last trip ever to Disneyland? If so, I'll advise you. If not, then try them all at least once in your lifetime. Or don't, and save a lot of money staying off-property.
    LOL.....last trip?? I don't plan on it being that way, but if I die I guess it would be. Sorry that just literally made me laugh. I try to get to the parks a few times a year for a few days at a time, longer if I'm able to. It's usually vacation time that inhibits me not so much the money. Anyway, I've heard a number of good things about staying on-site and I've always wanted to do it. Not to mention the convenience of it all. I mean no parking issues for one.

I usually stay off-site and have bid my hotel through Priceline and won them in the $50 range or less each time. And have always won the Crowne Plaza, Marriott or Hyatt each time. So yeah I hear ya about being able to save a lot of money.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    LOL.....last trip?? I don't plan on it being that way, but if I die I guess it would be. Sorry that just literally made me laugh. I try to get to the parks a few times a year for a few days at a time, longer if I'm able to. It's usually vacation time that inhibits me not so much the money. Anyway, I've heard a number of good things about staying on-site and I've always wanted to do it. Not to mention the convenience of it all. I mean no parking issues for one.

I usually stay off-site and have bid my hotel through Priceline and won them in the $50 range or less each time. And have always won the Crowne Plaza, Marriott or Hyatt each time. So yeah I hear ya about being able to save a lot of money.
    Not sure if parking is explicitly included in your hotel bill or if it is simply part of the jacked-up price. but it's in there somewhere. The convenience of not going to M&F structure everyday is a plus.
    So, it is likely the one and only time that you'll choose to stay on property (assuming no lottery win or huge inheritance on the horizon)? OK, then I'll give you some advice:
    1. The walk from any of them is not prohibitive.
    2. You like fancier hotels, I see (Hyatt, Marriott). These are all fancy enough. Price is just so much higher than you could get on Priceline, though. These fancier hotels usually are on the ART shuttle or have their own, right? So, parking at the M&F is again not a problem.
    3. Just find the cheapest. The Grand has a wonderful lobby and restaurants that anyone can enjoy. Room is for sleeping in after a long day. One way to get the cheapest is to book one, then keep calling every couple days to see if there is a special lower rate.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   

Not sure if parking is explicitly included in your hotel bill
    Nope it's part of the resort fee $12

So, it is likely the one and only time that you'll choose to stay on property (assuming no lottery win or huge inheritance on the horizon)?
    Not necessarily, if I enjoy it and if I can get a good deal again like this time, then I'll stay on-site again, just not every time I visit.

One way to get the cheapest is to book one, then keep calling every couple days to see if there is a special lower rate.
    Thanks for that tip, I'll definitely do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast