Simple Q: Upgrading simple park ticket to an Annual Pass

Please forgive me as I know this has been covered before. I did try different search terms, but couldn't find the previous thread(s).

Here's my simple question:

I am planning a trip to Disneyland the first week of May and am thinking of buying a Deluxe Annual Pass. I can't do a So Cal Pass, and know that I don't want to pony up for a Premier since I usually am unable (and want to avoid) visiting during blackout times anyway.

If I go the first weekend of May, that Saturday is a blockout date...so I was thinking of trying a trick I had read about here--buying a single day ticket on the blackout day and then "upgrading" to an Annual Pass that day while in the parks. If I understand correctly, as long as I do it that day while there, they will prorate the full cost of the single day ticket towards the cost of an Annual Pass. Is this right?

Actually, what I'm thinking of doing is buying a 3-day ticket online, so that I could go on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and then convert to an Annual Pass on that Sunday. *If* I am right, then I would be able to apply the full cost of the three day ticket towards an Annual Pass....(or would they somehow prorate??). I assume the Annual Pass would then retroactively be dated to that Friday as the first day of the pass, but that would be fine.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Re: Simple Q: Upgrading simple park ticket to an Annual Pass

My wife and I did the same thing last year. You are right in your assumptions. They will apply the full price of the ticket, or park hopper towards an upgrade. The annual pass is dated back to the first day of your visit. But this way you can go on a blockout day.

Thanks for the reply! It's nice to hear from someone who has actually done this

I realized another advantage of going this route is that the 3 day ticket comes with an Early Magic Morning (or whatever that is called!). Cool!

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
    My wife and I did the same thing last year. You are right in your assumptions. They will apply the full price of the ticket, or park hopper towards an upgrade. The annual pass is dated back to the first day of your visit. But this way you can go on a blockout day.

Oh! One more followup question....when upgrading to the Annual Pass, do you go directly to the Annual Passport office, or do you first have to go to the ticket booth to pay for the upgrade there?

Thanks!

• socal native

I think you can go to both, but the AP center will be your best bet to take care of it. They can handle all payments there. I have heard that some people have problems at the booths, while others don't. Once you are in the park just go there. One suggestion would be to not go at the very end of the day before closing. It is often swamped with people upgrading at the last minute, and the wait time can be considerable.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by elsa View Post
    I think you can go to both, but the AP center will be your best bet to take care of it. They can handle all payments there. I have heard that some people have problems at the booths, while others don't. Once you are in the park just go there. One suggestion would be to not go at the very end of the day before closing. It is often swamped with people upgrading at the last minute, and the wait time can be considerable.
    Upgrade at the AP Center. Faster and easier. If you are going to DCA, do it there. NEVER a line! Its inside the Greeting Store just after you enter the park on your left.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Two other considerations: a deluxe with parking is only $61 less than a premium which includes parking. I was going to get the deluxe, but then I did the math and realized that I was better off with the premium. After a few trips, I've already made up the $61 difference with the discounts. Of course, I collect pins so it adds up fast; you'll have to do your own math to figure out which pass is better for you.

Secondly, you should consider if it is worth waiting for the last day to upgrade knowing that you'll be missing out on two days worth of discounts.

Thanks all for the additional info. I'm glad to hear I can go directly to the processing center to upgrade. I'll likely try to hit the DCA location in mid-day to best avoid lines

Thanks for the advice to consider the Premium Pass too. It's good advice, but in my case I know the Deluxe is the way to go. The discount would be nice, but I don't tend to buy that much that it would make much of a difference

Thanks all!

Dan

bumping cuz I am interested also. We are coming down in Sept/Oct again and this time are debating to upgrade to DAP, now that kids are getting older/easier to bring to the park for quick getaways vs. one trip/year. Curious which would be best ie: why not just buy the DAP outright?
    We will most likely buy the 3dayPH (deal for +2days = 5dayPH), so the DAP price will be minus the 3dayPH I paid. (correct?)
    SO, what are advantages to upgrading at park vs. purchasing DAP now???
    I am pretty sure on the obvious like MM...
    We don't need parking and usually always stay off-site.
    Thanks!

soooo how does this work with a Nor Cal resident?
    like i just bought a 5 day hopper for June. I can upgrade that
    to a pass for a fee right? I know so cal and nor cal is different.
    FML
    Love meeting new fellow Disney fanatics! Facebook Me: Michael Van Anthony Jr

here is the web page from the Disneyland site:

Annual Passport Terms & Conditions

this is the part that covers upgrades:

UPGRADES: A guest wishing to upgrade to an Annual Passport from another form of theme park admission media must upgrade on the same day in which the original form of theme park admission media is valid. If an upgrade to an Annual Passport is made from a multi-day ticket, the Annual Passport will be backdated to begin on the first day that the multi day ticket was used. A guest who chooses to upgrade to an Annual Passport from another form of theme park admission media must choose an Annual Passport of equal or greater value than the original theme park admission media retail price. Each guest wishing to upgrade his/her ticket media to an Annual Passport must be present at the time of the upgrade transaction. Fully used ticket media and complimentary ticket media (except for certain promotional tickets) may not be upgraded to an Annual Passport.
    Last edited by gary94080; 05-04-2010 at 11:25 PM.