Moving Questions for SoCal Locals...

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here we go.

My wife and I live in Arizona and do not like it at all. We want to move to Southern California. Yes, we are looking forward to our discounted annual passes, but we don't need to be too close to the magic kingdom. Probably within an hour or so. We are a little overwhelmed by all of the cities to choose from and would appreciate a nudge in the right direction. What cities do you guys like and why? We've heard good things about living in Garden Grove...

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Re: Moving Questions for SoCal Locals...

My wife and I absolutely love Downtown Long Beach. It's an apartment/condo area with bad parking but the neighborhood completely makes up for it. Look around Belmont Shore and it's surrounding areas. Great restaurants and bars, east village has a huge art district, 4th street offers vintage shopping. Your also close enough to other cites to make it work.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Forgot to mention, being gay friendly is a big part of our area. Broadway is the center of the rainbow distric and LB also hosts a huge Pride festival in May. Adds to the neighborhood greatly.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Newport Beach/Costa Mesa/Irvine is a nice area in that it is close to the beach yet also "20 minutes away from everything". Meaning that it is a good central area to live in order to enjoy all the attractions in OC/DL and LA. Although it will take around 45 minutes (with no traffic) to get to downtown LA.

Drawbacks are this area can be pricey but Costa Mesa is more affordable. Plusses would be lots of shopping, the performing arts center, and if in Irvine the Irvine School District is one of the top school districts in the state.

• Hukuna Matata!

My Fiance and I will also be departing Arizona Eventually, We have some time to go, but since I was a child I have always wanted to Move to Southern California, As luck would have it she has as well, I love the atmosphere, I love the weather, I just love everything about it. Im sure you have also heard about the negative things about Living in Southern California, Like the Cost of living, The overcrowdedness, the big quake that is coming, But really I will never let that get me down, Eventually we will be close to the beach, and the cool air of the coast.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

You don't want to be too close in, Downtown LA and the Westside and most of the Beach Communities have horrible traffic and parking problems - parking meters and paid parking only lots everywhere. You have to factor in the $3 to $10 it cost to park into the price of the goods you just bought.

And the business 'Free Parking For Customers Only' lots have Cappers watching you walk out of the lot to the wrong business and calling to tow away non-customer cars for a $20 to $50 reward - and it'll run you $300 minimum to get your car back from the tow yard. (Minus the electronic goodies they find inside - "We have no idea where those went...") You have to really study the signs as to which business owns that lot - and if you go from one business to the next you'd better go move your car.

Earthquake is a given for the region, the only thing you can do is use due diligence to make sure your house has been properly bolted to the foundation and retrofitted where necessary. And isn't built on fill dirt or sandy soil without a properly over-sized foundation to compensate. And not on the side of a hill on fill dirt, or you could go House Surfing to the next town downhill in the Big One...

Micro-climate is something to ask about around the area before you choose. Certain areas get a lot hotter, or windier, or wetter than the average - on the ocean side of the hill will catch more rain than the leeward side. The West San Fernando Valley gets a lot hotter than the surrounding areas, because the bowl tends to trap the heat.

Floods aren't a huge concern as long as you aren't in the river basin itself.

Fires, don't be too close to the "wilderness interface" areas with open brushland at your back fence, don't have a shake shingle roof or siding (there are still a few fools around that insist they're better...) and you should be fine.

In other words, use Common Sense liberally and take your time to really analyze the area before you sign ze papers. Get a room nearby and spend a few days soaking it in wouldn't be too extreme.

The Realtor might insist they show you the house on a weekday because they know the neighbors throw wild parties most every weekend night - and they don't want YOU to find out till after the ink is dry...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1