Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solo Trip Advice

Hey - I'm somewhat new around here. Been a member for a while but am usually a lurker. But going to start trying to post some more from here on out. You guys were a lot of help last summer when planning a trip for me and my friends down to the parks.

I recently realized I have a discount on Alaska Air that expires in August and my summer is pretty much already booked with no real good time to take a trip except for towards the end of May before Memorial Day. I decided it's time to head back to the parks. But one problem, all of my friends and family are busy and can't go. Well, there is a possibility of one friend being able to go, but I'm not really holding my breath.

I'm pretty sure I'm okay with the idea of going alone. I've read a few past threads about solo trips and they were full of great advice. But I had a few lingering questions. And they're probably pretty silly - just nerves getting the better of me.

My main concerns are about lines and food. Is it at all awkward waiting in line by yourself or eating by yourself? Any tips? I'm not really one to take my iPod - I don't get to go to the parks too often and I want to soak up as much as possible.

Right now I'm looking at taking a trip that will allow me 2 days at the parks and 1 day to see Orange County. I lived there for a year when I was 13 and want to go to places I used to go to - like Seal Beach and Irvine. I'm 25 now and would actually love to move back down there soon. So maybe this solo trip can be a test run! Do you think 2 days is enough for a solo trip? Should I spring for the 3 day?

Thanks in advance for your advice! It's not a for sure trip yet - but I'm really hoping it becomes one!

If I happen to be there on a Sunday, what are the meet ups like? Is it okay for a total newbie to go?

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Solo Trip Advice

Solo trips are really nice...there's a lot to be said for taking things at your own pace and not worrying about what anyone else feels like doing. You'll notice more details and have a great time. You'll also be able to use the solo rider queue on some attractions.
    A lot of people wait in lines by themselves, even if they're with a large group. I see people eating alone fairly often, I think a lot of Annual Passholders make solo trips.
    I always say take an extra day if you can, but only you know if it's a good idea for you, budget and time-wise.
    Anyone is welcome at the meets, if you go you can always post a note ahead of time saying you'll be there and asking who else might want to meet up.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

I went to the Park solo for two weeks back in September'09. Best two weeks vacation I've had in a while. I could do what I like, go where I like, and when I like (Pending the Park opening schedule). Queuing by yourself isn't a problem, there's just so much to see, and if you become bored of the themeing, there's always people watching.

The only hassle of eating alone is if you need to claim a table but need to jump up for a minute (perhaps you forgot to get a fork) you might be in danger of losing your table to another guest or a CM might come and clear it mistakenly. At least that's what I think paranoidly.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• radiantly eccentric

I love going Solo.
    concern 1. the lines are sometimes weird alone when there are rude or loud people next to you in a long line. I do bring my ipod for those rare moments and do try to use the single rider and fastpass options when available. I love to see the "little shows" that happen all day, its not weird at all to see them alone.
    concern 2 the eating by yourself. I have done this all over the park. There are plenty, out of the way spots that are really cool if you look for them. My one exception is reserved "sit down" places. I would like to try the Blue Bayou solo someday.
    I will be there solo May 11, 12 and two days are all my feet can take.
    Soak it up and ENJOY
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

*) I've noticed tour guides who are stuck waiting for their groups in the hubs reading a paperback. So, you are not the first person to bring an iPod or whatever into the park-trust me.

*) You have a unique situation, my friend! You can actually stop and talk to the myriad of CMs and find out those small details that make the park so special. And it's even better if it's busier-you can go to those places where the tourists aren't and enjoy yourself.

*) Do the meet-up. You'll have instant friends and they can go on stuff with you!

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Thank you for all the great info! The more I think about the line waiting, it doesn't bug me as much. Eating would still be a bit odd, but you are right - there are places I can go by myself that will make a solo trip great. There are places I wasn't able to go to last summer because my friends just didn't find it interesting.

I should hopefully know tomorrow night if I'm going or not - but I'm starting to get myself to the point I'll be disappointed if I don't!

I went by myself for the first time the other day -- I was in the area for a work meeting -- and afterward, on a whim, I decided to visit Disneyland. I got there at 5 p.m., just enough time for a few rides and check out the wine and food festival. I didn't feel awkward at all. No one is paying attention to you, for one. Everyone is too busy talking to the other people in their group, trying to keep track of their kids, etc.

And also, why would I be bothered by what complete strangers think about me?! The only time I briefly wished I had someone to talk to was at the Haunted Mansion. I was just behind a huge group of obnoxious teenagers who kept pushing each other and grabbing at decorations and other ride stuff. The CMs had to stop the ride several times to remind people to keep their hands and legs inside the "doom buggy."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

On a side note: My partner won't let me go to the parks without him! I was once in the area for a convention and he was adamant that I NOT go, not even with MCers! So I had to sit in my hotel and watch the fireworks. SO go!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    On a side note: My partner won't let me go to the parks without him! I was once in the area for a convention and he was adamant that I NOT go, not even with MCers! So I had to sit in my hotel and watch the fireworks. SO go!

Peace,
    Roo
    Why didn't your partner not want you to go without him? Because of safety reasons? It's super safe. Because he doesn't want to be left out?

Thank you all for the great advice! Unfortunately my May trip didn't work out - too many unknowns with a niece expected to be born any day now! I was hoping to make it down there before having to worry about it, but things became too busy for a last minute trip.

My new goal is for an early fall trip - the big difference is having more time to plan, which will be nice! I plan on using all of the great advice you guys shared on my trip! Thanks again!
    Follow me on Twitter: Steveo1485

The countdown is on! Back in the parks in early June!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Why didn't your partner not want you to go without him? Because of safety reasons? It's super safe. Because he doesn't want to be left out?
    Disney is our THING, and he was being a poophead. A poophead I love greatly and so I respected his wishes.

Peace,
    Roo

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm glad my husband never tells me I can't go alone, or I might never get there.

I have done it both ways, and each has it's pluses and minuses.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Banned User

i Love solo trips!! it's good to go by urself every once and a while!! nothing wrong with it!

• and too all a good fright

Skip the ipod...

I have done both WDW and DL alone and always manage to find something to look at or someone to talk to (both guests and CMs). Its a great chance to people watch and see the DL magic do its work.

Dining. My advice is to always use the bathroom before you eat whether you have to go or not. Silly? yes, but it does prevent you from having to get up in the middle of your meal.

• Progressive Disneylander

Lines and eating are the only two downsides to solo trips -- and neither is awful.

I usually eat at off-peak times. I'll eat lunch at either 11am when some of the restaurants are opening or later around 2:30pm after the main lunch rush just avoid the most crowded times. Usually, I can grab a seat just fine at those times. I also tend to eat dinner later between 7pm and 8pm.

The dining times aren't ideal, but it sure makes thinks easier when you don't have to stand there waiting for a table to open or have a family of 5 giving you the evil eye for using an entire table that they think you shouldn't be using just for you.

I often come armed with headphones, but never really use them because I feel it takes away from the Disney ambience. I don't want to shut out all of the sounds of my surroundings. That's part of what I love about the park. I usually surf the web on my phone or maybe play a phone game or something if I get bored.

Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast