• will-o-the-whip

Summer Stay Advice in SoCal - 2 Months

Does anyone know of any good sites or tips for finding an apartment for the summer in SoCal? I looked at Craig's List but not much there. And timeshares are ridiculously expensive at $1500 per week. Advice greatly appreciated.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Summer Stay Advice in SoCal - 2 Months

What specifically are you looking for? How many bedrooms do you need? For exactly how long? In Orange County, it may be hard to find even long term rentals for less than $200 a night. I know there are websites now where you can rent houses for the week pretty reasonably, but I can't find them now. There are vacation rental websites, but there are so many options depending on your specific needs.

Here's a few sites I found doing a quick search. Not sure if this will help any or not!

Anaheim Vacation Rentals, Anaheim California Vacation Rental Homes - Vacation Rentals.com

Anaheim Vacation Rentals, Anaheim Rentals, CyberRentals

Anaheim Vacation Home Rentals, Anaheim Home Rental in California

Anaheim Area metro area California Vacation Rentals by Owner - Anaheim Area metro area California VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Anaheim Area metro area California Travel Information

Anaheim California Rental Condos, Villas, Anaheim CA House Rentals

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• will-o-the-whip

Thanks for the links, it's much appreciated. I'm just surprised how much most of these places want (especially considering the economy)... it would almost be cheaper to just buy a cheap condo in Riverside since I plan to be in the area for two months.
    Compared to the lowest price of $150 per night, I could use Priceline to get the Crowne Plaza for $50 per night; I just need a kitchen, plus a bathroom and a bedroom with 2 beds.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Look at "Corporate and Transitional Housing" places - Oakwood Condominiums is one that has buildings scattered all over the Southland, fully furnished Condos by the month. There are a lot of 'Future Movie Stars' that get put up there as their new pilot is shot, and they wait while they find out if it gets purchased by a network - or not. Then it's back to Ohio.

Or long-stay hotels like the (Marriott) Residence Inn, Kitchenette hotel rooms with reduced housekeeping. (They aren't in there every day unless you really want it. And that's part of the secret to the reduced price, making your own bed in the mornings.)

You can often cut quite attractive Monthly Rates deals with local hotels, but they do require you to move between rooms or otherwise "Check Out" and "Return" monthly or bi-monthly, so you don't convert legally to a Tenant. The laws vary in places (some cities regulate this heavily to avoid the Hotels deteriorating) but IIRC the main conversion point they want to avoid is after 60 days.

The problem with traditional apartments is they want you in there for a minimum of six months to a year, and though long-term leases aren't as prevalent on the West Coast you won't get the best prices without one. Costs them too much to do the "Turnaround" painting and upkeep between tenants if you are only there for a month or two.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• will-o-the-whip

The Oakwood is about $100 per night, and that Marriott is on my list to call next. I'll probably start calling some of the local, non-chain type places to see if they can cut me a deal to get under $100 per night. I don't need anything fancy or even a pool so there's got to be something out there. Thanks for taking the time out to provide some good advice.

Heck, if you have a car you can do some really aggressive Priceline wrangling and only move once or twice.

Another lower-cost option is to buy or rent a motorhome or travel trailer, and find good long term rates at a campground. Problem being finding a vacancy...

Oh! Any relatives in the area with a house? Rent the trailer or motorhome and stay in their driveway. I'll come over and install you a 30-amp 120V or 50A 120/240V RV power outlet, and you can have a plumber intercept the sewer line and install a conveniently placed cleanout...

(Subject to local zoning - a lot of RV Storage Lot Owners band together and push for 'No Parking of Motorhomes' laws to "clean up our neighborhood!" Yeah, right, suuuuure - Follow The Money. You have to apply for a "long term loading" permit to park it longer than a few hours - and that only gets you a day or two.)

--<< Bruce >>--

Other Ideas:

There's a Holiday Inn in Burbank that buys ads in the L.A. Times - around $1200 a month for a single room, and $1500 (IIRC) for a "Suite" with a kitchenette. But that's a bit of a commute away, especially if you won't have a car.

Check the Orange County Register and the other regional papers for the same type of offer closer to where you want to be.

Call Real Estate Agents in the target area and see if they need any House Sitters. The way some homeowners insurance policies work, if the house sits vacant for more than 30 days the property coverage goes down or they have to pay extra to retain coverage.

If they have a house sitter in the residence the insurance stays in force. It might be as simple as them keeping the lights and gas on, and you paying for the utilities you used.

Be creative, be flexible, and something will click.

--<< Bruce >>--

• will-o-the-whip

Those are some great suggestions, thanks! I'll look into contacting some real estate agents in the areas I'd like to stay and see what they have available. Thanks again for taking the time out to respond!