• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Planning possible 2011 Disneyland Trip

I'm considering a possible 2011 trip out to Disneyland to check out World of Colour, the Little Mermaid and Star Tours II. I have a few questions to ask?

Has anyone ever stayed at the Grand Californian and is it worth the expensive price. Always wanted to stay here and I'm looking for honest reviews. Don't be afraid to tell me what you really think be it good and bad. And how are the other two on site hotels. The Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel both look a little dated by today's standards. So I would appreciate your views.

I was looking into going for the D23 Expo in August but as a rule I prefer to avoid peak times. Can the August crowds be manageable or would I be better of visiting after Summer ends maybe mid September when the kids go back to school.

When will the Disneyland Hotels start releasing room rates for next year?

Since I may make a possible side trip to Universal on one of the days. Do you know when the Transformers ride is scheduled to open?

This should do it for now.

• Refugee from a island

Re: Planning possible 2011 Disneyland Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I'm considering a possible 2011 trip out to Disneyland to check out World of Colour, the Little Mermaid and Star Tours II. I have a few questions to ask?

Has anyone ever stayed at the Grand Californian and is it worth the expensive price. Always wanted to stay here and I'm looking for honest reviews. Don't be afraid to tell me what you really think be it good and bad. And how are the other two on site hotels. The Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel both look a little dated by today's standards. So I would appreciate your views.

I was looking into going for the D23 Expo in August but as a rule I prefer to avoid peak times. Can the August crowds be manageable or would I be better of visiting after Summer ends maybe mid September when the kids go back to school.

Since I may make a possible side trip to Universal on one of the days. Do you know when the Transformers ride is scheduled to open?

Yes the Grand Californian is worth it, in my opinion. We stayed at all three of the hotel on-property and GC is by far the nicest. The Disneyland hotel has been getting some upgrades and it looks like there is even more coming, but, I like the GC anyway, and it is really convenient to both parks.

I can't help you the the release date for next year's rates, beside we now stay in the DVC Suites, so it a bit different.

The D23 Expo last year was in early September so most of the kids were back in school and the crowds weren't too bad. Next year's expo is schedule to occur just before school starts for most, so I'd expect the parks to be busier. If you go for the Expo and intend to do many of the sessions, you probably won't have much time for the parks unless you come in early or stay after the expo is done. At least that was my experience at the last one.

Transformers and Universal What's that? I go for Disney and don't do many of the other things in the area.

Hope this helps.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I can't help you the the release date for next year's rates, beside we now stay in the DVC Suites, so it a bit different.
    Thanks for the Grand Californian recomendaton. I e-mailed Disney on rates and when they will be released and got a Sept-Oct time frame.

If you go for the Expo and intend to do many of the sessions, you probably won't have much time for the parks unless you come in early or stay after the expo is done. At least that was my experience at the last one.
    When I attended the Expo last time I tried to split my time up between the parks and the Expo. See the Expo during the day and visit Disneyland later on for the night time shows. I would likely do the same this time but I much prefer my disney vacations to be in the off season. Thanks for your help

• Empress of Randomness

A possible 2011 trip is also on the cards for me too!

When I was there in 2005 I stayed in the Grand Californian and it was really amazing. I was only 15 so I wasn't aware of the price my mam and her partner were paying. It was really lovely and when I return I'd love to stay there again...

I will be following this thread closely!

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

I'm going to the Grand Californian today! I've eaten at the "Storyteller Cafe", and looked around, and read reviews, and it appears to be worth it. As for HB, its got crowds, junk surf (although it's produced some great surfers, like my old Rocky Point pal, Bud Llamas), and high prices. If you want to go to a great beach in So Cal go to my home beach, Riviera, in San Clemente. I don't beach it anymore so I don't mind spreading the word.

• Refugee from a island

When I attended the Expo last time I tried to split my time up between the parks and the Expo. See the Expo during the day and visit Disneyland later on for the night time shows. I would likely do the same this time but I much prefer my disney vacations to be in the off season. Thanks for your help
    We tried the same split during the 2009 Expo. It seemed to work out okay, but I am think that with the 2011 Expo being earlier that the park will probably be more crowded with school not in session yet. Unless of course, they start school even earlier then.

And you are most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by whamo View Post
    I'm going to the Grand Californian today! I've eaten at the "Storyteller Cafe", and looked around, and read reviews, and it appears to be worth it.
    And if you are in to higher end meal, Napa Rose is quite an experience. We've eaten there twice and real enjoyed ourselves both times.

Transformers at USH is supposed to open in late 2011 or early 2012.