Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Question Phoenix to Disneyland: What is the best route?

It has been a couple of years since we have driven to Disneyland and I am interested in hearing from the more frequent travelers along this stretch.

Of course you jump on I-10 (not interested in taking I-8), but what route do you like to take from the 10 to Disneyland? Which is fastest from your experience?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Phoenix to Disneyland: What is the best route?

Depends on what your timing is and what day you are traveling.

If you are traveling on a weekend or non rush hour during the week i prefer:

I-10 to 91 to 60 to 57 to Ball Road exit. (or if you are going to your hotel first, perhaps Katella, depending on where your hotel is located) Disadvantage of this route is the 91 and 60 can get extremely backed up during rush hour, or if there is an accident.

During rush hour arrivals:

I-10 to 57 to Ball Road.

Here's a topic where we discussed the same thing, but it's a few years old. Now the new 60/91 overpass is completed and it makes for an easier transition than the former cloverleaf was. And some of the carpool lanes are completed on the 91 and 60. However the 91 is STILL a disaster during rush hours.

Driving directions from Phoenix
    Last edited by Aladdin; 06-23-2010 at 04:33 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    It has been a couple of years since we have driven to Disneyland and I am interested in hearing from the more frequent travelers along this stretch.

Of course you jump on I-10 (not interested in taking I-8), but what route do you like to take from the 10 to Disneyland? Which is fastest from your experience?
    (Disclaimer: I don't live in Phoenix.)

Same as we discussed a few years ago:
    1. There is no one fastest route.
    2. Time of trip depends heavily, nay solely, on when you plan to arrive.
    3. From Phoenix, do NOT plan to arrive between 8AM and 11AM, nor between 3PM and 8PM. Middle of the day can be a mess as well.
    4. You have about 295 miles before making the first decision (The 10 or The 60?). A lot can happen in the 4-5 hours from when you last looked at sigalert.com. IMO, you want to be at this point before 6AM or after 7PM. So, you leave home at around 1AM-2AM or around 2PM-3PM.
    5. My Google Map says take The 60 to The 215 to The 91 to The 57. Any deviation from this should involve some extreme slowdown along this route. The times before 6AM and after 7PM have fewer chances of extreme slowdown. Google Map says this route takes 5 hours and 48 minutes -- up to 7 hours 10 minutes in traffic.
    6. Someone else here can provide info on current construction that would force a deviation from this route.
    7. As I've suggested in the "mass transit" thread, about 20 minutes before you have to make your first decision, you should have planned to call someone with updated information from sigalert.com. Someone at a PC, awaiting your call. This one call can save you 1.5 hours in sitting in traffic. Make sure the person looking at the map undertands how to read one and recommend to you which alternative route to take.
    8. There is some new traffic info number: "511" on your phone, or go511.com. Go511 | Home I haven't used it yet. Not sure if it will be completely-incomprehensible-to-nonlocals radio-style reports (for these, you really need to know lingo and just about every city and exit). You'd think the most important piece of information a radio station could provide could be delivered at a much more deliberate pace.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Personally I HATE the 60. My loathing for the 60 is only surpassed by my hate for the 91. The only time I will take the 60 is if I'm driving through at 3 AM, which is pretty much never. I always stay on the 10 and go into San Bernardino, then take the 215 to the 91 to the 57. (Of course I'm always by myself and can't use the carpool lanes)

My daughters former roommate drove both the 10/60/91 and the 10/215/91 and going into San Bernardino was actually just a few miles longer than the 10/60/91. Even with the new 60/91 off ramp I'll still go into San Berdo. You just have to remember when you get off the 10 to the 215 you need to get over at least 2 lanes pretty quickly as you go into Grand Terrace.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• aka the scorpion eater!

I just leave Phoenix about 1 or 2am and I am there by park opening! Then load up on energy shots and im good to go!
    Add me... I dont bite LOL!
    http://tamasurvivor.tumblr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/tamasurvivor
    http://www.facebook.com/TAMAsurvivor

Commence Dragulation... Dragulation complete!!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    My daughters former roommate drove both the 10/60/91 and the 10/215/91 and going into San Bernardino was actually just a few miles longer than the 10/60/91.
    I was surprised at how little difference in mileage this was when fooling around with the Google Maps.
    Then again, five miles longer is five minutes longer (or an hour shorter!), and I'm not sure if that is a rounding error for our OP.

OP, if you can keep up with AM 1070 traffic on the 5's report, then that should help if the friend with the PC is not available.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Hi, All, I'm still here.... just trying to digest all that has been said (especially by Sediment because that gave a lot to consider).

We are leaving Tucson tomorrow around 2. We should be out of Phoenix by 4pm (based on the last 3-4 times we've driven that stretch on our way to Vegas in the last six months). That means that we expect to arrive at Chapman/I-5 (where our hotel is) some time between 9 and 10:30. There will be 4 of us and we'll be able to utilize carpool lanes.

So, we shouldn't be traveling through that stretch during rush hour. Does that change anyone's suggestion?

There are so many options!

I-10/57
    I-10/60/57
    I-10/60/215/91/57
    I-10/I-15/91/57
    I-10/I-15/60/57
    I-10/215/91/57
    I-10/215/91/60/57

It is enough to make your head spin. I wish there were more of a consensus on this thread!

I will have my google phone with me, so I hope to be able to check websites such as you suggested, Sediment.

Aladdin, thanks for the link to that thread. I actually remember reading that thread at the time it was written, years ago, but I wasn't sure if I should resurrect it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Since it will be at least 7pm to 8pm before you hit the inland empire, and you are arriving Friday evening the I-10 to 91 to 60 to 57 to Ball Road/Katella exit should be fine. You will be avoiding rush hour times so 91 and 60 will be ok.

If you want to keep the directions simple, then stay with I-10 to 57 to Ball Road/Katella - where ever your hotel is.

Have a Fun time - and let us know how your trip goes!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Hi, All, I'm still here.... just trying to digest all that has been said (especially by Sediment because that gave a lot to consider).

We are leaving Tucson tomorrow around 2. We should be out of Phoenix by 4pm (based on the last 3-4 times we've driven that stretch on our way to Vegas in the last six months). That means that we expect to arrive at Chapman/I-5 (where our hotel is) some time between 9 and 10:30. There will be 4 of us and we'll be able to utilize carpool lanes.

So, we shouldn't be traveling through that stretch during rush hour. Does that change anyone's suggestion?

There are so many options!

I-10/57
    I-10/60/57
    I-10/60/215/91/57
    I-10/I-15/91/57
    I-10/I-15/60/57
    I-10/215/91/57
    I-10/215/91/60/57

It is enough to make your head spin. I wish there were more of a consensus on this thread!

I will have my google phone with me, so I hope to be able to check websites such as you suggested, Sediment.

Aladdin, thanks for the link to that thread. I actually remember reading that thread at the time it was written, years ago, but I wasn't sure if I should resurrect it.
    Sorry, I missed you to answer questions. Here it is, mootly:
    Take whichever you want. I would take the shortest route, which I've already Googled.
    The traffic at that time will be solely dependent on more rare traffic events than the general slowing down. You picked a perfect time to go. Only question at that time would be Angel Stadium traffic.
    I like Aladdin's suggestion to keep it simple, if that will make it easier. Two freeways instead of six? Again, we're talking only five miles/minutes. Big whoop after six hours of driving. you can work your way up to six freeways on subsequent trips.

I'd like to know how the trip turned out.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Fly.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Fly.
    She must be out of pixie dust.

• Hukuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    Fly.
    Funny...

I have always preferred taking the 10-60-91-57, I recently took the 10 all the way to 57 It was nice, it felt like it was a longer drive and there was a Car B Q which halted traffic for a bit but it was a nice change.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

UGGG!!!! Flying from Phoenix is often a heck of a lot more trouble and hastle than it's worth. Plus, your not really saving much time flying, considering that you have to arrange for transportation to the airport or park in long term parking then transport your luggage to the airport via shuttle, arrive at the airport early, then go through security, restricted carry ons, wait for your flight, hope there aren't any issues with delay in flight. Then when you get there, wait for your luggage and hope it shows up, arrange for transportation to the hotel or rent a car. Whereas if you drive, you pack your car and go, that's it. When you arrive you can head straigt to your hotel or to DL parking. Plus you don't have to worry about carry on restrictions, or limiting the size of your luggage, Plus you have all the room in your car available for purchases at DL, and don't have to pay for shipping of merchandise/retrictions of what you can place in your luggage. Plus, if you fly, you miss all the interesing sights, like the Dinosaurs in Cabazon, and the outlet mall. It's easy to stop by the Character Warehouse before going to DL. Plus you have your own transportation if you want to take any sidetrip while in Anaheim.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

We usually head to DL every 8 weeks or so. Most times we take the routes described by Aladdin, again depending on time and weather. We have found if it is raining hard it is best to stick to the 10 to the 57.

So bottom line:

shortest route is: 10 - 60 - 91 -57
    But if you miss the 60 cut off: 10 - 91 -57
    or if traffic/weather is bad: 10 - 57

• GO DBACKS!!

We love to fly Southwest to the OC, especially when they run special fares. We arrive at the airport as little as 45 minutes till boarding since we are so familiar with both airports. We park cheap at The Parking Spot, love them. We get an inexpensive rental car in OC and drive where ever we want. My car is 10 years old and I don't want to put any more miles than I have to on it.

And if we play our cards right we have friends who drive down the same time we are there who can take any packages back to PHX ^^^^^^ Hi Pratt55!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast