• Laughing Place Finder

Thumbs up Good deal on car rental - *Bonus* Using debit card with no deposit

After checking the section on rental car deals at Mousesavers I found a great suggestion that resulted in a great car rental deal.

The suggestion was to check for deals through the Travel page of a Club Store website like Costco or Sam's Club for bigger savings than the corporate / discount code ID numbers you'll usually find on most travel advice sites.

I went to the Costco Travel web site and found an Alamo Rental Car coupon code for 40% off. I was able to combine that with a coupon for an additional $25 off a 3 day or longer rental.

I booked a mid-size car at Alamo from Friday Aug 27 through Monday, Aug 30 for $65 total including taxes, vehicle license recovery fees, etc. I'm picking it up from the Downtown Disney Alamo by the AMC Theaters and dropping it off at LAX. This allows me to not only have a car for the last three days of my trip but it also allows me to skip paying $16-$19 per person to take a shuttle or bus to LAX for our flight home.

And if the Alamo booking confirmation and customer service rep I talked with can be believed I will be able to use my debit card without any deposit since I am flying in with proof of a round trip plane ticket. (Yes I printed out my confirmation and the response from Alamo customer service just in case this is too good to be true.) I'm used to having to hold the usual $300-$400 debit card deposit with most car rental places so this could be a nice change.

The funny thing is that I was thinking of renting a car with this deal for my whole 5 day trip from the Alamo location at John Wayne / Orange County / Santa Ana airport. That would have allowed us to skip paying for a shuttle or bus from the airport to the hotel but that rental would have cost over $400!

Just thought I'd share this pretty cool deal. If I have a good experience with this chances are good I'll be using the Downtown Disney Alamo often on future trips.
    Last edited by Darth Mickey; 08-08-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Minion

Re: Good deal on car rental - *Bonus* Using debit card with no deposit

I hope that works out for you, it sounds like a great deal. I'm curious to see if the debit card info is correct, as I plan on renting a car in FL and really don't want to tie up that money.
    I want my cake back!

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by seenoevil View Post
    I hope that works out for you, it sounds like a great deal. I'm curious to see if the debit card info is correct, as I plan on renting a car in FL and really don't want to tie up that money.
    Yeah I'm used to a wide range of varying experiences renting cars with debit cards. The most painful lesson I've learned in my travels is that rental policies vary from location to location even within the same chain. For example some Dollar locations put a $250 deposit on your debit card while other locations can double that. For that reason I always check directly with the office of the company I'm using for their specific policies.

I also print out copies of backing documentation from their web site and correspondence with their customer service so that the company can't spring any "gotchas" on additional deposits or onerous requirements on me at the last minute.

Part of me is still skeptical in that I've never heard of a company renting a car with a debit card without holding a deposit but we'll see how this goes. Either way I'm prepared but I'd much prefer not needing a deposit.

If this debit card policy is what it appears to be that could be a really great policy. Hopefully this policy of allowing debit cards with proof of a round trip plane ticket becomes a trend with other companies.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Darth Mickey; 08-09-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Minion

I'm looking forward to hearing about the results. It's seems like SO much work! Good luck!
    I want my cake back!

• Random Cupcake Thief

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mickey View Post

I also print out copies of backing documentation from their web site and correspondence with their customer service so that the company can't spring any "gotchas" on additional deposits or onerous requirements on me at the last minute.
    I always say to get it in writing first. Good idea about looking for documentation on the website for policy info.

I was able to get a great deal from Enterprise. I searched the internet for coupons and I got an additional discount for renting more than two days. I was able to pre-pay for it and nothing else was held on my debit card. I rented for five days, an economy car, and I paid $164 including the insurance.
    I suffer from infantile thoughts of grandiosity

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelluh View Post
    I always say to get it in writing first. Good idea about looking for documentation on the website for policy info.

I was able to get a great deal from Enterprise. I searched the internet for coupons and I got an additional discount for renting more than two days. I was able to pre-pay for it and nothing else was held on my debit card. I rented for five days, an economy car, and I paid $164 including the insurance.

That's great info and sounds like an amazing deal. I don't think I've ever rented a car in So Cal for a week for less than $200 without the extra insurance. Was the Enterprise rental from an airport location or an off-airport location?

Thanks for sharing. I'm always interested in knowing which agencies allow debit card rentals, especially without a deposit. Maybe I'll start a thread asking people to chime in with their debit card rental experiences so we can get a good list of companies to choose from.

It was a fair amount of work to find the deal but to have the extra $200-$300 to use on our vacation is well worth it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

So you can use those club codes without being a member? I'm looking for a WDW rental.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    So you can use those club codes without being a member? I'm looking for a WDW rental.
    The 40% off coupon code was from the Costco site and you had to login as a member and click their link to use it. The additional $25 off coupon I found on the Mousesavers dot com site really made this deal a no-brainer for me. I really recommend doing your travel planning homework at mousesavers dot com for a big WDW trip. You'll find many good discount tips for car rentals, food, hotels and anything else you might need there.

I'd totally recommend getting a Costco, Sam's Club or some other club like AAA membership and checking for deals on the travel portion of their websites. This discount alone more than pays for such a membership and sure beats booking a car directly.

Good luck on your planning and your trip. If I can be of any help let me know.

• When Will It Return?

Oh man, the last time I flew into FL it was into Ft. Lauderdale's airport. It took me 90mins and FOUR rental car agencies before I could rent w/ my debit card. Avis rejected debit on its face, despite my having a pre-existing reservation. Ace didn't know the difference between a debit card and a credit card. (No joke.) Enterprise was sold out. (Gee, I wonder why?) Finally PayLess agreed and sent me on my way with a car with an amazing amount of scratches on it.

No es bueno.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Laughing Place Finder

Yeah the debit card thing is something you want to verify in advance with the specific branch location of whoever you reserve a car with. Then you'll want to re-verify it and then verify it a third time before you leave.

Just to be safe I'll be bringing two different written confirmations along with my proof of round-trip airfare. But it is a good illustration of the preparation and shenanigans involved in using a debit card for a car rental. Credit cards are usually much less trouble and you'll usually get all the standard protections that credit card companies provide.

• Loving life!

We have rented from Alamo several times using a debit card and it has been no problem. Just have to have your roundtrip plane ticket.