• Nutty guy from Canada

Question Travel Time Between DLR and Universal in Mid May

Howdy all.

Planning a trip down to the resort in May and while we're going to generally stay in Anaheim for most of the trip there is one day were we plan on driving up to Universal Studios.

We want to get there around Universal's opening time (which I will verify when we get closer) but I'm curious how long I should plan for the drive considering it'll be in the morning on a Wednesday. Would 1.5 hours do it or should I plan for 2 just to be safe? (This would just be for regular traffic congestion, I'm not worrying about accidents or anything like that as you can't typically plan for those.)

Also is I-5 to the 101 the best way to go or are there short cuts that I'm unaware of?

Thanks for the assistance.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Booked Trip: DLR November 2015
    Planned Trip: WDW March 2019

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Travel Time Between DLR and Universal in Mid May

Quote Originally Posted by Asylim View Post
    Would 1.5 hours do it or should I plan for 2 just to be safe? (This would just be for regular traffic congestion, I'm not worrying about accidents or anything like that as you can't typically plan for those.)

Also is I-5 to the 101 the best way to go or are there short cuts that I'm unaware of?

Thanks for the assistance.
    I make that drive every day. All depends on if it is rush hour or not. In traffic, it could take 1.5 to 2 hours but in off hours it can be as quick as 45 minutes at other times. 5 to the 101 is easiest. But if you have google maps on your phone, you can route yourself around any traffic jams.

Have fun!
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

15 minutes from the park that started it all

Usually takes us less than a hour, and we live closeby to DL.
    Have a blast.

• Nutty guy from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I make that drive every day. All depends on if it is rush hour or not. In traffic, it could take 1.5 to 2 hours but in off hours it can be as quick as 45 minutes at other times. 5 to the 101 is easiest. But if you have google maps on your phone, you can route yourself around any traffic jams.

Have fun!
    I should have Google earth on one of our laptops... (Canadian cell phones in the US cost us a huge amount extra for everything so we tend to turn em off unless it's an emergency.)

That said, is there typical times that it's considered rush hour along these routes? I would think if Universal opens at 10:00 we'd probably be ok if we left the resort at 9:00 but if Universal opens at 9:00 then we could be hitting the tail end of rush hour.

I guess I should plan around that. Last thing I want is a 21 month old and a 7 month old stuck in a car for more than 2 hours.

Thanks for the replies, they help.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Asylim View Post
    That said, is there typical times that it's considered rush hour along these routes? I would think if Universal opens at 10:00 we'd probably be ok if we left the resort at 9:00 but if Universal opens at 9:00 then we could be hitting the tail end of rush hour.

I guess I should plan around that. Last thing I want is a 21 month old and a 7 month old stuck in a car for more than 2 hours.

Thanks for the replies, they help.
    Rush Hour can be from 7AM until 10AM. Regular day traffic is also bad.
    I suggest getting up early, beating traffic, eating breakfast near Uni. Maybe someone here who lives in that area can help you find a good place. I lived there 20 years ago, and it has changed a lot.
    I hate traffic. A lot.
    If you have internet access in your car, I suggest sigalert.com.
    Your wife will have to be able to read the map and suggest alternatives at a moment's notice. There are at least five ways to get to UNI. The 5 to The 101 is the shortest.

Alternatively, you could take a train to Union Station and the Red Line Subway to Uni and not worry about traffic at all.
    To get to Uni by 10AM:
    1. Metrolink from Anaheim station at 7:46AM north to Union Station at 8:40AM.
    2. Metro Red Line from Union Station at 8:47AM, 8:58AM, or 9:10AM, arriving at Universal station at 9:12AM, 9:24AM, or 9:36AM.
    3. Last Metrolink train to Anaheim is 6:30PM. Red Line is a 25-minute trip leaving every ten minutes. Plan accordingly.

Metrolink: Metrolink :: Orange County Line (Mon-Fri)
    Metro Red Line: http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/802.pdf
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Nutty guy from Canada

Thanks for the transit info sediment. That could come in handy.

Our last trip down there (in February) I learned the hard way how bad traffic can be on the 5 and the 101. Took us 3.5 hours to drive from San Diego's airport to the Universal Hilton. I had a lot of unhappy vacationers on my hands after that mess up. This was a Sunday night as well.

So I don't assume that traffic is going to be any better after supposed rush hour times.

• Rock Star Minion

Sunday night has a Rush Hour, too. In nearly every direction, though mostly toward downtown. Not that anyone is actually going to downtown, just lots of people returning to the general, 50-mile radius area, and the "center of gravity" is downtown. Same goes for Friday afternoon and night, going away from downtown. (Heck, there is more traffic outward on Thursdays than other days, due to people trying to beat that traffic!)

An addition to my train info: there are AMTRAK trains that leave after that 6:30PM Metrolink train:
    1. #592, leaving at 8:30PM, arriving in Anaheim at 9:11PM
    2. #796, leaving at 10:10PM, arriving in Anaheim at 10:49PM
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."