•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

How much of the LAX modernization was approved?

The LAX website has lots of videos and presentations dedicated to selling some major renovations to its infrastructure. These include a "Peoplemover", a TTC type transportation hub, relocated parking and centralized rental car lots, the removal of the three North Terminals, (the confirmed expansion of the TBIT and runways) and the modernization/conversion of the centre causeway (which is currently parking) into a connecting area for the remaining terminals. Is this all going to happen, is it just their dream?

• Rock Star Minion

Re: How much of the LAX modernization was approved?

The plans I've seen seem nearly impossible to implement while simultaneously operating one of the busiest airports in the world 24/7. Sure, I'm not very imaginative, but the logistics would be way bad.

In short, they want to thin the width of the terminal areas. That means taking out parking, and taking out the current double-decker driving lane.
    Steps:
    1. They need to build the parking elsewhere.
    2. They need to build the public mass transportation (those underground, automated trains seen in Seattle and Denver) to get from the parking to the terminals.
    3. Concurrent with 1 and 2, do the Bradley Expansion. Use Expansion area to replace closed areas in Step 4.
    4. One at a time, knock down and rebuild the north terminals 1, 2, and 3 closer to the south terminals.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Yea, I get the proposals and they all sound amazing. Termanals 1, 2 and 3 would be demolished and replaced with a single corridor of gates which, along with the other numbered terminals would be served by a new master terminal building (complete with check-ins , baggage drops and claims) in the center where parking currently is.

What I'm wondering is how much of the project past the TBIT upgrades have been approved and funded.

• Rock Star Minion

I don't know. I haven't heard much since about November or so.
    My wife's uncle is on the board. I guess I could call him. Without knowing anything, it will all be held up by environmental issues and locals' complaints.

Seems to be other thoughts on the North runways. Oct 4, 2010 has "Move South (of the two north) Runway 100 feet further South" and three or so alternatives. But affecting fewer existing gates (14 or 8 or 4) than, well, all of the existing gates.
    http://www.ourlax.org/SPASAC.cfm

That this has come up tells me (though I'm not a good listener) that replacing the three terminals with one flat terminal and moving South Runway (called "The Master Plan" in the August 16 presentation) is not set in stone.

These new alternatives are priced at no more than $200 million. The Master Plan is over $5 billion.

ETA: I am interested in the Concourse 0 idea, basically an extension of Terminal 1 eastward. I would much rather that expansion take place on the West side of the LAX complex, out beyond Tom Bradley, connected with Denver-/Seattle-like underground trains, but this will do.
    Last edited by sediment; 02-23-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Thats the site I was looking at too. It really does look great.

Hmm. It'll be interesting to see how grey my hair is before they follow through on one of the options.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Mayor Hahn had it all worked out with the cement companies. Then he got voted out. The new mayor Villaraigosa hasn't indicated what's going to happen, I think they're scaling back some of their original more ambitious proposals though.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Thats too bad.

As an foreigner, I really would have benefited from all of your tax dollars!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Hahn's proposal maximized the amount of cement that could be poured. His plan was a bit of a monstrosity.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I usually only fly out of LAX when I'm leaving the country, the rest of the time I fly out of Orange County. It would certainly be nice to see some of these improvements take place. The airports I've been to in both Hong Kong and Mainland China make LAX look like a dump.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Hahn's proposal maximized the amount of cement that could be poured. His plan was a bit of a monstrosity.
    I find that pouring the cement and then mixing it into concrete is a bit tedious. I'm sure his plan actually maximized the amount of concrete.

Of course, the way governments spend, you never know. :P

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm surprised they didn't want to mix in gold ore to give it a shiny color.