City pass question

Planning on a trip to DL with three kids (first time). I originally thought the SoCal city pass was a great option until I factored in the cost of transportation to SD Zoo, SeaWorld and Universal. I also had planned to upgrade the 3 day hopper to a 4 day, but read here that I cannot do that. So, my question is, if I go with the city pass, what is the best option for transportation for afamily of five? (aged 13 and under). We are staying at the Paradise Pier for 3 nights and HoJos for 4 nights. I heard it is best to avoid DL on the weekends, so had planned on Mon-Wed or Tu -Thur, with the remaining time for the other attractions that come with the city pass. But then realized how long it takes to get to SD and don't think my kids can do the long bus/train rides three days in a row. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Should I pass on the city pass and just stick with DL plus maybe one SD attraction? We were leaning towards just the zoo and Universal, but have read some negative comments on Universal.

Thanks in advance!

• Nutty guy from Canada

Re: City pass question

Value wise we've found the City Pass to be an excellent choice and have used them twice. 3 days at the resort, I found wasn't enough which is why we're going for a full week this year.

What we did however was we stayed in Anaheim for Disney and for Universal (only an hour or so drive away if traffic is ok and to me the Studio tour is worth the price of admission alone but some of it might be a bit much for younger kids) and then we moved down to a San Diego hotel to do Seaworld and the Zoo. (Also highly recommend the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum if you are interested in Navy Vessels.)

In order to really make this work efficiently for us we found the best thing to do was to fly into San Diego, drive up to Anaheim for the few days we stayed and then we drove back down to San Diego, did our thing there and flew out of San Diego.

Though it adds to the cost we also found renting a minivan for the duration of the stay just made things so much easier for us versus trying to bus it or take a train.

If you can afford it I'd strongly recommend that route when you have younger kids.

Alternatively, It might just be better to not bother with San Diego this trip and just stick with Disney and go with a five day park hopper. San Diego will still be there when you decide to ago again when the kids are older.

That said, I love San Diego as a city. If I had to choose a US city to live in, San Diego would be it, so missing out on it would not be my own personal choice.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2014, WDW March 2017

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• Nerd

^ pretty solid advice. I would mention that driving to San Diego from Anaheim everyday would be a killer. if you're not from around here, you have to also understand that traffic down and back from San Diego sometimes is bumper to bumper, so what looks close can be a long drive down.
    The train from Anaheim to San Diego would be fun and it runs right along the beach for much of the journey - Then you can grab a cab or take other public transportation from the Downtown San Diego Station to to Zoo or Sea World. Its all pretty accessible and close. I would stay somewhere downtown San Diego or along the downtown shoreline. Lots to do that is walking distance from there.

Otherwise, you're real best option is rent a car and get used to driving the freeways. Its not THAT bad.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Thanks you two for the great info. My DH really does not want to drive, so I'll probably just opt to buy a hopper tix only and pick one trip to San diego. Next trip I will consider staying in San Diego for a few nights then up to Anaheim. I may also consider cancelling a couple nights at the HoJo and Amtrak up to San Diego, but that sounds a bit much with all our suitcases etc.! Oh well, I'll just have to come back again (soon). Thanks again.

• Nutty guy from Canada

No problem.

San Diego has so much going for it, it really is worth a trip all on it's own. Last February my family and I did a week in LA/Anaheim and then a week in San Diego and we were never bored.

Good luck with your trip regardless too whatever you decide.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2014, WDW March 2017

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• Banned User

We were also thinking about doing the City Pass for our next trip but I decided against it for the following reason:

My kids are too little (20 months and almost 6) so for us Universal would be kinda a waste. I wish they would let us pick and choose what theme parks because I think I'd want to pick Lego Land intead of Universal.

The drive is kinda harsh, ESPECIALLY if you are not staying in San Diego. I would definately consider staying over there for a few nights if you were doing City Pass.

We are fine with 3 days at the Disneyland Resort but then again we go at least twice a year from Vegas so we really don't need more than that. If I had enough time lets say 6-7days free I would like to do City Pass but in moderation cuz it's just too much crammed into a vacation that when you get home it never felt like one. 3 days @ DL, 1 day at Universal all the way across town and then San Diego...wow, maybe a little too much for us.

So maybe staying the majority of the time in Anaheim and maybe 1 day at Sea World wouldn't be too bad for your family. Good luck and have a great time.