Traveling from Sac/Stockton Area to Disneyland during the wee hours?

My boyfriend and I have a crazy idea to leave for Disneyland around 10pm Friday night. Get a hotel via priceline for two nights, so grab a couple hours sleep, then head to Disneyland resort to ride Little Mermaid and Star Tours (we have APs so we're good if this is all we can manage in one day), then stay over Saturday and head back Sunday.

We would leave sooner on Friday, but we both have rehearsal until 9:30 or so. I have a couple questions, one for anyone who has used priceline and one for people who travel from the Sacramento/Stockton area on I-5 to Disneyland.

1) We won't be getting to Anaheim until 4am or so. Do you know if I book a room on priceline, then call the hotel letting them know this if they will hold the room for us? The latest I've ever arrived at a hotel is 11PM and that has never been a problem.

2) I'm sure I'll need to stop at least twice on the way down. I know there are 24 hour places in Santa Niella, and it will only be about midnight when we hit there, but does anyone who travels I-5 know which exits might have 24 hour places to stop for restroom breaks? I'm thinking we'll need another break around 2 or 3 am.

of course, the traffic will probably be better than normal at that time of night , so maybe the second break won't be neccessary!

Thanks in advance!

Jen
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: Traveling from Sac/Stockton Area to Disneyland during the wee hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennith View Post
    I have a couple questions, one for anyone who has used priceline and one for people who travel from the Sacramento/Stockton area on I-5 to Disneyland.
    You called?

1) We won't be getting to Anaheim until 4am or so. Do you know if I book a room on priceline, then call the hotel letting them know this if they will hold the room for us? The latest I've ever arrived at a hotel is 11PM and that has never been a problem.

2) I'm sure I'll need to stop at least twice on the way down. I know there are 24 hour places in Santa Niella, and it will only be about midnight when we hit there, but does anyone who travels I-5 know which exits might have 24 hour places to stop for restroom breaks? I'm thinking we'll need another break around 2 or 3 am.

of course, the traffic will probably be better than normal at that time of night, so maybe the second break won't be neccessary!
    Can't help w/ the first, but I can w/ the second. If you're looking to stop about two or three hours after Santa Nella (which my family always called "Pea Soup" after the anchor business in the area), that will put you right in the middle of Kern County. I-5 through Kern is 90 miles of NOTHING. I don't know of any 24 hour places along that stretch, except for gas stations.

Maybe, instead of making a straight shot all the way, you could spend that night in Kettleman City. That's the halfway point from Sacramento to DL. It's about 90 minutes past Pea Soup and there are a couple of hotels, one of them a Holiday Inn.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Other solution is to take 99, and stay the night in Fresno or Bakersfield.

You could check in at 1-4AM if you buy the night before. I'd just recommend calling the hotel that night and tell them you'll have a (very) late check in. Just sleep, finish the drive, and you wont be a zombie that way. 4am into that area... at 6-7 you'll be woken up =-).

would this work for you?

what i've done in the past is sleep all day and leave Sacramento around midnight. i know you've got rehersal till about 9:30pm or so, so what about getting some sleep before heading out closer to midnight? we took 5 south and hit los angeles around 6am or so. then you could check in early, maybe get some more sleep, then head to the parks?

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

There are a lot more 24 hour places along the 99 than the 5. Personally, I'd rather drive down to Harris Ranch (Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant - Coalinga, CA) and then get a 6 a.m. start on Saturday and get to Disneyland around 10 a.m. with a few hours of sleep under my belt.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

I would drive all the way to Castaic---just after the Grapevine. This should only take you 4-5 hours. If you leave at 10, you should at about 3am. The trip into the park should only take a couple of hours. You could sleep until 7 and get into the park by 10 at the latest.

Here's a tip--do not take the 5 all the way to DLR. 210 East to the 57 South. It goes much faster no matter what time of day. The 5 is always stupid with traffic. The 57 gets off at Katella by Angels Stadium--you just drive on up to the park.

Here is another option: Leave Sac area at 3 am. Drive straight to DLR and enjoy the park (about 10 am)--I live in Sac and can get to DLR in 6.5 hours. Get a hotel that day and nap when necessary. And stay the night. Heck you can even sneak into the park Sunday morning and still get home to Sac by 7pm. I've done this LOTS. This way you only pay for one night in a hotel.

Good Luck
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!