Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Rescue Ranger

Re: Disneyland to San Francisco for a day-trip - local travel advice?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Agreed. If you have no way of getting onto studio property, then you've wasted a trip.
    Did I say I had no way of getting onto property? I wasn't actually planning to just walk up to the door and demand to be let in without ID.

The three places I was particularly intending to visit while in LA are Mickey's of Glendale, and the Studio Archives & the Studio Store. It's the logistics of actually getting to those from Disneyland which I'm not too sure about, but at least there's no real time deadline to that day. I'm fairly used to driving on the "wrong" side of the street (LOL) in Florida, but they don't have quite so many cars clogging up the roads there.

In SF, I'm going to play it by ear with the museum. I fully expect to take a good 5+ hours there, maybe more (my flight arrives at 8:18, so I'm hoping I'll be there around opening time of 10am). If it takes me longer, so be it, I'll just cut back on other stuff. But I'd really like to at least get down to the wharf area and take a cable car while I'm in SF if I can. Worst comes to worst, I can just get takeaway food or even eat at the airport.

So do I take the BART from the airport to somewhere around Powell Street and get a cab from there - which stop would be best?

I ideally plan to go back to the airport from Powell St BART after taking the cable car.

Andre
    Last edited by andrewilley; 08-04-2011 at 03:13 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

1. You didn't say one way or the other. Good luck. Be on the road before 6:30AM. When you get to Burbank, get breakfast. On the way back, be on the road before 2PM or after 7PM.

2. Might as well get off at Powell, ride the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf, take a cab from there.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rescue Ranger

Thanks for that. Ouch, 6.30am one day followed by 5am the next! As you say, I guess I could get breakfast at the Studios when I get there. I might just bite the bullet and risk the slower traffic for the drive over to Burbank, and then leave it until after 7pm to come back. Anything I should think about doing over there for a few hours after visiting the Studios and before I drive back? What's Griffith Park like, for example? I guess I should take a photo of the Hollywood sign (god, I'm going to be such a tourist!).

I'll get myself an Alamo rental booked then, unless you think Enterprise would be better for me? (for quick & easy collection when staying at the Disneyland Hotel, and easy drop-off at the terminal at SNA the next morning).

In SF, I had thought to do the WDFM first, and then work my way back via the wharf and cable car - that way if I do end up spending a lot longer at the museum, at least I can trim back on the time taken getting back to the airport. Do you think I'd be better doing it the other way around then, and finishing at the museum? Or would the BART>cablecar>cab method even work out quicker/cheaper and get me to the museum for near to the 10am opening anyway?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head around the best way to do this and cram as much as I can into a rather short trip.

Andre

• Rock Star Minion

Griffith Park is huge. Over on "The Valley" side, there is a train museum, while on the "Hollywood" side there is the Observatory and The Sign, and the rest of Hollywood. The zoo is also in there, as well as the Gene Autry Museum, noth on the east side of the park. In Hollywood, there are some great movie theaters (Groman's, Disney's El Capitan), as well as the Kodak Theater (home of Oscars) and the Pantages (some play will be running). Danger level is up a notch or two from Disneyland. You can park your car at North Hollywood Red Line station and take the subway (yes, there is one) into Hollywood.
    There's a lot to do.

Rental choice is a toss-up, and the Bay Area folks around here will provide better advice on public transportation in SF than I can. I'm jsut looking at maps. The cable cars are a bit slow, but then SF is pretty small.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

If you're at the Studios you should go eat breakfast at Bob's Big Boy...no Disney connection, but it's really cool and got lots of history. The Beatles ate there during on of their visits to the US and it's just really an interesting place. It's just a few blocks from the studio, and you feel like you're in the 50s...
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

Quote Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
    In SF, I had thought to do the WDFM first, and then work my way back via the wharf and cable car - that way if I do end up spending a lot longer at the museum, at least I can trim back on the time taken getting back to the airport. Do you think I'd be better doing it the other way around then, and finishing at the museum? Or would the BART>cablecar>cab method even work out quicker/cheaper and get me to the museum for near to the 10am opening anyway?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head around the best way to do this and cram as much as I can into a rather short trip.

Andre
    I would do the museum first, especially if this may be your only visit to the museum. You don't want to leave the museum when it closes and/or when you have to catch your flight feeling like you wasted time at Fisherman's Wharf and riding a Cable Car that could/should have spent exploring the museum.

I tell Disney fans who don't live nearby to treat the museum like it's a day in the parks. Plan for all day. If you have multiple days in San Francisco, plan to spend 2 days at the museum.

There is nothing in any of the Disney parks that even compares to the Walt Disney Family Museum. It's a completely different experience. Honestly, you could spend your entire day at the museum and still feel like you haven't fully experienced it. It's better to cut cable car/Fisherman's Wharf short and/or out altogether instead of cutting the museum short.

• Rescue Ranger

Yeah, I think the Museum-first option is a definite, and then I can stay until closing if I want to.

My flight arrives at SFO at 8:18 and I know I need to get the BART into the city. The remaining question now is how to get to the WDFM by around opening time if I can: get off the BART, take two Muni buses, then walk 15 mins from the bus drop-off at Presidio... or just get a cab when I get off the BART? (And if the latter, which station would be best for journey time/price ?)

Andre

Just a quick comment on SFO, be aware SFO can experience significant delays at times due to fog/low visibility, more then other California airports do. Its not uncommon to be delayed when flying to/from SFO. SFO has one of the worst records for flights being on time.

Just something to be aware of.

• Hukuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    If you do not want to rent a car, consider, too, flying into Oakland instead of SFO if the timing and fares are much better. I often find it easier and cheaper to fly from SNA to OAK, then take the BART shuttle to the BART trains and ride into the city. Southwest has a lot of convenient flights between SNA and Oakland.

BART routes and schedules can be found here: BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit

If I was doing a day trip, I might consider taking a flight to SFO or OAK, then taking Bart to the Powell Street stop, riding the trolley to Pier 39, then taking a cab over to the Disney Museum and anywhere else you might want to go. There's a lot to do and see in SF in one day, though: the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Pier 39, the Coit Tower, Lombard Street, and plenty more.

Hey great advise everybody. Im also loving the props for Southwest Airlines. Its makes me smile. I love he positive words towards the airline. Its a nice change:-)

---------- Post added 08-09-2011 at 03:06 PM ----------

And if you need me to check flight status or check you in early let me know thru PM.

• Rock Star Minion

I thought most Southwest Airlines were jets. No props.

And, who doesn't like LUV? I prefer them for all my short flights. (Long flights are another matter. I'm a non-stop guy.)

I wanted to add something very important that I just remembered. SF has two Montgomery streets, one in downtown and the one in the Presidio where the museum is. Make sure you tell the cabbie that you want to go to the Presidio, so you don't wind up in downtown nowhere near the museum.

• Rescue Ranger

Thanks everyone for all the great tips.

Sorry Joshnyah, I'm flying with Continental rather than Southwest (although I did check them out, but the CO flight worked better for my trip).

Just have to hope I won't get delayed at SFO, I'll have to take it as it comes.

So if I'm going to get the BART from SFO into the city, which station do you all think I should I get off at for the easiest/cheapest/fastest onward journey on to the WDFM at the Presidio? Roughly how much would a cab cost me, as opposed to taking the buses (which do seem to take a while from the Muni info).

Andre

I'd take BART to Civic Center because City Hall borders Van Ness, and an eventual left on Van Ness takes you to Lombard and Lombard goes right into the Presidio. I honestly don't remember how much my cab fare cost when I had to do it since it was 2 nearly years ago, and it didn't help that I wound up in downtown due to the confusion over the two Montgomery Streets in SF.

• Rescue Ranger

Great, many thanks. So I'll get the yellow BART line to the Civic Center, and then find a cab when I get off to the Presidio (I assume they'll be easy enough to find, yes?). Anything special I need to look for when getting a tax in SF?

If anyone has done it recently, roughly what sort of money am I likely to need - $20, $30, more?

Really looking forward to this now - can't believe it's next week!

Andre

My guess is that it would be around $20 tops if only because a good cabbie will take you down Van Ness to Lombard and into the Presidio. I was just at the museum this past weekend for an event and I was keeping track of what streets were near instead of my usual auto pilot in an attempt to help. If the cabbie is unsure where in the Presidio you want to go, just tell him to take Lincoln down to Montgomery once you're in the Presidio. The Walt Disney Family Museum is right next to the Presidio Visitors Center.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast