Question for the experts!

Hi everyone,

I had a question for those in the know. I am in the preliminary planning stages for a Disney cruise this coming Thanksgiving week. I've found airfare that is still pretty reasonable for that particular week, but it leaves me with an interesting opportunity. The cruise gets back into LA on Sunday, November 27th, at 9:00am. The flight that is looking the most promising leaves LAX at 11:50pm that night.

With that 14 hour window, I was considering making a short day trip to Disneyland. I currently have two complimentary CP passes that I probably won't get to use before they expire, so the park itself would be free. Transportation, on the other hand, is looking to be a bit steep. I guess the question I have is, would it be worth it? I would think that the Sunday after Thanksgiving would be pretty packed. When I worked at WDW, that day wasn't overly busy, but I would guess that's due to a lot of guests having to leave that day; I would imagine SoCal doesn't have that issue.

What do you guys think? Would we be able to see enough to make it worth our while? Also, do you have any tips for transportation from the Cruise to DL, and then from DL to LAX? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Nerd

Re: Question for the experts!

and where would you keep all your stuff while you are at the park? I don't think a locker is going to hold a weeks worth of "cruise gear"

---------- Post added 07-24-2011 at 10:33 AM ----------

Whats the best deal you have found for transportation from the Ship to the Park and then to LAX?
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I wouldn't be as worried about how packed DL is going to be the Sunday after Thanksgiving. LAX is going to be an absolute nightmare.

I would do something more local to where the port is. Maybe stay in Long Beach and see the Aquarium of the Pacific and/or the Queen Mary.

You could do DL but considering the time you will need alto get to LAX on this day your time there will be short.

If you are able to switch to John Wayne then I would say that DL is definitely do-able.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

If you go there knowing it didn't cost you admission it'll be much more relaxing. Sure transportation will be a moderate price but you go there knowing there are a few rides you want to go on and you won't feel rushed. I'd do it!

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    and where would you keep all your stuff while you are at the park? I don't think a locker is going to hold a weeks worth of "cruise gear"

---------- Post added 07-24-2011 at 10:33 AM ----------

Whats the best deal you have found for transportation from the Ship to the Park and then to LAX?
    For this trip I was really hoping to avoid checked bags. I've been able to pull this off for week long vacations in the past. I called and talked to DCL and they recommended the lockers. What's the largest locker available?

For transportation, so far the best I've been able to find is Disney itself. I was originally going to take Supershuttle from the ship to LAX, which would cost 17 dollars per person. Supershuttle from Disneyland itself costs about 23 dollars per person, while the shuttle from the Disneyland Hotel is 16 per person. DCL has transport between the ship and the DLH for 30 dollars per person. So I figure, if I can leave from DLH, it would cost about 29 bucks a person to go to Disneyland for the part of the day. Supershuttle's pickup is anywhere between 8:30 and 9:00, since our flight would be at 11:50pm.

I guess at this point it's still an up-in-the-air option for us. I'd hate for my comp tickets to be wasted, and I haven't been to a Disney park in over two years now (getting serious withdrawals...not cool). I guess at this point any time at the park would be seen as a bonus and not a necessity. Lots of logistics to work out, I'm just hoping for the best!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Just saw a commercial on tv for something called shuttle2lax.com. I haven't looked into it, but they said the cost is $20 from anywhere. And they kept on emphasizing anywhere for a flat $20. Something tells me there's more to it but it doesn't hurt to look into it I suppose.