Best route from DLR to I-15/Vegas

Hey there,
    I've decided that on way home from the DLR in April to go through Vegas. Any tips or info on the best road to take from the resort to get to I-15 would be much appreciated.
    Matthew

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Best route from DLR to I-15/Vegas

Ball road east to the 57 North, 2nd exit is the 91 east. About 15 miles to the 15 north.....Voila!@

• Circle of Ancients

Yup, that's the best route as long as you avoid rush hour on the 91.

I disagree. The 57 North to the 60 to the 15 is better. The 91 traffic is ridiculous if you hit it. The 57 at least has a carpool lane.

• Rock Star Minion

Alternative: The 57 North to The 210 East.
    I see four possibilities. All of them are bad weekdays leaving DL from around 3PM to about 7PM.

Getting home to Southern Oregon from Vegas will be a real adventure. North US95 to West US6 to West CA120 to North US395 at around Mono Lake. Then, you can go through Yosemite on West CA120 to North CA99, or stay on North US395 and turn on CA36 to go through Lassen Volcanic.
    Your choice.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I plan on leaving the resort around 10 AM. As far as my route home I'm thinking about going the long route back on 15 through Barstow then Bakersfield and north on 5. I know there are some high elevations taking the back roads and in April I am worried about snow on the passes.
    Matthew

• Rock Star Minion

That would be the "nothing to see" route. Safer, sure. Some of those passes I mentioned would be closed. You'd have to go all the way to Tahoe and then onto The 80. Lots more to see, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Alternative: The 57 North to The 210 East.
    I see four possibilities. All of them are bad weekdays leaving DL from around 3PM to about 7PM.

Getting home to Southern Oregon from Vegas will be a real adventure. North US95 to West US6 to West CA120 to North US395 at around Mono Lake. Then, you can go through Yosemite on West CA120 to North CA99, or stay on North US395 and turn on CA36 to go through Lassen Volcanic.
    Your choice.
    120 from 395 to Yosemite is Tioga Pass, usually closed until just before Memorial Day (last winter was so bad it didn't open until sometime in late June) 120 the other direction is often closed too. I do agree, a much, much more scenic route though. You could back track to 395 and follow it up the eastern side of the sierras though, it is definitely more scenic than I5 (although you won't be able to play our favorite family game "name that central valley smell). As you said, weather conditions are pretty variable that time of year but you should be able to get a good feel for how it's going to be and change your plans accordingly. If there haven't been any storms recently 395 is kept pretty clear, chain controls, etc usually only last for a couple days. My aunt lives in northern Oregon and she goes home via 395 north to Susanville and then cuts over to the west.

My trip has just got pushed back to the end of April/early May so for my home voyage I'll definatly watch the weather. I am familiar with Northern 395 as I often travel to Reno for week end trips. Thanks to all who have posted.
    Matthew