Early planning for September DLR vacation.

Hey everybody,

Over the New Years Holiday, a few members of the family decided to have a Disneyland trip sometime this fall. In the past we've typically gone in mid-to-late October, but I've heard that mid-September is even better, as kids and locals are heading back to school.

This is also the first Disney trip where I'll be paying for the majority of the expenses, so I'm looking for the best deals available. Anyone know if there are seasonal deals that should be coming out around that time to save me some money?

I think our initial plan was to stay at a Disneyland Hotel, but we're figuring that we can get a hotel room at some HoJo-type hotel for half the price. Do you typically get better pricing if you do everything through a travel agent/site or is it more economical to do things ala carte?

Re: Early planning for September DLR vacation.

Labor Day week will be the best time because that is when kids go back to school and crowds tend to be very low.

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

Doesn't a whole lot of stuff go down that week due to Holiday renovations?

The only closure you can pretty much guarantee is the Haunted Mansion for the holiday makeover, which usually ends in the middle of September.

Other than that it would be a guess. Right now it looks like the latest rehab schedule is updated up to June 2012. If you wait until March you should be able to see what is planned for September.

In my experience, the closer you are to the end of summer the better it will be for you in regards to your favorite attraction being open and the crowds being low.
    Last edited by Brisal73; 01-09-2012 at 10:45 AM.

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

• Under that tree again!

It always a tradeoff. Low crowds and prices for more rehabs, shorter park hours and entertainment. September weather is nice but can be hot.

September is good all the way through but the weekends are always busy when looking at crowds. Even Labor Day week is pretty calm as most kids have school that week.

If you want to see the night shows, and have short waits, try to visit for a few days mixing midweek and weekend. Like a Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Or Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

For rehabs they always happen that month, but the sure ones are Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion. SM closes the weekdays before Halloween starts and Haunted Mansion the 3 weeks before Halloween Season. Halloween Season likely will start on the 14th or maybe the 21st. Firm dates should be out in June as that's when they offer the party tickets to AP holders and give out details of the season.

For a hotel you will save a lot staying offsite. Here are links to two hotel deals. Hojo may open some dates in September at some point for Entertainment Card rates.
    Discount Hotel Next To Disneyland - Carousel Inn and Suites - MiceChat Approved
    HojoAnaheim Innsider Boards • View topic - When is the low season Entertainment Rate available?

Ticket deals are common then too, keep and eye out in August. It's best to book on your own and separate to find deals on both hotel and tickets. No need to pay a middleman to find deals when you can access the internet.

Excellent advice Brisal and Swampy!

Here's the current plan (subject to change)

The group: 6 people - Me, my elderly parents, 12 year-old niece, 4 year-old nephew, and 3 year-old nephew.

Hotel choice: We're looking to cram all 6 into a single, standard room. I've spoken with my parents, and one of their chief concerns is that I choose a nearby hotel that will allow them to take easy mid-day breaks. The Grand Californian is the pipe dream. If I can afford it, without feeling like I'm breaking the bank, I'll do it. The private entrance/proximity makes it sound really appealing. If I can't afford it, it'll end up being a toss-up between the DLH and the closest good neighbor hotel. I've heard that despite being on Disney property, the Disneyland Hotel is actually further from the main gate than some hotels on Harbor Blvd.

Here's the current kerfuffle: this is a party of 6 people, and travel websites I visit won't let me put more than 5 people in a single room. I can't get two rooms, because the kids need supervision, and it would be as expensive as sin. Do you think the DLR hotels, specifically the GCH, would allow our group to occupy a single room? The extra member of our group would only be 3 years old, so it's not like we're stuffing 6 adults into the same room. Plus the 3 kids would sleep on the floor in sleeping bags. Do you think the hotel would turn us down?

I've got tons of questions about the GCH, but I'll keep the cart behind the horse.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    Hotel choice: We're looking to cram all 6 into a single, standard room.
    The problem with this is that this will violate fire codes that determine the occupancy limits on hotel rooms. This is why websites are not coming up with rooms.

I've spoken with my parents, and one of their chief concerns is that I choose a nearby hotel that will allow them to take easy mid-day breaks.
    This will be important also the young kids may need a midday nap if they are up early and out late if you go when hours are long.

I've heard that despite being on Disney property, the Disneyland Hotel is actually further from the main gate than some hotels on Harbor Blvd.
    This is true. Depending on room location, some Harbor hotels are closer than the GCH. It can really take more time to walk through the GCH to even the special DCA entrance as it does from the close rooms at the Park Vue Inn and Best Western Park Place that are just across Harbor. About ten of the Harbor locations are closer than the DLH and PPH.

I can't get two rooms, because the kids need supervision, and it would be as expensive as sin.
    You will need to be flexible.

Do you think the hotel would turn us down?
    Positively. They won't make an acception for you to break a law and be an accomplice.

Here are your options, book two rooms that are connecting, You can do this at the Disney hotels by calling instead of using the website.

You can get a suite offsite. The Carousel Inn has a few, most of the hotel/motels do.

Or

You can get connecting rooms. Previously mention Hojo Anaheim offers this, as do the Disney Hotels. Also the Candy Cane Inn, the Ramada Maingate, the Best Western Park Place, the Tropicana Inn, and the Anaheim Plaza. These Harbor locations are all within 10 minutes, and 2 rooms at any of these are less than 1 room at the DLH or GCH.

• Banned User

I always book myself to save.

For nearby hotel putting 6 in a room, I'd say Desert Inn and Suites. As close as you can get. I just did a search. Mid-sept, 2 queen and a fold out couch = $79 a night, the C1 Family parlor suite has 4 queens for $99 a night (beware, one bathroom), 4 queens and 2 bathrooms is the C2 and $119 a night.

Denny's across the parking lot to the south and the crosswalk to DLR a few steps north.

Discount hopper tickets are frequently available via the offical website. Currently discounted tickets expire starting spring so you will have to wait to see what the fall deal will be. Other dicounts are usually so-cal resident only.

Meals is where you can really save. We have been boycotting Disneyland food for awhile now. I don't mind paying 2x as much for food as good as McD, but I'll bedanged if I'll pay 2x as much for food half as good as McD (and I hate McD). We eat a big brekfast, just snack in the parks, back to the room or DTD for late lunch, more snacks... MAYBE one meal, a late dinner, in the parks, if we have to.

Disney did have a couple acceptable meals like the chicken strips at Horseshoe (now replaced with crud nuggets barely fit for a dog) or the chicken pasta at Pizza Port (last couple times, smaller portions with half as much chicken) but it seems they are systimatically attempting to eliminate any meals that are a reasonable alternative to overpriced crud.

Will the 3, 4, or even the 12 y/o really appreciate the difference between a $5 huge meal at Denny's and a $10 small mickey shaped pancake in the parks or between $5 burger and fires at McD instead of $10 dry old burger and fries in the park?

Hiya

We just decided this weekend that our next trip is going to be the end of September, the cheapest, walking distance hotel/motel I could find was the Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites, we got a room with two queen beds for $77, after all parking taxes, and resort fees. I just checked with your above family situation and it appears that the C1 - Parlor Family Suite accomodates up to 8 people and is listed at $99 per night Here is the link, it looks a little old but from what I have read in the reviews it is clean (I am okay with old if it is cheap and clean!):

Anaheim California Hotel - Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites

In the past we have stayed at the Hojo, but they don't seem to have any entertainment rates listed for September!! That is what happened when we went last September too

---------- Post added 01-16-2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

LOL, I just basically repeated what dishmel said It is certainly Monday morning

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

If you're really set on the GCH, I think you're going to have to get either connecting rooms, or one of their DVC villas. You can do the latter by going here:

David's Disney Vacation Club Point Rentals

among other things. I think that way is cheaper than paying rack rates, but I could be mistaken there, so don't quote me on that.

BTW - I always stay at the GCH when I go, so I totally think its worth it, but that's just me - I'm a hotel snob.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

I would look into the Carousel Inn & Suites and probably a 2 room club level will suit your needs, ask for the MiceChat discount when you call. Also you can get pretty good rates at the HoJo with the entertainment card discount, they also have the same discount if your an AP holder, if not you can still receive the MiceChat discount of 15% or so. If you want something directly across the street then the Desert Inn & Suites is the closest and they can accommodate your size party.