Question August or September?

Hi everyone,

My mom, dad and I are planning on going to Disneyland together this year. We always go to DL right before the beginning of high season (Usually May) so park hours are still longer and the weather is warm, and daylight hours are longer too. We are all anxious to see the new Cars Land. However we would like to try going late August or early September when crowds start to die down a bit down due to kids going back to school. Does anyone have any recommendations on which week is the best, if there are usually any holidays I should avoid etc? I know the Haunted Mansion goes down for it's overlay early September and Space Mountain usually does too, but I would skip those if I had to.

Re: August or September?

Late August and Early September is PERFECT (I'm planning to go to Orlando during that time).
    I would recommend going Labor Day week. The park is almost dead during that week (even on the holiday) and most attractions will be open.

You can also visit my site mouseexpedition.net for further trip advice.

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

SWEET! Thank you!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    I would recommend going Labor Day week. The park is almost dead during that week (even on the holiday) and most attractions will be open.
    Yes Labor day week is not too bad, pretty much only busy on the weekend and low crowds during the week.

The very end of August is alright too, I do mean the very end. The week of the 20th-24th may be aweful with lot ofAPs being allowed in for thier first chance to experience Carsland. The 27th-31 will have closer to medium crowds as some go back to school.

OK thanks for your replies, I really appreciate them. Forgive me but I thought Car's land was opening in June? Have I heard incorrectly? Or are some AP's not allowed to go during the summer? I dont own an AP as much as I'd LOVE to. I know there are different types of AP's and depending on which ones you get certain days blocked out, but I would think that there are certain days during the summer any AP holder can go to see Cars Land.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
    OK thanks for your replies, I really appreciate them. Forgive me but I thought Car's land was opening in June? Have I heard incorrectly? Or are some AP's not allowed to go during the summer? I dont own an AP as much as I'd LOVE to. I know there are different types of AP's and depending on which ones you get certain days blocked out, but I would think that there are certain days during the summer any AP holder can go to see Cars Land.
    I think you got you answer elsewhere, but will reply because other people may read and benefit from these answer when they have similiar questions.

Yes, Carsland is opening in early Summer or late Spring if you prefer.

There is 4 types of DLR APs. The biggest percentage of them, by a long shot are the SoCal APs. They are blocked from early Summer until late Summer. The Smaller groups of APs aren't blocked or just blocked on Saturdays. But it's the big groups who number in the hundred of thousands that effect crowding.

You can see the types and when they are blocked in the link below. Just keep in mind that there is about half a million of the type blocked the most and a quarter million of the type blocked the second most. That's why they impact crowds the most.

Blockout Calendars | Annual Passports | Disneyland Resort

GOT IT!!! :-) Thanks for all your replies. It's been helpful. I think we have decided on taking a chance to go September 2nd - 10th during Labor Day week. We can get an incredible package deal then.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
    GOT IT!!! :-) Thanks for all your replies. It's been helpful. I think we have decided on taking a chance to go September 2nd - 10th during Labor Day week. We can get an incredible package deal then.
    That sounds great. That's a long visit so you will have plenty of time and mostly low crowds to get all sorts of rides and shows in. Just keep in mind that the daily schedule of Fireworks, Fantasmic and World of Color may end during that period. See them while you have a chance. Also watch the refurb schedule and get in rides that will close or open during your visit. Usually a few close after labor day for short mulitday or week rehabs.

The biggest dissapointment is you are most likely going to be there while HM is closed for its holiday overlay.

I was there this past November and saw the Haunted Mansion overlay. It's so cool. I actually prefer it more then the original. However it's not my favorite ride so I wouldn't feel so upset about missing it. My family has been going to Disneyland every year for the last 8 years, sometimes twice. Just never at this time. So we don't know what to expect crowd or show wise, but we know our favorite things we would love to see. It would be sad to see WOC go down during that week. My dad has never seen it, and I would love to take him. We will have to try and make it before Labor Day is over. We have several other days planned elsewhere then just Disney, but even still we will have plenty of Disney time with a 6 day hopper.

I would also recommend checking out others things while at the Disneyland Resort:
    Near or at the Disneyland Resort:
    Trader Sams Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel: Even if you do not drink the place is awesome to just see.
    If you like steak... Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel; Awesome restaurant
    300 Bowling at Gardenwalk: A pretty fun place to bowl
    The Cellar in Fullerton: its a high priced French Food restaurant that was designed by the same Imagineers that worked on the Pirates attraction
    In N Out: a Southern California Classic... A must if you like Hamburgers
    Huntington Beach: a somewhat decent beach area, but good for your trip because it is close to Disneyland
    Angels Baseball game: if you like the sport it will be a nice way to relax
    Knotts Berry Farm: The worlds first Theme Park. Bigger rides than Disneyland but mixed with a classic theme park twist

Not near Disneyland, but worth the drive:
    El Capitan Theater: It is an awesome theater that is owned by Disney, plus you will be very close to the tourist area of Hollywood and Highland
    Universal Studios Hollywood: A great secondary theme park to the Disneyland Resort, plus I hear the new Transformers attraction will be quite good. If you have the money and you LOVE movies do the VIP tour
    Six Flags Magic Mountain: if you absolutely LOVE BIG rollercoasters. It is one of the top parks for that type of an experience
    Santa Monica Pier: Beach town community with lots of shops and things to do

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort