Disneyland Trip Planning, for May

Just found this site a few days ago, have been lurking ever since. My wife and I are planning a trip for May with our two kids, ages Girl 3 and Boy 1. I am pretty excited to take them. My daughter is super excited, so that makes me excited too. We live in SLC, UT and plan on making the drive. We will get into Anaheim on Saturday May 5th and spend Sunday Monday and Tuesday in the parks. Just a couple of questions I have as I am starting the Planning.

1) What are the crowds typically like this time of year? From some of the research that I have done it seems that they should be pretty minimal. But just want to get your guy's input.

2) I have been looking at staying at the Quality Inn and Suites. Looks like the best deal for us smaller budget. From here what is the Anaheim Resort Transit like from here? What is the hotel like? I like that it is pretty close and has a free breakfast, which is also good. Any other options that I should consider?

3) We want to to take our daughter to a character dining. We are thinking that we want to take her to Ariels Grotto for the Princess one, she is all about princesses right now. I am curious as to what the food is like there and if it is worth the cost.

4) I have looked at the World of Color dining option. The cost is a little high, but just want to see if it would be worth doing.

I am sure I am going to have a ton more questions here in the next few days, but this will get the ball rolling.

Appreciate any and all help.

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: Disneyland Trip Planning, for May

I can answer your WOC one. We went with the picnic option (about $15.00). The food was good and we got yellow section FP for the show. We wound up with absolutely perfect viewing. We looked at the other dining options and felt that they were just a bit too expensive. Hope this helps and have a magical trip!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• I won't grow up!

Hi From Salt Lake! I make the drive from SLC to Disneyland at least twice a year my poor little ones are so used it by now lol. Let me help with some questions:

1) From my experience crowds in may are hit and miss but ALWAYS busy on the weekend. if you go earlier in the month, during the week it shouldn't be so bad.

2) The Quality is a great hotel. The continental breakfast is just like any other - doughnuts and watered down hot chocolate. But, if you don't mind it then go for it! Its pretty close, so you can walk it if your a go getter, or take ART. It shares a tram with 2 or 3 other hotels so the ride isn't that long either.
    3) My girls love princesses too, but I HATE the princess meal - its like a cattle call of princesses. Never much time with them and they always seem to be over whelmed. At least that was my last experience with it. Hopefullly it has changed since then. Maybe try Goofy's I love that one and the food is a bit more kid friendly.

Working daily to infect my two little princesses with Disney obsession

I can help answer 1) and 3) for you.

1) That part of May should be fine. Sunday will probably be crowded, but Monday and Tuesday should be fine. Did you also take a look at the weather for that time? That will be an important factor as well.

3) I've eaten at Ariel's Grotto, but not for Character Dining. I like that they have waterfront dining. The food was ok, not the greatest, but not bad either. Regardless, your kids will probably be too excited to eat anyway since there will be princesses there. One thing I would also suggest is try to make reservations at disney dining now. Many places like Blue Bayou fill up quick, so the earlier you book the better.

Hope this helps.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyj View Post
    1) What are the crowds typically like this time of year? From some of the research that I have done it seems that they should be pretty minimal. But just want to get your guy's input.
    As stated above crowds will be present on Sunday, they will tail off a bit after the fireworks though you and your kids may not be too awake after that. That's the reason crowds drop on Sunday nights. Monday and Tuesday will be quiet.

2) I have been looking at staying at the Quality Inn and Suites. Looks like the best deal for us smaller budget. From here what is the Anaheim Resort Transit like from here? What is the hotel like? I like that it is pretty close and has a free breakfast, which is also good. Any other options that I should consider?
    Which Quality Suites? Katella or Manchester? I'm guessing the QI on Manchester, which is the closer of the two. It's basic, but no red flags. It should be about $65 a night (plus tax at 17%). The ART stop is about 100 yards away. You can walk which will take about 15 minutes. You will probably end up doing a mix of the two, since the ART runs every 20 minutes it may be quicker to walk than to wait.

Your other options. Hojo, a third closer, no breakfast, but a step up in room quality, with an entertainment card about $65 a night. Carousel Inn and Suites very close, simple breakfast good rooms, great beds, about $89 a night at the mice chat rate. Del Sol, close, simple breakfast, QI like basic rooms, $75 a night. Anaheim Plaza Inn basic rooms, no breakfast, about 10 minute walk, $70 a night.

3) We want to to take our daughter to a character dining. We are thinking that we want to take her to Ariels Grotto for the Princess one, she is all about princesses right now. I am curious as to what the food is like there and if it is worth the cost.
    It's served family style. I think it is a great option to do for your girl before your boy is old. Make a reservation for before the park opens so you don't waste park time. Eat there on Monday or Tuesday when crowds are low and DL also opens late.

4) I have looked at the World of Color dining option. The cost is a little high, but just want to see if it would be worth doing.
    [/QUOTE]

Probably not. If it looks to be expensive, know that you are paying for the food nothing else. They don't insure a better view or shorter wait. You can get the WoC fastpasses for free during the day. In either case get to the viewing area early to get a spot along the railings in any level or Paradise Park.

1) What are the crowds typically like this time of year? There are a few Big conventions, I dont know the exact dates as i cant access them at home right now.

2) I have been looking at staying at the Quality Inn and Suites. I like this hotel. If your looking for close with in the suites category id look into Desert Palms Inn. Also Call WDTC 714-520-5060. I work for them also, we can see what deals they have for that time of year as well as look at 55 Good Neighbor Hotels and see who at that time is running a free night with free full breakfast in the AM. Is usually easier for us to do it then trying to do it at home sometimes.

3) We want to to take our daughter to a character dining. its very well worth it for the breakfast, she gets to meet the characters as well as interact with them more then anyone else could. Id also like to say the food has drastically changed from a lot of the reviews ive read before being a CM about this location. remember also the tax AND tip are included in the price. Dont tip at a buffet? Most people dont and i understand their thinking but they really sure, those men and woman cleaning the tables are paid minimal

4) I have looked at the World of Color dining option. Personally id go with my choice here. Do the Disney Princess celebration at Ariel's Grotto. And the day you want to go see WOC get to the Fastpass area for that attraction and get your ticket VERY early this way youll get the same viewing area YELLOW.

At the number i gave you above, we can help you with everything you need. Hotel,tickets,dining, other Socal Attractions, air fare,car rentals. At WDTC we do it all

---------- Post added 02-14-2012 at 03:43 PM ----------

Oh almost forgot. Since we do offer to transform our little girls into princess's chec out the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, look at it online for DISNEYLAND. I think its quite affordable actually. (714)781 STYLE