Question Help planning my trip

Hi Folks

I'm doing a week long, solo trip in mid July - I'm from Australia, so it's quite a long way to come, but I love Disney and wanted a break on my own!

I've booked a package that includes a five day park hopper ticket and accomodation at a good neighbour hotel.

So far, this is my plan - I fly in on a Saturday morning and will get the bus from LAX. I can't check into the hotel until mid-afternoon, so thought I would leave my bags, and go check out Downtown Disney (getting sunlight is important for avoiding jetlag, so walking around outside is good).

Sunday, I've booked a one-day tour of Universal Studios.

Then Monday to Friday Disneyland/DCA. I fly back out Friday night, but quite late.

I'm figuring on getting to the parks early, and going back to the hotel around lunchtime to have a swim and chill out for a couple of hours before going back to the parks (except Friday when I will just plough through the day until I have to leave for the airport).

I've booked the Blue Bayou for lunch one day (I've wanted to eat there since I came to Disneyland as a kid) and the Carthay Circle for my last dinner on Thursday. I've also booked a World of Color picnic dinner for Monday.

So there are a few things I'd like to know from all of you who get to visit more often than me!

1. If I don't take a bag, so don't need to go through the security check, how long before park opening would I need to get there to get in right away once it opens?

2. I am thinking of booking a town car to take me back to the airport, to maximise my time on the Friday - does anyone have recommendations?

3. I know about (and will use!) fastpass and single rider lines - but wondering which rides I really need to plan to do first thing in the morning to minimise the wait? Which usually run out of fastpasses?

4. Any other recommendations for planning each day? (I'm a planning kind of person!)

Very grateful for any and all suggestions!

cheers
    Rebekka

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Re: Help planning my trip

1. If you carry a fanny pack or purse they will still check that, but it's pretty quick. I advise 30 mins before park opening to line up at the gates. If it's not a magic morning entry then you can be there for rope drop on Main Street in Disneyland, it's always fun.

3. For DCA do everything in CarsLand 1st thing in the morning, that will remain very busy throughout the summer. For Disneyland I would say hit up space mountain, matterhorn, indiana jones and fantasyland 1st thing in the morning.

4. ride the Lilly Belle in Disneyland if it's out that day. talk to the conductor at main street station to request to ride in it. you can also request to ride with the captain on the Mark Twain, it's always fun. eat a dole whip and sit somewhere in the hub and watch the world go by and just soak in the atmosphere. eat some beignets from Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at the to-go pick up outside.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    1. If you carry a fanny pack or purse they will still check that, but it's pretty quick. I advise 30 mins before park opening to line up at the gates. If it's not a magic morning entry then you can be there for rope drop on Main Street in Disneyland, it's always fun.

3. For DCA do everything in CarsLand 1st thing in the morning, that will remain very busy throughout the summer. For Disneyland I would say hit up space mountain, matterhorn, indiana jones and fantasyland 1st thing in the morning.

4. ride the Lilly Belle in Disneyland if it's out that day. talk to the conductor at main street station to request to ride in it. you can also request to ride with the captain on the Mark Twain, it's always fun. eat a dole whip and sit somewhere in the hub and watch the world go by and just soak in the atmosphere. eat some beignets from Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at the to-go pick up outside.

Thanks for the tips! When I say no bag, I really mean no bag - no fanny pack, no purse, just what I have in my pockets! I assume that means I don't need the full 30 minutes to line up as I can skip the bag check line?

1. If I don't take a bag, so don't need to go through the security check, how long before park opening would I need to get there to get in right away once it opens?
    I don't think security check is a big deal. Bag checks maybe take 30 seconds and that is it. I rather have a bag for convenience and then get a locker if I need it

2. I am thinking of booking a town car to take me back to the airport, to maximise my time on the Friday - does anyone have recommendations?
    Traffic can be horrendous in the Los Angeles area, so plan accordingly. If you plan to look around outside of Disneyland it would be cheaper than getting a cab.

3. I know about (and will use!) fastpass and single rider lines - but wondering which rides I really need to plan to do first thing in the morning to minimise the wait? Which usually run out of fastpasses?
    Since you are going solo I would use that to your benefit. For example, Don't worry about the Radiator Springs Racers Fastpass just use the single rider option and head to Luigi's Tires first thing in the morning. Then Racers Single Rider or the Paradise Pier area with Toy Story Mania, Mickey's Fun Wheel etc.

At Disneyland get there by 745 for the 8am opening and do all of Fantasyland before 9am, and then go to Toontown and finish that by 10am. Remember Matterhorn has a Single Rider option as well so use that every time and make sure you experience both sides. You don't need to worry about Space Mountain or Indiana Jones because they have Fastpass. You want to go to areas or attractions that do not have the fastpass option

4. Any other recommendations for planning each day? (I'm a planning kind of person!)
    Make sure you take the time and go the Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel.

At Disneyland, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe, and the Monte Cristo Sandwich at Cafe Orleans.

At California Adventure, the Cove Bar to relax and try out each snack option at the Cozy Cone Motel

At Universal get to the park at opening and head directly to Transformers. Go through the Stand By line so you experience the full queue at least once, then single rider it after that. Be sure to ride that attraction as much as possible because the escalator climb makes it almost impossible to go back an forth throughout the park. Also, don;t forget about Citywalk. It would be a nice place to visit after a day at the park and have dinner.

You can visit my site at Mouseexpedition.net and email me at [email protected] if you have further questions.

Have fun and take your time!
    Last edited by Brisal73; 07-02-2012 at 12:46 PM.

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

• Pilot EdForceOne

bag check is separate from where you line up for the gates. Bag check is at the entrances to the esplanade.. after which.. is where the turnstiles are. So basically - bag check has no impact on queuing up for the gates because you do that first.. then go get in line And bag check doesn't back up early in the AM like that.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• genie stole my BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekkap View Post

I'm figuring on getting to the parks early, and going back to the hotel around lunchtime to have a swim and chill out for a couple of hours before going back to the parks (except Friday when I will just plough through the day until I have to leave for the airport).

Great idea, the swimming will help loosen you up.

I've booked the Blue Bayou for lunch one day (I've wanted to eat there since I came to Disneyland as a kid) and the Carthay Circle for my last dinner on Thursday. I've also booked a World of Color picnic dinner for Monday.

Another good choice, I would also do a character meal. Then again I'm just a big kid while at Disneyland.

You will still have to wait in the security lines. The only difference is you will have no bag to be checked

I would be sure to leave plenty of time here. Friday traffic could be terrible.

If you start at DL, I would start by going to Fantasy land and riding everything possible there. At CA you should probably hurry over to Cars Land and get a Radiator Springs Racers fastpass. Although if you are coming alone you will be able to board most ride quickly using Single rider passes.

Have Fun
    Very grateful for any and all suggestions!

cheers
    Rebekka
    Hope I helped.