Morning drive from Anaheim to LA..

So I was looking to go to Universal for a day or so. I'm staying in an Anaheim area hotel. Hows the traffic in the mornings in October? Any tips/tricks. Mind you I am from New Jersey and am flying into LAX. Thanks!

Also, I am scheduled to arrive at LAX at 10 a.m. Should I go to Universal from the airport? Would that be a better solution to avoid traffic and then having to come back up north for Universal twice? (planning 2 days to go to Universal)
    Last edited by abooch; 08-22-2012 at 07:48 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Morning drive from Anaheim to LA..

Morning traffic is awful. Saturday or Sunday is not bad at all, though, construction notwithstanding.
    You can take AMTRAK or Metrolink from Anaheim to Union Station, then the Metro Red Line to Universal.
    Twice? Not sure you need that much time, but it's been ages since I've been there. You could drive one day, the trains the other day, and provide a report to the rest of us.

From airport:
    You'll be at Universal around Noon from arrival at the airport, driving. (That means: getting luggage, getting rent-a-car, and then driving there.)

Alternative:
    1. Last two days, go to Universal.
    2. Check out of Anaheim.
    3. Drive up to NoHo (North Hollywood) in the morning.
    4. Go to uni Day 1.
    5. Check in to hotel.
    6. Check out of hotel in morning.
    7. Go to uni Day 2.
    8. Go to airport.

Just a thought.

Or, the other way:
    1. Arrive at airport.
    2. Go to Uni, Day 1.
    3. Check in to noho hotel.
    4. Check out in the morning.
    5. Go to Uni, Day 2.
    6. Go to Anaheim.
    7. Enjoy rest of vacation.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Was thinking of going to Universal straight from the airport when I arrive on a Wednesday and spend the day in the area. Drive to Anaheim. Then maybe go back to LA on Sunday.

Just about any idea is better than driving to LA from Anaheim on a weekday morning. Including not going at all.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandreport View Post
    Just about any idea is better than driving to LA from Anaheim on a weekday morning. Including not going at all.
    Thing is, my flight home is at 10:10 am on a Tuesday. Wat time should I leave 6:30? haha

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Another thing to keep in mind - the smaller airports are a LOT nicer to use than LAX - Sorry, it's true. If I was making that trip, I'd fly into Long Beach or Ontario, do Disneyland with an Anaheim area hotel.

Then rent a car or hop on Metrolink/Red Line up to North Hollywood for Universal. Two days one night at a NoHo Hotel. There are several good ones, including the Black Tower on-site (Marriott?)

And the last day it's an easy little hop by Bus or Cab or Van Service (Supershuttle etc.) over to Bob Hope Hollywood/Burbank airport to catch an outbound flight.

It doesn't make much sense to go back to Anaheim every night just to avoid changing hotels. "A Vacation" means maximizing Fun Time and minimizing Windshield Time.

Unless of course you're taking the Scenic Route to deliberately enjoy the Scenery, which can be done here but you'd have to go the long way 'round to do it - From Anaheim you'd go either North 57 or {East 91, North 71 to the North 57} up to the 210, then West 210 to West 134 to Universal City.

Lots of things to do on that route you could spend a few days on alone wandering on your way, to mention just a few: LA County Arboretum, Huntington Library & Botanical Gardens, Griffith Park, Old Town Pasadena for the Rose Parade route...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Team Hail HYDRA

^ they are

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by abooch View Post
    Thing is, my flight home is at 10:10 am on a Tuesday. Wat time should I leave 6:30? haha
    I see that no one else is laughing. 6:30AM is just about right. You'll want to be at least at security 2 hours before take off, and you'll have to drop off your rental and STILL get to your terminal.

Alternative: get a hotel room nearer to the airport for final night's stay. Near to the beach, which, in California, you don't have to pay some city fee to walk on the sand.

Alternative #2: see if you can drop your rental car off in Anaheim the night before, take Metro Bus 460 to Green Line Station (one hour), take Green line train to LAX stop (25 minutes), get on LAX Shuttle to terminal (10-15 minutes).

Alternative #3: see if you can drop your rental car off in Anaheim the night before, take Disneyland Express morning of departure.

Alternative #4 -- no car at all:
    a) Take DL Express from LAX to Anaheim;
    b) Take Metro 460 to Green Line Station, to Blue Line Station, to Red Line Station, to Uni. Reverse on the way home.
    c) take DL Express from Anaheim to LAX.
    Last edited by sediment; 08-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Yes. 6:30am.

Then for the next trip, book to John Wayne or even the Long Beach airport if possible. No need to go to LAX.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Alternative 5 -
    A: Disneyland Express from LAX to Anaheim
    B: Metro 460 Bus to Green Line LR / Blue Line LR / Red Line Subway / Universal Studios
    (The problem with this one is it's going to take half a day - Do Not Reverse. Pack and move.)
    C: Get a room in North Hollywood, do Universal Studios.
    D: Bus or Hotel Van to Van Nuys Flyaway Bus, Flyaway Bus straight to LAX.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Probably going to go the route of staying near the Airport the last night. Any suggestions as to wear to stay. Not looking to spend a fortune..

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I see that no one else is laughing. 6:30AM is just about right. You'll want to be at least at security 2 hours before take off, and you'll have to drop off your rental and STILL get to your terminal.

Alternative: get a hotel room nearer to the airport for final night's stay. Near to the beach, which, in California, you don't have to pay some city fee to walk on the sand.

Alternative #2: see if you can drop your rental car off in Anaheim the night before, take Metro Bus 460 to Green Line Station (one hour), take Green line train to LAX stop (25 minutes), get on LAX Shuttle to terminal (10-15 minutes).

Alternative #3: see if you can drop your rental car off in Anaheim the night before, take Disneyland Express morning of departure.

Alternative #4 -- no car at all:
    a) Take DL Express from LAX to Anaheim;
    b) Take Metro 460 to Green Line Station, to Blue Line Station, to Red Line Station, to Uni. Reverse on the way home.
    c) take DL Express vrom Anaheim to LAX.
    Um, the 460 drops you off at the 7th street Metro Center, Redline station. Transfering to the Green and Blue line is completely unnecessary, time consuming, and more expensive.

• Rock Star Minion

Depends heavily on morning traffic.
    I appreciate the info, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind - the smaller airports are a LOT nicer to use than LAX - Sorry, it's true. If I was making that trip, I'd fly into Long Beach or Ontario, do Disneyland with an Anaheim area hotel.

Then rent a car or hop on Metrolink/Red Line up to North Hollywood for Universal. Two days one night at a NoHo Hotel. There are several good ones, including the Black Tower on-site (Marriott?)

And the last day it's an easy little hop by Bus or Cab or Van Service (Supershuttle etc.) over to Bob Hope Hollywood/Burbank airport to catch an outbound flight.

It doesn't make much sense to go back to Anaheim every night just to avoid changing hotels. "A Vacation" means maximizing Fun Time and minimizing Windshield Time.

Unless of course you're taking the Scenic Route to deliberately enjoy the Scenery, which can be done here but you'd have to go the long way 'round to do it - From Anaheim you'd go either North 57 or {East 91, North 71 to the North 57} up to the 210, then West 210 to West 134 to Universal City.

Lots of things to do on that route you could spend a few days on alone wandering on your way, to mention just a few: LA County Arboretum, Huntington Library & Botanical Gardens, Griffith Park, Old Town Pasadena for the Rose Parade route...

--<< Bruce >>--
    While nicer they have less service and tend to cost more. For most Long Beach is not much an option since not a whole lot of airlines fly there these days.