Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

traffic DLR to LA

Most of the time when we visit Disney parks we stay right there and don't venture too far.

But our next trip will have us in Anaheim for most of the winter, so we will want to go to different places as well as
    get our fill of Disney.

This is probably a silly question, because there is always traffic. But I am wondering how early to head to Hollywood/Universal/L.A. for example...and how late to wait before getting on the freeway without experiencing bumper to bumper.

Anyone with suggestions and advice...thanks!
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• Rock Star Minion

Re: traffic DLR to LA

During the week, get on the road by 6:30AM. You'll get there by 8 or so. Leave a half hour later, and it will take an hour longer.

Weekends are not as bad. Leave by 8AM or so, should be no problems.

If you have remote access to the internet on your trip, go to "sigalert" or "chp" to get traffic updates. There are several routes to choose from, so find the one with the least traffic.
    Popular choices include:
    5/101
    5/91/710/10/101
    5/91/110/101
    5/91/710/10/5/134/Cahuenga blvd
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    During the week, get on the road by 6:30AM. You'll get there by 8 or so. Leave a half hour later, and it will take an hour longer.

Weekends are not as bad. Leave by 8AM or so, should be no problems.

If you have remote access to the internet on your trip, go to "sigalert" or "chp" to get traffic updates. There are several routes to choose from, so find the one with the least traffic.
    Popular choices include:
    5/101
    5/91/710/10/101
    5/91/110/101
    5/91/710/10/5/134/Cahuenga blvd
    Hey Sediment, thanks so much for the great response. You are always so helpful!

I do have a smartphone and will have wifi where we are staying too so i will definitely check out sigalert or chp and get real time traffic reports.

One day i just want to get on 101 and go north and visit whatever interests us along the way. I have never been to hearst castle or anything up that far so we'll have plenty of time to do this kind of thing.

We will also do Universal, definitely Warner bros. their tour look awesome. Maybe Hollywood but sounds like you get mobbed by in your face weirdos trying to push something on you. Yuk. Would be fun to take in a movie at El Capitan, so we will see.
    I know there's other stuff I want to do too, so maybe 3 or 4 trips north will be in order.

thanks again!

wow i was looking at maps and just saw hearst casle is nearly 5 hrs from anaheim! in my mind it was closer to santa barbara. might cross that one off the list...lol
    Last edited by GraceLovesGoofy; 07-27-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLovesGoofy View Post
    One day i just want to get on 101 and go north and visit whatever interests us along the way. I have never been to hearst castle or anything up that far so we'll have plenty of time to do this kind of thing.

We will also do Universal, definitely Warner bros. their tour look awesome. Maybe Hollywood but sounds like you get mobbed by in your face weirdos trying to push something on you. Yuk. Would be fun to take in a movie at El Capitan, so we will see.
    I know there's other stuff I want to do too, so maybe 3 or 4 trips north will be in order.
    We've done the Warner Bros "Three Hour Tour" a few years back. Make your reservations early, especially if you want to do this during the summer or a school break. Tours only run on weekdays, I believe.

Yes, Hearst Castle is a good five hour drive from Anaheim -- probably more than that.

Hollywood -- keep your wits about you, purses and other carry-alongs well tucked under your arm or across your body, and look like you know where you're going (even if you don't). Stick to daytime. I'm a middle aged woman and have been up along the Walk of Fame several times, usually alone (though one time I brought my then-19 year old daughter, who was whistled at several times). One time I was cleaning Larry Hagman's star (it's not in the perpetual care area) and several people came by and THANKED me for doing that, saying it was really BAD!

Universal Studios -- lots of fun, has the backstage tour as well as City Walk (shopping; similar to Downtown Disney) and lots of amusement park rides. This year they are offering a one-day pass that is usable for a year, but I'm not sure if you have to be a SoCal resident to buy one. It's a good bargain!

BTW, CA-1 and US-101 are two different routes in places. 101 usually goes further inland. CA-1 is the coastal route and is best viewed while driving south. That's because the scenic pullouts are all on the west side of the road, easily accessible from the southbound lanes.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

thanks donna...great info! The more I think about it, I really doubt if we will do Hollywood. Too bad its become so trashy.

• Rock Star Minion

I'm not sure if Hollywood ever wasn't trashy. 1950's, maybe.

Hearst Castle would be more of an overnight trip. If you're driving from Seattle to Anaheim, you could make that a good week of seeing some wonderful sites.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Last time I was there was 1998. It was bad, but not too bad. Kinda reminded me of some streets in downtown Seattle.

I doubt if we will take the time to stop anywhere on the way down from Seattle. Except for our usual three day stay in San Francisco. Gotta hit the Disney museum on the way to the parks! And I also love Golden Gate Park.

I think Getty has two touristy attractions closer to L.A.? I'll check into that as well as other stuff. There are some good threads around about what people do other than Disney on their trips to mickeyland.

• Rock Star Minion

Getty has a museum in the Sepulveda Pass (off The 405 just north of Westwood), and it has the "Getty Villa" up The PCH near Sunset Blvd., which used to be the Getty Museum.

The villa is much closer and looks kinda like the same thing as Hearst Castle....a shameless showing of how the very wealthy built fabulous estates, collected art and demonstrated their superiority...lol

I would hit the Redwood Forests and the Oregon Coast along the way. Did tyhe coast all the way from Vancouver Canada to LA in 2005. Best trip ever.

The coast route is beautiful indeed. We have went that way a few times.

This trip we will probably go I-5 and maybe visit the
    redwoods again during our SF stay.

I would also like to go to Monterey and Carmel area again.

hmmm maybe we should go that way after SF and then we can visit Hearst on the way down.

We don't do a lot of planning ahead with our trips. We like to keep things flexible because we never know what we will find as we venture down to Disneyland all the way from Seattle.

• Rock Star Minion

Caution, the Pacific coast highway from Carmel to San Simeon (Hearst) is not for teh faint of heart or stomach. Take 101 instead.

You mean its very curvy?

• Rock Star Minion

Not enough "vary's".

Very very very curvy.

aha... like roller coaster ride curvy...lol

I know one trip we drove up the coast ALL the way but now i'm not sure if it was pch or 101. I just remember it took forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast