Planning family trip, hoping for guidance on things such as closures

Hi all,

Sorry for the extremely long subject line!

I am looking forward to some input from the much more savvy (heh) people here that can help with our family's Disneyland trip planning.

so, I'll try and be succinct. My wife and I want to take our kids to Disneyland this year. It's been something we have wanted to do for YEARS now, but due to health and financial issues, it simply wasn't feasible. Now, while the health issues are still there (and worse than before) we simply cannot wait and need to make this trip happen.

All was going well, we had the dates booked to go in May, where it's very quiet according to my research, but at the last minute I came to the site here and saw something that has ruined our plans, during the time we will be there, the two most important attractions for my wife, Small world and Pirates, will be closed for renovations. As this may be the only time we can get there, at least in the near future, these are key to the trip, having one of them closed is bad, both is a deal breaker.

The problem is that due to my disability, I can't hang around for hours waiting for rides, plus the thought of going when it's busy is also a problem.

As those 2 attractions are closed until the summer, it shifts our dates until later in the year. We are considering September/October. Thankfully my kids are young enough that it won't be a massive impact to miss a week of school, which provides us options as far as dates are concerned.

But, is that a safe time to assume Pirates and Small world will be open? I know that something could happen causing the rides to be shut down for repair, but as far as standard maintenance goes and prepping for the holiday, what would be the best time to consider?

My wife is pretty upset with regards to delaying the trip, but I understand and appreciate her reasoning. I just want to find a time that will work for her.

Thanks much!

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Planning family trip, hoping for guidance on things such as closures

It is never safe anymore.
    There are planned refurbs (Small World gets a makeover for Small World Holiday sometime in the Fall).
    And there are times when an attraction will simply be closed for whatever reason.

Good luck!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Is there a way to see historical planned rehabs?

If we can at least avoid planned/scheduled work, that will give us a leg up.

• Rock Star Minion

Mouse Planet archives their weekly updates.
    That will show you scheduled annual refurbs. Wouldn't show something like, say, abruptly closed Space Mountain to install new track that took over a year.

There should still be lots to do even if a few attractions are closed. I wouldn't reschedule just because of that. Though, I'm not in your shoes.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I've resigned myself to accepting last minute closures, I know there's no preventing that, and I'm not worried about anything else.

I know there is a ton to do otherwise, but it has always been my wife's dream to share Pirates and Small world with my girls. As we may not be back for a very, very long time, they are must haves for us.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    There are planned refurbs (Small World gets a makeover for Small World Holiday sometime in the Fall).

That usually is roughly October 20-25th to November 10-15th.

It sounds like you want low crowds and cheaper rates. September is ok, but for the first two weeks Haunted Mansion will close to install Halloween Layovers. In general September and October have closures since they have smaller crowds.

I would target the last week of September or first week of October. That is Halloween Season.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

We took the kids last week of Jan 2013. January is notorious for refurbs, but we went anyways. There were some very notable closures (big thunder mtn, small world, grizzly river, splash, even tea cups later in the week, and we "barely" made it onto haunted mansion, which had just reopened). I can honestly say that, despite some big closures, it did NOT put a damper on our fun at all! We're from BC, so we don't make it down very often. When we do, it is completely different every time, and no shortage of fun fun fun all around There are so many attractions that we could have easily enjoyed another 6 days in the parks. I assure you that, even though some big ones are closed for you, you will be overwhelmed with fun. This is coming from a mom of young kids who would have LOVED small world. They thought nothing of it with everything else to do and see! You will soon forget the closures, no matter what they are, especially if you're like me and hardly ever visit.